Search

Southwest Airlines Issues Furlough Warnings

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2020, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Southwest Airlines Issues Furlough Warnings

Southwest Airlines issues 42 furlough warnings after cost-cutting talks stall

The airline is still in talks with pilots, flight attendants and mechanics, who are balking at pay cut proposals.

www.dallasnews.com
November 6th, 2020
12:41pm

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...g-talks-stall/
Old Nov 7, 2020, 5:47 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
It is either a 10% pay cut, or 10% of groups of certain employees get furloughed. Some other airlines had to do 25% pay cuts, so 10% is not out of line. From a solidarity standpoint, a 10% pay cut would seem to be better. Maybe they can convince unions that COVID times are not "business as usual" and that a 10% cut is not the end of the world.
Old Nov 7, 2020, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by PHXflier
It is either a 10% pay cut, or 10% of groups of certain employees get furloughed. Some other airlines had to do 25% pay cuts, so 10% is not out of line. From a solidarity standpoint, a 10% pay cut would seem to be better. Maybe they can convince unions that COVID times are not "business as usual" and that a 10% cut is not the end of the world.
DAL only achieved a 5% pay cut from its pilots union without needing pay concessions from any other group to avoid furloughs. Not sure it is accurate to compare what workers have given up at AAL and UAL since these companies were already in trouble. LUV is the most profitable airline and the only one that still has an investment grade credit rating. LUV can avoid furloughs without pay cuts if it wishes.
CA1900 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by bgasser
DAL only achieved a 5% pay cut from its pilots union without needing pay concessions from any other group to avoid furloughs. Not sure it is accurate to compare what workers have given up at AAL and UAL since these companies were already in trouble. LUV is the most profitable airline and the only one that still has an investment grade credit rating. LUV can avoid furloughs without pay cuts if it wishes.
I don't know the ins and outs of their corporate finances, but the airline industry isn't supposed to recover from this until 2022, and even then, business travel may never recover because of increased remote work. I don't think any airline can afford to say "we're profitable, we're fine."
Old Nov 8, 2020, 11:00 am

Always informative when someone prefaces their opinion with ‘I don’t know much about this, but here’s what I think anyway’....
Old Nov 25, 2020, 7:59 am

Southwest Airlines plans to furlough 81 employees at the Atlanta airport in January as talks with its unions over cost reductions have stalled.

Southwest furloughs nationwide reportedly include nearly 100 in Dallas, 44 in Phoenix and 32 in Tampa. The company expects furloughs will last more than six months. They involve mechanics and related employees, facilities maintenance technicians, and aircraft appearance technicians.
Atlanta Business Chronicle
Old Nov 25, 2020, 5:26 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by hat attack
Always informative when someone prefaces their opinion with ‘I don’t know much about this, but here’s what I think anyway’
... AKA "The Impetus Behind Most Social Media Activity"
joshua362 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.