Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fares higher due to middle seat nlocking

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2020, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Fares higher due to middle seat nlocking

If you want to book a flight please do so early.I got a SJC-LAS r/t for $87 now its around $235 due to capacity.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Not sure what you are saying. WHEN was the fare $87 and when did it change?

Middle seat blocking is part of the reason in most cases - less seats to sell.

On the other hand, if only 40 people want to fly a certain route, middle seat blocking has no effect.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Nope.

The market sets fares. Just like it always has. If the fare the market is willing to pay can't sustain the frequency / route, now that it's past 9/30, WN can simply cut the frequency or route.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 3:27 pm

The fare increase definitely has something to do with capacity cut. I have two flights booked for December and was hoping for a fare sale, so I check the price whenever I receive those $49 sale email. The day before yesterday the fares were around $49-$69 for my flights, but then yesterday I received flight change notices. After getting the email, I went online and saw fares are new around $89 - $129, with some flights showing "Not Available" for Wanna Get Away fares. I assume this is due to Southwest moving passengers from cancelled flights to the remaining few flights, resulting in a supply and demand tilt.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 3:33 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
I also disagree.

Currently, with no fare sale on, MCI-MDW can be had for $45 each way most of the month of November and December. Never seen fares that cheap, except for very limited sale times.
Edit: And that is after going from 6-7 non-stops a day to 3 non-stops a day.
smmrfld and steved5480 like this.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 7:45 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by B747SP
The fare increase definitely has something to do with capacity cut. I have two flights booked for December and was hoping for a fare sale, so I check the price whenever I receive those $49 sale email. The day before yesterday the fares were around $49-$69 for my flights, but then yesterday I received flight change notices. After getting the email, I went online and saw fares are new around $89 - $129, with some flights showing "Not Available" for Wanna Get Away fares. I assume this is due to Southwest moving passengers from cancelled flights to the remaining few flights, resulting in a supply and demand tilt.
yep...

its sll about capacity pricing.

when the merge to flights to one they can eat up the seat buckets causing fare jumps.

for e amp,e 2 flights had 40 seats sold on 2 flights. Merge thrm, no 80 seats out of 100 sold do fare buckets are filled and prices increase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.