Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Does it mean Flight is not Full if WGA still available?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2021, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

I have a flight from SJC-LIH-SJC and can still book it today if I wanted it at $490 r/t WGA vs the $416 r/t at time of booking although we used miles and only had to purchase two one ways at $208 o/w. Does this mean that our flight will not be fully booked for this Friday?

Interesting to see how the load vs. price factor is.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 6:07 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
One would thing logically so but I've seen it illogically so, both ways. Meaning I've booked last minute (day before), gotten a WGA fare only to see it packed, and only being able to buy AT/BS fares and it was half empty. Probably route dependent too. So who can tell. Perhaps the attempted fake "purchase" of 8 seats is a better tell?
Old Jul 28, 2021, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joshua362
One would thing logically so but I've seen it illogically so, both ways. Meaning I've booked last minute (day before), gotten a WGA fare only to see it packed, and only being able to buy AT/BS fares and it was half empty. Probably route dependent too. So who can tell. Perhaps the attempted fake "purchase" of 8 seats is a better tell?
You hit it on the nickel!
Old Jul 29, 2021, 8:34 am
Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Rapid Rewards, IHG/Kimpton, Bonvoy, AA/oneworld, British Airways
It depends on your definition of "fully booked".

Using the literal definition of zero seats empty:

Since we no longer overbook in normal circumstances (irops may break this rule at times), if any seat is available in any fare product, then the flight isn't "fully booked".
However, as noted above, you may be able to get a WGA fare even on the last seat that is still available for sale, depending on the rules of that fare, and the inventory.
While WGA fares typically have an advance purchase requirement (21, 14, 7, 3, and 1 are the most common), they can also be offered for same day (no AP req'd).

If the flight shows sold out in all fare products, then every seat has been sold.
Of course, that still doesn't mean there won't be any empty seats on the flight (last minute changes, standby for other flights, no shows, etc.)
Daze, screeton, steved5480 and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
And what is totally unknown at this point is

* will another flight get cancelled/delayed and all those folks move to your plane creating a 100% flight?
* all kinds of other reasons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.