Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Wanna Get away plus Fares are now available! A-Listers get free WGA same day change

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wanna Get away plus Fares are now available! A-Listers get free WGA same day change

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2022, 8:36 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
I just was looking at the Southwest website and noticed that it says that A-Listers now get free same confirm?! When did this go into effect?

I just did a standby a few weeks ago and I would have thought they would have just confirmed me on the flight right away if the SDC was free for A-Listers now.
A-list has had some version of SDC since 2016 when you could SDC to a flight within a 2-hour window of your flight.

That benefit was expanded in 2019 with free SDC for AL/AL+ even outside the 2 hour window of your flight… but you still had to show up in person.

The newest upgrade for AL/AL+ is that you can do a free SDC of a WGA fare over the phone, after 12:00am local time. However, there has been one report of this not working and needing to make the change in person at the airport.
MSP_Monopoly and m907 like this.
Old May 31, 2022, 6:27 am

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by twitch76
A-list has had some version of SDC since 2016 when you could SDC to a flight within a 2-hour window of your flight.

That benefit was expanded in 2019 with free SDC for AL/AL+ even outside the 2 hour window of your flight… but you still had to show up in person.

The newest upgrade for AL/AL+ is that you can do a free SDC of a WGA fare over the phone, after 12:00am local time. However, there has been one report of this not working and needing to make the change in person at the airport.
I wish these rules and fine details were clearly posted on the Southwest website so that it’s clear to the gate agents and we don’t have to constantly argue with them on what is and isn’t allowed.
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 4:24 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I tried a phone change again today. Denied again but the phone agent didn’t give up. I learned that the so-called phase 2 software is not ready yet, so the only way to accomplish the change is an explicit override.

The software delay explains why Southwest has not emailed A-listers notifying us of the new benefit.

I will make future changes at the airport unless the flight looks nearly full.
jmw, synergistic and twitch76 like this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 6:41 pm

Programs: SWA Alist, Companion Pass
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
I wish these rules and fine details were clearly posted on the Southwest website so that it’s clear to the gate agents and we don’t have to constantly argue with them on what is and isn’t allowed.
Is the link that SWAVictor posted sufficient? https://www.southwest.com/html/air/samedaychange.html
You can find clearly stated "A-List Preferred and A-List Members with a Wanna Get Away fare should call Customer Service or visit a Southwest Gate Agent to make the confirmed change without paying the fare difference."

Or are you looking for something that isn't covered when you go to that page?

Last edited by oceanbreeez; Jun 3, 2022 at 6:44 pm Reason: reposted the link
Old Jun 4, 2022, 1:44 am

Does the new A-List same day change allow you to switch to a later flight in the same day?
Old Jun 4, 2022, 5:10 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Yes.
Business Select, Anytime, and Wanna Get Away Plus fares are eligible for free same-day change and same-day standby benefits. A-List and A-List Preferred Rapid Rewards Members are also eligible for free same-day change and same-day standby. Wanna Get Away Customers (non-A-List or A-List Preferred) can opt into same-day change, but fare differences may apply. See more of the benefits offered by fare type.
m907 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 2:21 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by nsx
I tried a phone change again today. Denied again but the phone agent didn’t give up. I learned that the so-called phase 2 software is not ready yet, so the only way to accomplish the change is an explicit override.
Had the same thing happen to me today, but the CSA I eventually reached (is the ALP line staffed on weekends? I had a longer wait than usual to speak to someone and they didn't already have my info) swore I could only do SDS on non-Plus WGA but would "do me a favor this one time" and changed it, spending a lot of time "making notes in my account" to indicate such a "favor".

The software delay explains why Southwest has not emailed A-listers notifying us of the new benefit.
Makes sense.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 7:21 pm

If someone has TTF from past flights that were WGA fares, can they use the funds to purchase a WGA Plus fare, and then transfer those funds to someone else? I am asking because someone is willing to transfer his points to me, but I want to make sure that this is the case before he spends additional money buying a WGA Plus fare just to allow the transfer.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by guflyer
If someone has TTF from past flights that were WGA fares, can they use the funds to purchase a WGA Plus fare, and then transfer those funds to someone else? I am asking because someone is willing to transfer his points to me, but I want to make sure that this is the case before he spends additional money buying a WGA Plus fare just to allow the transfer.
Yes, it works. And they shouldn't need to spend any more money. Just find a WGA+ fare that is the same amount (or maybe a couple of bucks over) the existing TTF. Cancel it. Click on the "transfer" button.

Unfortunately this does NOT extend the expiration date of the TTFs.
guflyer likes this.

Last edited by spongenotbob; Jun 4, 2022 at 7:49 pm
Old Jun 4, 2022, 11:37 pm

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Bought reward tickets on WGA+ fares (SEA-PHX). If there's an earlier flight with seats avail that has a connection, say (SEA-LAS-PHX) does my WGA+ ticket allow for this SDC? It adds a stop, but gets me there sooner. Anyone know?
Old Jun 5, 2022, 3:44 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by BarryL
Bought reward tickets on WGA+ fares (SEA-PHX). If there's an earlier flight with seats avail that has a connection, say (SEA-LAS-PHX) does my WGA+ ticket allow for this SDC? It adds a stop, but gets me there sooner. Anyone know?
That should work.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 11:12 pm

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Originally Posted by nsx
That should work.
Thx nsx- It did work, made for a much earlier arrival today. My original tix were about 18k RR points, the flights I took were 3x those. So I am pleased with the results. Wanted to share a couple things:

- To make changes you have to phone SWA. When I read A-List/A Preferred had to phone in changes, I presumed all (no name non-elites) could make the change online... NOPE. 45min hold was not fun.
"Important: A-List Preferred and A-List Members must call 1-800-I-FLY-SWAź or see a Southwest Gate Agent to conduct a same-day change. If they proceed to do this online or at the kiosk, they will be charged for a difference in fare"

- It's "Same Day change" so that means after 12:00A you can make changes. When I phoned SWA, they **THOUGHT** is was midnight CST, not your current time zone. Although I was not confident in his response.

I have no idea why SWA's wording is to terrible on their website about this new perk. They need to add wording stating the process.
"For both the same-day change and same-day standby benefits, you must change your flight or request to be added to the same-day standby list at least 10 minutes prior to the scheduled departure of your original flight or the no-show policy will apply."
Old Jun 6, 2022, 12:32 am

- To make changes you have to phone SWA. When I read A-List/A Preferred had to phone in changes, I presumed all (no name non-elites) could make the change online... NOPE. 45min hold was not fun.
You had the WGAPlus fares I thought? Those are supposed to be changeable online regardless of your A-list status. Are you saying that didn't work?
- It's "Same Day change" so that means after 12:00A you can make changes. When I phoned SWA, they **THOUGHT** is was midnight CST, not your current time zone. Although I was not confident in his response.

I have no idea why SWA's wording is to terrible on their website about this new perk. They need to add wording stating the process.
It's 12:01AM local time for the departure airport and see post #16 for a link to another faq
Old Jun 6, 2022, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by guflyer
Is your friend transfering Rapid Rewards Points of Travel Funds?
Old Jun 7, 2022, 6:42 am

Does anyone know if the same day change can be used for co-terminal airports?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.