Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

OK to ask potential seat mate whether s/he's vaxed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OK to ask potential seat mate whether s/he's vaxed?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2021, 10:15 am

Posters have offered several methods of indirectly asking. I'll echo the posters who ask why. You have no right to ask or expect an unvaccinated pax to move. I guess you might wear a 95 mask if you were concerned.

Aisle and window and hope for an empty middle.

If I was asked, rudely, I might say something like Tylenol does a good job reducing fevers.
sdsearch likes this.
Old May 2, 2021, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another things to keep in mind is that with any question you ask of a stranger, the stranger might lie. With that in mind, how is it useful to ask a question that you consider "critical" of a stranger, if you can't be certain that if they gave you the answer you wanted that it was actually correct?

So I would suggest to choose a seating choice behavior with doesn't require asking a stranger anything of importance.
bloomz and Fledermaus like this.
Old May 7, 2021, 5:23 pm

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
Had a woman on my flight Sunday that caused a scene about this. She wanted to interview people that were trying to step over her aisle seat to get to the empty middle and window seats. I was shocked she wasn't thrown off when she got into it with the FA loud enough for my wife to hear and ask what was going on from 10 rows back. I think the FA finally told her to sit down or get off the plane.
Old May 8, 2021, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by EAJuggalo
Had a woman on my flight Sunday that caused a scene about this. She wanted to interview people that were trying to step over her aisle seat to get to the empty middle and window seats. I was shocked she wasn't thrown off when she got into it with the FA loud enough for my wife to hear and ask what was going on from 10 rows back. I think the FA finally told her to sit down or get off the plane.
How did the other passengers react to the question?
Old May 8, 2021, 7:32 am

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
Originally Posted by m907
How did the other passengers react to the question?
I think they called the FA over, then kept going to to the back of the plane. About 15 people later someone sat there. This was Early B group I'm guessing.
Silver Fox and m907 like this.
Old May 8, 2021, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
If you were to ask, you might also ask if they have been around anyone with the virus recently and if they are carrying the virus, even though they have been vacinated.

I have gotten the shot, but do realize even people with it can still get it and can still carry and transmit it. So, even if you got the answer (vs told to screw off), the answer is of little to no value.
sdsearch and CDTraveler like this.
Old May 12, 2021, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
If you were to ask, you might also ask if they have been around anyone with the virus recently and if they are carrying the virus, even though they have been vacinated.

I have gotten the shot, but do realize even people with it can still get it and can still carry and transmit it. So, even if you got the answer (vs told to screw off), the answer is of little to no value.
on fly flight from cmh to atl there was an empty middle seat,, on my flight atl to fll I occupied the middle seat, wore my mask and the person to my left wore a mask and face shield, slept the majority of the flight and never asked me if I am fully vaccinated ( I am). Overall it was an easy peasy experience for my first flight since February 2020.
Old May 12, 2021, 3:20 pm

Absolutely not.
Old May 12, 2021, 10:47 pm

If the flight is full and you want to be extra safe, just look for someone sitting in the aisle who appear to be cautious? Like having a mask on properly or even N95, and is currently wiping the tray tables...
screeton likes this.
Old May 12, 2021, 11:16 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by gbdbld
If the flight is full and you want to be extra safe, just look for someone sitting in the aisle who appear to be cautious? Like having a mask on properly or even N95, and is currently wiping the tray tables...
So if you want an empty middle, don't clean your seating area during boarding! And show a little nose.
steved5480 and econ like this.
Old May 15, 2021, 7:49 pm

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Originally Posted by EAJuggalo
I think they called the FA over, then kept going to to the back of the plane. About 15 people later someone sat there. This was Early B group I'm guessing.
I was discussing this thread with a friend and former co-worker who is now a flight attendant with WN and she laughed and told me a couple days ago on a flight out of BWI someone was asking potential seatmates if they "had the shot." She said she almost had to run to the galley to stop laughing when a woman very loudly replied "Yes, I had a shot and my gonorrhea is almost cleared up."
nsx, smmrfld, aztimm and 12 others like this.
Old May 16, 2021, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by JAXPax
I was discussing this thread with a friend and former co-worker who is now a flight attendant with WN and she laughed and told me a couple days ago on a flight out of BWI someone was asking potential seatmates if they "had the shot." She said she almost had to run to the galley to stop laughing when a woman very loudly replied "Yes, I had a shot and my gonorrhea is almost cleared up."
Best answer yet.
bozacksmith likes this.
Old May 17, 2021, 6:14 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Mask discussion has been moved to the Peanut Gallery. "To vax or not to vax" may be discussed there too.
Old May 17, 2021, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Would "Go vax yourself!" be an appropriate reply to such question?
Old May 17, 2021, 8:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Was it appropriate to ask people if they had thier flu shot?

IF you were that worried about "the shot" you shouldnt have been flying.....people seemed to be OK to fly a month ago?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.