Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Time to Plan for a New Companion Pass - 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2021, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker

For many folks, getting new credit card(s) in the fall is how they earn Companion Pass. The idea is to get a personal card and business card in October/November and then hit the bonus by January and get the CP for all the remainder of 2022 and all of 2023.

The biz card is currently offering 80,000 point bonus by itself. Any thoughts how long that will be available?

Anyone else in the planning mode?
synergistic likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 10:40 am

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, WN CP AList
Important topic but won't most folks have until the end of Feb this time around?
nsx likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by Bearbear
Important topic but won't most folks have until the end of Feb this time around?
Not sure what Feb has to do with this, other than some people have a promotion that expires at the end of Feb. Ours expires 12/31/21 which is about 23 months after we earned it. (wife's account). So, in our case we want to reach the bonus sometime late in December/early January.

In any event, if that 80k offer goes away soon, then it will be difficult to get there.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
have been thinking about this question ever since the 80k offer appeared.

I just checked the calendar, and my math says you can apply sometime in October (only a few days away!) just so long as you don’t go over the required spend before January.

all that said I would not be surprised if we see new bonus offers before the end of the year, or perhaps new CP offers. The latest offer (ie buy 2 segments, get 2mo CP) was a good sign that WN is still trying to boost loads.

Originally Posted by NoStressHere

In any event, if that 80k offer goes away soon, then it will be difficult to get there.
not really people can simply get a biz card and a personal card.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 6:06 pm

Biz card is great but it's not like the old days, chances are you are going to need a legit business with the necessary time in business plus income to get approved
Old Sep 26, 2021, 6:30 pm

12k away from getting it on personal spend…almost there
Old Sep 27, 2021, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by dmbolp
12k away from getting it on personal spend…almost there

Your spend will get you CP for the rest of 2021 and 2022...............this post was about getting CP until 12/31/2023 or about 23 months if timed correctly.
NoStressHere likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 1:13 pm

Programs: SWA
I was wondering if anyone else was trying to time this out. I think applying now gets the card sometime in the next month or two. Statement end date for third month would be a few days into Jan 2022, meaning if you time the spending cap hit to occur on/about Jan 1, that ought to work?
Old Oct 3, 2021, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hansolo2019
I was wondering if anyone else was trying to time this out. I think applying now gets the card sometime in the next month or two. Statement end date for third month would be a few days into Jan 2022, meaning if you time the spending cap hit to occur on/about Jan 1, that ought to work?
Getting one today means you would get the card in about two weeks. So, first close is late October, or maybe November.

You want to hit the spending cap sometime AFTER the December statement closes, which will be sometime before Jan 1st. Anything that hits after that close in December will go into NEXT year. Too many people think the year ends on Dec 31st. Nope.
Sarah Clingan likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 5:24 am

Programs: SWA
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Getting one today means you would get the card in about two weeks. So, first close is late October, or maybe November.

You want to hit the spending cap sometime AFTER the December statement closes, which will be sometime before Jan 1st. Anything that hits after that close in December will go into NEXT year. Too many people think the year ends on Dec 31st. Nope.
Thank you. That’s my intent - to have the spending bonus get accrued after Jan 1.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 8:23 am

I am going for earning the pass in 2022. Just wanting to be 100% sure I am not messing this up, can someone confirm my understanding please, I know this is very basic but I usually apply a month later to have spend deadline in feb for some more cushion, but got paranoid about the 80k for $5k bonus going away when the 100k sapphire does this week so went ahead and applied (I have no information that it will, just figured bird in the hand...)

Just checked my account, I don't have the card yet but my new account is on there with a spend deadline for my 80k bonus is Jan 5. My first payment due date is Dec 1, so assuming my 1st statement will close sometime in early Nov and therefore my second statement closes early December and third in January 2022; as long as I make my $5k spend (and it is all posted) after that closing of that second statement in December, but before Jan 5, I should be good, correct? So, really the only mistake would be hitting the spend before that December statement closes, OR after Jan 5?

Thanks!

Last edited by nathico; Oct 5, 2021 at 8:51 am
Old Oct 5, 2021, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Everything I have read says any spend AFTER the close Dec close date will go into 2022. And of course before the Jan 5th date they have shared.

Looks like maybe I can apply soon if you are already showing these dates.

We are applying as a "new" sole proprietor business
Old Oct 5, 2021, 9:38 am

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, WN CP AList
Originally Posted by nathico
Just checked my account, I don't have the card yet but my new account is on there with a spend deadline for my 80k bonus is Jan 5.
Thanks!
Does your online account actually state the spend deadline?
Old Oct 5, 2021, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Bearbear
Does your online account actually state the spend deadline?
The app does, when you click on the specific card. I am not sure about the online account. It also shows your progress towards the spend limit.

Note that I already had a business account with chase, which is why I was able to see the new card before receiving it.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 9:07 am

I believe the refer a friend bonus (20k per person) counts towards companion pass. Can anyone confirm?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.