Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

OK to ask potential seat mate whether s/he's vaxed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2021, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

We will be flying Southwest in two weeks and are fully vaccinated. My husband likes the window seat so I end up in the middle. Wondering if there is any protocol about asking whoever takes the aisle seat if they've been vaccinated?
Old Apr 27, 2021, 6:59 pm

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
No and if you ask me I'm not giving you that information. If it is that concerning to you, go all the way to back of the plane, and take a window and an aisle. The odds of a single wanting to sit between two strangers is slim, especially at the very back of the plane.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 7:10 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
If you are vaccinated, why would you care if anyone else was? You are all going to wearing masks the entire trip.
What if they say no? What difference would it make, its not like you get to interview suitable candidates to sit next to you.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 7:58 pm

It would be extremely invasive to ask. Don’t do it.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 8:12 pm

Get over yourselves. I've had the vaccine and don't care who knows.
1P, chrisny2, michael_v and 24 others like this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 9:28 pm

If you really just want to know, strike up a conversation and ask naturally and in a friendly way. If you want to start something or make a statement (instead of just knowing the answer), it seems best to me to not saw anything. It is not clear what benefit knowing this information would have for you.
Annerk likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 10:13 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Best approach is to smile and say that you're both vaccinated. Maybe the person will reply and give you the information, maybe not. Either way you are safe.
jjbiv, aztimm, screeton and 6 others like this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 11:39 pm
Formerly doc4science

Programs: United Airlines Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I would have no problem with someone asking me that, but I could see a certain group of people getting very upset with that question...
sabisf likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 2:09 am

Programs: AS MVPG (R.I.P 75K), DL, HH Gold
Originally Posted by doc4science
I would have no problem with someone asking me that, but I could see a certain group of people getting very upset with that question...
And would you want to be sitting next to said person in an inflamed state for hours? If you keep the focus on yourself and not on others, your trip will be much more enjoyable for everyone involved 😎
LoungeLizardHugo likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 3:07 am

The vaccine doesn't prevent you catching Covid. It stops you dying from it and turns it into one of many irritating seasonal infections. Move on
Old Apr 28, 2021, 3:35 am

There is a protocol: Buy yourself an extra-seat or myob.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by MarianR
We will be flying Southwest in two weeks and are fully vaccinated. My husband likes the window seat so I end up in the middle. Wondering if there is any protocol about asking whoever takes the aisle seat if they've been vaccinated?
What are you gonna do if s/he says no?
Old Apr 28, 2021, 6:14 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by EAJuggalo
No and if you ask me I'm not giving you that information. If it is that concerning to you, go all the way to back of the plane, and take a window and an aisle. The odds of a single wanting to sit between two strangers is slim, especially at the very back of the plane.
In general sitting at the back is not the best strategy to try and get an empty middle, the middle of the plane is your best bet, you get some people who take middles in front to be in the front, and others get to the back and are stuck taking a middle because they don't/can't go back forward easily.
Originally Posted by m907
What are you gonna do if s/he says no?
Right. If you're not comfortable sitting next to someone who is not vaccinated, I don't think flying Southwest is right for you.
Daze and bbriscoe34 like this.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 7:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Why would you think that some random stranger will answer the question truthfully? I wouldn't believe the answer, whether it's yes or no.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 10:42 am

Programs: WN A+,CP (ex-DL Platinum)
if you mention that you've both been vaccinated and they reply like some of the previous posters or don't mention their status, then you'll have the answer to your question. I don't see harm in doing that much.
chrisny2 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.