Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Any automated way to find open seats on specific flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2020, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker

Just ran into a companion pass issue. Able to book Mom and child, but when we tried to add Dad as Companion - there are no more seats. The other flight options show only 2 seats available as well - so we can not switch to those.

Other than just checking over and over online, anyone know of a way to find that open seat(s)?
Old Oct 2, 2020, 7:40 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Call customer service
Old Oct 2, 2020, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Correct me if I am wrong. AFAICT - WN does not really have a concept of open seat, but different fares, i.e. WGA, Anytime, and BS. CP has no restriction as well.

IIRC - you should have run in the problem of lack of WGA fares, which restricts you from booking a companion for WGA fares. If this is true, I believe the only way to search what you want is to actually search based on the total number of passengers, instead of separately. In that case, whatever you are able to see will be your option.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
Correct me if I am wrong. AFAICT - WN does not really have a concept of open seat, but different fares, i.e. WGA, Anytime, and BS. CP has no restriction as well.

IIRC - you should have run in the problem of lack of WGA fares, which restricts you from booking a companion for WGA fares. If this is true, I believe the only way to search what you want is to actually search based on the total number of passengers, instead of separately. In that case, whatever you are able to see will be your option.
Companion pass can be booked as long there are any open seats, doesn’t require WGA.
ursine1 and NoStressHere like this.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by olouie
Companion pass can be booked as long there are any open seats, doesn’t require WGA.
Then OP needs to call.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 1:09 am

There is no way to do what the OP is asking.

The tried and true strategy is to just keep trying to add the companion; a seat may open up at any time.

Due to the recent schedule changes, telephone lines are jammed, with reported hold times at 2+ hours. So now is not the time to be calling if you can avoid it.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by garykung
Then OP needs to call.
If there are no seats, calling in will still be no open seats. (why would it be different by calling in?)
steved5480 likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 11:53 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
Just keep checking. People cancel and change their itineraries all the time even pre-covid, probably more so now.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Marko123
Just keep checking. People cancel and change their itineraries all the time even pre-covid, probably more so now.
Yep. That is what I am doing.

Happened to me once before - but only two traveling when I forgot to add companion and panicked the day before the flight. Eventually a seat opened up - but that was pre-covid when things were WAY different.
Marko123 likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ursine1
There is no way to do what the OP is asking.

The tried and true strategy is to just keep trying to add the companion; a seat may open up at any time....
This is what I did for a flight yesterday. I booked it, tried to add the companion, and there were no seats left. I decided I'd try every hour, but ended up checking 15 minutes later and there was a seat.
NoStressHere likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
If there are no seats, calling in will still be no open seats. (why would it be different by calling in?)
Even I am mistaken, I believe the only way is to search the total number of passengers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.