Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Holding the last flights of the day - Experiences?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Holding the last flights of the day - Experiences?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2022, 3:04 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Another DP; was on the last DAL-FLL of a (Saturday) night that was held for ~35 min, for a sizable number (IIRC, 15+) pax. As that's a cruise port I can understand them holding.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
As a former airline employee, there are a number of variables that go into deciding whether to wait for connecting passengers. There is a whole team of people making these decisions, looking at plane maintenance needs, crew time (will they time out for the day), number of passengers left behind, whether the destination has a curfew, and a host of other factors. So, that's why sometimes the flight waits for connecting passengers and other times not. Even when they wait for connecting passengers, it might not be everyone (too bad for that flight running two hours late). So, it's complicated!
Old Sep 28, 2022, 7:04 pm

The hold also could be for one person. Delaying your flight to get a 'needed employee' to a city can reduce the delay for an airplane full of passengers. The "must ride" employee can also take your seat.

Happens rarely, one imagines. The airline will buy you a condo as compensation.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 5:28 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I'd consult here first for the best answer.

https://www.homestructions.com/8ball/

While there maybe many, many factors that go into a decision, we'll never be privy to them or if they're logically or consistently applied. I point to posts #2 and #6 above. Good Luck, just don't count on it to go your way.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 10:18 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by LegalTender
The hold also could be for one person. Delaying your flight to get a 'needed employee' to a city can reduce the delay for an airplane full of passengers. The "must ride" employee can also take your seat.

Happens rarely, one imagines. The airline will buy you a condo as compensation.

or part of one traveler……organ transplant…..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.