Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Holding the last flights of the day - Experiences?

Old Jun 7, 2022, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald

Reading another thread got me thinking about the apparent WN practice of holding planes for the last flight of the day to outstations like my home airport CMH. I have almost exactly 300 WN segments under my belt, and I can recall being held, almost always at MDW but sometimes at BWI and BNA, probably a dozen times past departure for inbound passengers. I even remember having a lengthy conversation with the FA the last time it happened, where she (probably rightly) chastised me for being a bit peeved, and told me that "someday, we're going to hold that plane for you."

Well, that never happened in 300 segments. About a dozen times being held, sometimes up to an hour, from pax from OKC or wherever to make their connection, but I can say with certainty that it's never happened to my benefit. Granted, I typically don't book tight connections, or maybe I've just been lucky. It got to the point where if my MDW-CMH was supposed to arrive at 11:35 PM, I would always just assume 12:15 AM at the very least. So many post-midnight returns.

Now that I fly AA almost exclusively (with some AS mixed in), I have noticed that this simply doesn't happen on AA. Maybe it's the infamous obsession with "D0" at AA. I've also heard multiple stories of people stranded at a hub because they pulled up to the gate at like T-14 minutes. AA is leaving without you.

Being a frequent flier, I think that I would way rather prioritize closing doors on time than delaying flights routinely. I imagine that the lack of red-eye flights makes the last flight of the WN day super valuable, and they'd rather delay than reaccommodate other delayed pax.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 9:24 am

Programs: LTP, PP
I said it before, I'll say it again:

One Thursday night, delays for spring thunderstorms, WN stranded me and a few others overnight connecting at MDW for last flight of the night to an relative outpost (ISP)

The very next Thursday night, same flights, we waited at least an hour for a few connecting passengers, and then their luggage, to arrive.

More recently we were 45 minutes late getting into BWI where I had a last of the night flight going to MCI. During the very long walk to connect I was paged many times with threats that they were leaving on time without me. At the gate I was informed the baggage would not be coming with and did I want to really continue?

The only thing to count on is its not likely to go your way.
screeton and dc2 like this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 11:16 am

OP, you’ve repeatedly made it clear that WN doesn’t suit your needs, so I’m not sure why this a concern for you if you don’t fly them…but there have been many times when holding the last flight has been hugely helpful.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 12:01 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, EX-AA Explat, WN Loyalist
It literally happens every Friday from BWI to PVD. They seem to always run it 45-50 minutes late...
Old Jun 7, 2022, 3:45 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by smmrfld
OP, you’ve repeatedly made it clear that WN doesn’t suit your needs, so I’m not sure why this a concern for you if you don’t fly them…but there have been many times when holding the last flight has been hugely helpful.
I need to respond even though I liked this post. Why, do you think we care what you, the non WN flyer, thinks.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 6:47 pm

Kinda wishing they *had* held our BWI-BOS plane last week...

We were returning home to BOS from SDF last Monday 9/12, with about an 80-minute connection at BWI to the last flight of the day. We pushed back at SDF pretty much on-time, but then ran into a weather-related ground stop at BWI so we weren't allowed to take off. After about 25 minutes parked off to the side, we returned to a gate so people could use bathroom, FAs could pass out snacks, etcWe eventually departed over an hour late. When we got to BWI, by the time we deplaned and piwer-walked from C gates to B gates, plane was gone. It had left on-time, we arrived probably 4 minutes after departure time.

First two flights the next day were full, didn't have space until 2:15pm. Got ourselves a hotel, and both had to take an extra vacation day

I've emailed Southwest to express my thoughts on the situation. I know they're not obligated to do anything because the delay was weather-based, but I figured I'd see if they offer any kind of goodwill gesture. It kinda sucks that we were delayed because of the weather at the connecting airport, but the other flight was able to land, turn around and leave on-time.

-Rob
m907 likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 10:19 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
One data point: Last Saturday, the last SJC-PHX flight of the day was held for 27 min to accommodate what seemed like a grand total of three passengers (and their luggage) arriving on a delayed flight from HNL. Not the most efficient use of the other passengers' time, IMHO.
nineworldseries likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 12:14 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
I've had that last flight of the night held a number of times over the years. Usually there were ~8 or so passengers involved and I always wondered if the number of involved passengers impacted their decision. I do recall one time where there were only 2 of us involved and when we arrived the flight attendant called us out and said they are holding a plane for you two and you two get up first and all other passengers remain seated, and get to gate whatever immediately so that plane can leave. We certainly complied.

Does is seem somewhat unfair to delay 175 other passengers plus crew who obviously wants to get to the final destination and go off duty, so 2 or 3 can make the last flight of the night? I guess it depends how long the delay is. It seems to be a Southwest "thing" to hold the plane and in my case it has saved me an unwanted overnight in LAS more than once and I really appreciate it.

People who don't like waiting should go fly United and enjoy the long long customer service line when they don't make it home the day they planned since United screwed up and didn't make any exceptions. Maybe if they're lucky or have status, United at DEN will after a yelling match agree to pay for a hotel room and send them to a Doubletree instead of a Ramada. But after dealing with United "customer service" and being routed to their crappy hotel, you'll wish you hid somewhere in the ticketing area of the airport that is open 24 hours and slept there and got out on the 5 AM flight.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by storewanderer
I... do recall one time where there were only 2 of us involved and when we arrived the flight attendant called us out and said they are holding a plane for you two and you two get up first and all other passengers remain seated, and get to gate whatever immediately so that plane can leave. We certainly complied.

Does is seem somewhat unfair to delay 175 other passengers plus crew who obviously wants to get to the final destination and go off duty, so 2 or 3 can make the last flight of the night? I guess it depends how long the delay is. It seems to be a Southwest "thing" to hold the plane and in my case it has saved me an unwanted overnight in LAS more than once and I really appreciate it.....
As to the delay to the other 175 passengers. Assuming you grabbed your stuff and moved quickly, it caused less than a minute delay to others. Most of them were delayed later by other passengers that have no respect for all the passengers behind them. You know the ones that do not even begin to get organized until it is their turn to leave, then stand in the aisle slowing getting their act together. You can see there is NOBODY in the aisle ahead of them because those people grabbed their stuff and left. Drives me nuts how some people take their sweet time leaving as if they are the only ones on the plane.

Sorry - rant off.
screeton likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Rob562
Kinda wishing they *had* held our BWI-BOS plane last week...

We were returning home to BOS from SDF last Monday 9/12, with about an 80-minute connection at BWI to the last flight of the day. We pushed back at SDF pretty much on-time, but then ran into a weather-related ground stop at BWI so we weren't allowed to take off. After about 25 minutes parked off to the side, we returned to a gate so people could use bathroom, FAs could pass out snacks, etcWe eventually departed over an hour late. When we got to BWI, by the time we deplaned and piwer-walked from C gates to B gates, plane was gone. It had left on-time, we arrived probably 4 minutes after departure time.

First two flights the next day were full, didn't have space until 2:15pm. Got ourselves a hotel, and both had to take an extra vacation day

I've emailed Southwest to express my thoughts on the situation. I know they're not obligated to do anything because the delay was weather-based, but I figured I'd see if they offer any kind of goodwill gesture. It kinda sucks that we were delayed because of the weather at the connecting airport, but the other flight was able to land, turn around and leave on-time.

-Rob
Update: Heard back from Southwest, they're issuing a $150 LUV Voucher.

-Rob
screeton likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 3:29 pm

Programs: LTP, PP

-Rob
If I read this right, that is utterly ridiculous. Not held for 4 minutes? Someone had to or should have known your ETA once your aircraft got close to BWI.

As I said above, The only thing to count on is its not likely to go your way...
jjbiv and dc2 like this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 5:05 pm

If you miss your connecting flight and its the final flight of the day, do they offer a hotel?
Old Sep 20, 2022, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by divincenzo
If you miss your connecting flight and its the final flight of the day, do they offer a hotel?
Depends on the reason. If your connection is booked on a single ticket and the inbound flight was late for a controllable reason (e.g. crew or maintenance) you should be able to get a room. If it was due to weather, ATC, or another uncontrollable reason or you booked two separate ticketa, you are on your own.
divincenzo likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 9:53 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
To each their own...that is one reason that I love Southwest...they will hold a flight when they can to keep people going where they need to.

Now if you have evidence other that antidotal conjecture that others may be stranded because of those hold bring it on, but pretty sure that is not the case when they do determine they are able to hold for some stragglers.

As a pilot I also know that weather is a big factor and can add or subtract time to the actual flight vs what is scheduled and am confidant that also plays into the decision...if you need to hold for 15 min but make up 10 min in the air, NBD IMO.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 11:43 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA

-Rob
Originally Posted by joshua362
If I read this right, that is utterly ridiculous. Not held for 4 minutes? Someone had to or should have known your ETA once your aircraft got close to BWI.

As I said above, The only thing to count on is its not likely to go your way...
i think you got this only because the plane didn’t wait.

if the crews have operational buffers due to time out they usually hold the end of the day for people to transfer

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.