Community
Wiki Posts
Search

On-board internet upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2022, 10:43 am
Original Poster

On-board internet upgrades

In my experience, Southwest's paid internet service only works about 60% of the time, and when it does, it's painfully slow.

However, I was on a full 737-700 today and the internet was noticeably faster and a speed test showed 10 Mbps. This is still far behind what the legacy carriers have now, but noticeably better than before. I remember the new CEO talked about better internet service being one of his priorities. Have they started upgrading things or was this just a fluke?
Old Apr 19, 2022, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I think the fiber optic cable that they drag behind the plane must have been a newer one with less damage - hence a better speed.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
I think the fiber optic cable that they drag behind the plane must have been a newer one with less damage - hence a better speed.
I didn't realize that. It's not a fixed antenna, it's an actual cable dangling out of the plane?
Old Apr 19, 2022, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by m907
I didn't realize that. It's not a fixed antenna, it's an actual cable dangling out of the plane?
Yes, kind of like the banners you see trailing old biplanes.
m907 and steved5480 like this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 4:54 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Getting a bag of popcorn.
kennycrudup, steved5480 and jmw like this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 10:56 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
If that was a counter-troll, it's the best one I've seen in... possibly ever.
synergistic, m907 and Air Houston like this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 12:19 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Y'all funny- but as someone who gets it for free and uses it every time (and has a portable router so I get it on all my devices), it's totally hit-or-miss, and after hundreds of flights the only factor that I know for sure can cause bad speeds is cloud cover- but there's been times when it's been blue to the sun and it's just not very good- I'm figuring age/last calibration/number of users/... must play a part, as there's times I'll get ~1.5Mbyte/sec (and have been at times for years) and then there's times I'll get a few bits at a time. What's amazing in the times the IP service is bad I'll switch to TV, and that works perfectly- but I don't know if that's downlinked from DishNetwork on the plane, or IP from the sats.

I do feel for the folks who pay $8 for a bad experience though.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 7:41 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Y'all funny- but as someone who gets it for free and uses it every time (and has a portable router so I get it on all my devices), it's totally hit-or-miss, and after hundreds of flights the only factor that I know for sure can cause bad speeds is cloud cover- but there's been times when it's been blue to the sun and it's just not very good- I'm figuring age/last calibration/number of users/... must play a part, as there's times I'll get ~1.5Mbyte/sec (and have been at times for years) and then there's times I'll get a few bits at a time. What's amazing in the times the IP service is bad I'll switch to TV, and that works perfectly- but I don't know if that's downlinked from DishNetwork on the plane, or IP from the sats.

I do feel for the folks who pay $8 for a bad experience though.
factors are

age/ quality of equipment
weather
users count
what users are doing
connection type
Old Apr 20, 2022, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by djp98374
factors are

age/ quality of equipment
weather
users count
what users are doing
connection type
And one more.

Murphy's law. The more you NEED to have a connection, the odds against you go up!
joshua362, ryw, djp98374 and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 10:07 am

Just a clarification on the weather piece - it's much less to do with the weather between airplane and satellite, and much more to do with weather at the ground stations that are actually sending "the internet" up to the satellite to relay to the airplane.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 4:39 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by fiuchris
... and much more to do with weather at the ground stations that are actually sending "the internet" up to the satellite to relay to the airplane.
Oh yeah, forgot about that. I remember my DTV having outages in sunny SoCal 'cause there were storms near the uplink site in CO.
Old May 11, 2022, 10:00 am
Original Poster

https://simpleflying.com/southwest-a...gh-speed-wifi/

Maybe my plane had a kevlar-shielded fiber optic cable!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.