Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Why can't you fly from the east coast (or anywhere near) to Hawaii if the times work?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why can't you fly from the east coast (or anywhere near) to Hawaii if the times work?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2022, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by SWAVictor
None of our published schedule currently offers double connects. There are flights with more than one stop, but only one of the stops will involve a change of planes.
Ah, that clears it up, thanks SWAVictor!!
SWAVictor likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
I think that one of WN's great strengths is that you can do this, with early eastbound Hawaii departures, for example:

1/17 HNL-LAS-CMH
1/17 OGG-LAS-STL
1/17 KOA-PHX-MDW

Last one gets in at a comfortable 9:30 pm Chicago time!

Farther east:
1/17 HNL-LAX-BWI
1/17 HNL-LAS-PIT
after flying 11 flight hours in aa main cabin extra this past fall(cmh-dfw-ogg) I can imagine ~9.5 hrs on a max 8 unless you get the bulkhead or emergency exit would be rough. We flew hnl to las, stayed 2 nights then flew las to cmh to round out the trip.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 5:24 am

None of our published schedule currently offers double connects. There are flights with more than one stop, but only one of the stops will involve a change of planes.
I guess that's where I was confused.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 8:48 am
Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Rapid Rewards, IHG/Kimpton, Bonvoy, AA/oneworld, British Airways
Originally Posted by m907
I guess that's where I was confused.
We use a lot of "industry jargon" sometimes.

for us:

nonstop = literally, from Origin to Destination with no stops
direct = Origin to Destination with 1 or more stops, but no change of planes (Customers frequently use the term "direct" when they actually mean nonstop)
connection = Origin to Destination, with a change of planes at an intermediate point

To confuse things even further, a "connection" can be made up of 2 nonstops, 2 directs, or 1 of each -
Unless something has changed that I'm not aware of, none of our published schedule ever includes more than a total of 3 stops - and I verified that none include more than one change of planes

Finally, the schedule for the aircraft (and/or flight number) might go beyond 3 stops, but that is not offered as part of the published schedule for Customers to be able to book.
Tanic, steved5480 and m907 like this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 1:03 pm
was jgoggan
Original Poster

Programs: WN 650k+CP; BA 200k; AA 200k; HHonors 450k; IHG 300k Plat; Bonvoy 250k; Rad 225k
Thanks for all of the information, everyone. I did see that I could do it with a multi-city thing, so good to know it can be done if I really wanted to. In the end, I decided that I didn't want to leave at 6:30AM and arrive at like 3-4AM (for my original time zone). I decided to break it down into multiple days instead. So, now, going there, I go GRR->PHX, spend the night there, and then PHX->OGG non-stop the next day. Coming back, I'm going OGG->DEN to get most of the travel out of the way -- and then a non-stop from DEN->GRR the next day getting back in plenty of time to drive home (2 hours from GRR) and get unpacked. Everything else would have been just too long flying either way.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 1:45 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
We use a lot of "industry jargon" sometimes.

for us:

nonstop = literally, from Origin to Destination with no stops
direct = Origin to Destination with 1 or more stops, but no change of planes (Customers frequently use the term "direct" when they actually mean nonstop)
connection = Origin to Destination, with a change of planes at an intermediate point

To confuse things even further, a "connection" can be made up of 2 nonstops, 2 directs, or 1 of each -
Unless something has changed that I'm not aware of, none of our published schedule ever includes more than a total of 3 stops - and I verified that none include more than one change of planes

Finally, the schedule for the aircraft (and/or flight number) might go beyond 3 stops, but that is not offered as part of the published schedule for Customers to be able to book.
All of the highlighted text above has been true for at least the last 25 years. However, I swear that the earliest WN schedules I ever saw (early 1980 time frame) had double connections (i.e. 3 planes) on a single ticket- e.g. HRL-HOU + HOU-DAL + DAL-AMA.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 2:33 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by HPN-HRL
All of the highlighted text above has been true for at least the last 25 years. However, I swear that the earliest WN schedules I ever saw (early 1980 time frame) had double connections (i.e. 3 planes) on a single ticket- e.g. HRL-HOU + HOU-DAL + DAL-AMA.
There was a time a couple of years ago where WN was allowing multiple stop itineraries. I remember people on here looking for how many stop they could find (I think there were found flights with 6 or 7).
joshua362 and steved5480 like this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 3:33 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
There was a time a couple of years ago where WN was allowing multiple stop itineraries. I remember people on here looking for how many stop they could find (I think there were found flights with 6 or 7).
As SWAVictor informed us, stops do not equal plane changes. Are you saying that SWA allowed multiple plane changes ?
Old Jan 17, 2022, 3:52 pm

Think this was a case of intentional multi-city status runs intra-CA
Old Jan 17, 2022, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99
As SWAVictor informed us, stops do not equal plane changes. Are you saying that SWA allowed multiple plane changes ?
I will say this - during the Wright Amendment years - its quite possible that someone had a "ticket" with double connections, and they were even booked in the same reservation.
However, those weren't published connections (by law) and had to be built manually with seperate fare components (again by law).

In fact prior to 911, we had to advise customers they would have to claim and recheck bags at the first connecting point. This was relaxed due to heightened security requirements.

I worked in reservations at the time - if you called and asked to fly Dallas to Chicago, I was required to say "I'm sorry we don't offer service between those two cities"
If you questioned that, I could then suggest that i could book you on separate fares, with the baggage advisory above (could be on one PNR/ticket, but the fare had to be broken).
but, it hinged on you questioning it. We were not allowed to advertise or sell (on one fare) service outside the wright amendment restrictions.

Last edited by SWAVictor; Jan 17, 2022 at 4:37 pm
Old Jan 17, 2022, 4:33 pm

We allowed more than three stops for a brief period of time (though I don't recall it being as high as 6 or 7), but for obvious reasons they weren't very popular with Customers, and not a great Customer experience.
As we expand internationally, etc. - I have learned to never say never, but for now I believe its a maximum of 3 stops from O to D (nonstop, direct, connect combined).

Of course, as discussed here - you can use the "multi city" option to create your own itineraries that break that rule, even in one reservation, but it will be a combined fare.
benfro6 and AWood like this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by HPN-HRL
I've been here since 1992 - can't speak to anything earlier than that, so its possible back in the 80's - but we had a much much smaller network then, so also maybe less likely ?
Old Jan 17, 2022, 5:28 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
In late 2012, I flew ISP-BWI, BWI-MDW and MDW-SFO changing planes every time. On points and one PNR.

In 2015 I flew a BS fare SJC-LAX, LAX-BWI and BWI-ISP.

Both times at check in, it would only print out 2 of the 3 BP's and I had to pickup the 3rd en-route although I was checked in and the BP spot reserved.

In 2013 on points, I flew SJC-LAS-TPA-ISP, same plane, one BP

Glutton for punishment but they exist (or used to).
Old Jan 17, 2022, 6:58 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA

I flown a few in a legal booking in a one ticket purchase on XC flights.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
In late 2012, I flew ISP-BWI, BWI-MDW and MDW-SFO changing planes every time. On points and one PNR.

In 2015 I flew a BS fare SJC-LAX, LAX-BWI and BWI-ISP.

Both times at check in, it would only print out 2 of the 3 BP's and I had to pickup the 3rd en-route although I was checked in and the BP spot reserved.

In 2013 on points, I flew SJC-LAS-TPA-ISP, same plane, one BP

Glutton for punishment but they exist (or used to).
You bring up a good point about an exception for RR bookings, under the old system (before RR2.0 moved us to points).
back then an award ticket could be used to fly between any two SWA cities, even if we didn't offer published service between those cities.
An agent on the phone could book a double connect, and allow you to fly that with just one award coupon.

today, an agent could do the same, or you could do it online through "multi city" - but it would break the fare, and the total cost would be the sum of the two seperate "fares".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.