Community
Wiki Posts
Search

32 Employees Board First

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2020, 11:26 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by pinniped
even the post about a whole bunch of preboarders sounded more like employees commuting to work than the simply nonrevs.
Crewmembers commuting to work ARE simple non-revs. More accurately defined as Non-rev, space-available (NRSA).

If the airline is directing employees to travel from their normal work location to another location then they aren't NRSA. They are still non-rev but not in the sense that it is usually discussed. Technically, they are non-rev, positive-space (NRPS) but usually called Positive-space to avoid confusion with NRSA. NRPS would include any employee traveling at the direction of the airline as well as crewmembers who are deadheading as part of their trip or to/from training.

The 32 employees described in the original post sound like NRPS. At my airline, most NRPS don't preboard. I don't know SWA's policy.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 12:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LarryJ
Crewmembers commuting to work ARE simple non-revs. More accurately defined as Non-rev, space-available (NRSA).

If the airline is directing employees to travel from their normal work location to another location then they aren't NRSA. They are still non-rev but not in the sense that it is usually discussed. Technically, they are non-rev, positive-space (NRPS) but usually called Positive-space to avoid confusion with NRSA. NRPS would include any employee traveling at the direction of the airline as well as crewmembers who are deadheading as part of their trip or to/from training.

The 32 employees described in the original post sound like NRPS. At my airline, most NRPS don't preboard. I don't know SWA's policy.
OK, I don't know all the acronyms. Also not sure what constitutes a "deadhead" vs. some other kind of airline employee commuting.

They're people going to work, not people going on vacation. The former *usually* does not spawn any ire in the FT community. The latter...you can search for those threads, they aren't hard to find.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 4:55 pm

Also not sure what constitutes a "deadhead" vs. some other kind of airline employee commuting.
It confuses a lot of people. A deadhead is part of a crewmember's trip, built by the airline, where he is riding instead of "working" the flight. It is not commuting.

I'm based in Chicago. Last winter I had a trip which started with a deadhead from Chicago to St. Lucia (UVF). When we arrived I flew the airplane, as a working pilot, to Washington Dulles (IAD). In IAD I went to the hotel for the night then continued my trip the next day. I wasn't commuting as the ORD-UVF was built into my trip. The airline directed me to ride on that flight as a passenger.

That's a deadhead. I was positive-space. If the flight operated, I would be on it.

While I'm based in Chicago, I don't live there. I live in Nashville (BNA). In order to do that trip I had to commute from BNA to ORD the night before the trip started. That is a commute, not a deadhead. The company is not directing me to travel from BNA to ORD. That is something that I choose to do because I didn't spend my days off in the Chicago area.

That is a commute. I was space-available. I only get on the flight *IF* there are seats left over after all revenue passengers are boarded.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 5:40 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
generally, employee is getting paid (on the clock) for a deadhead.; not getting paid (off the clock) for a commute.
LarryJ likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 11:54 pm

And yet as a rev I often see employees in and out of uniform (even non SWA) boarded before revenue passengers.
On one early Covid flight there were 12 SWA employees (in uniform) on board before the 8-10 rev passengers were boarded.
I don't much care but I wish people would be honest. (As A-list I am seldom lower than the mid A-20's and often earlier)
Old Jul 21, 2020, 7:13 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
And yet as a rev I often see employees in and out of uniform (even non SWA) boarded before revenue passengers.
On one early Covid flight there were 12 SWA employees (in uniform) on board before the 8-10 rev passengers were boarded.
I don't much care but I wish people would be honest. (As A-list I am seldom lower than the mid A-20's and often earlier)
What did you find dishonest about it?

Did you get an acceptable seat on this 22-person flight?
Old Jul 21, 2020, 10:10 am

What did you find dishonest about it?

Did you get an acceptable seat on this 22-person flight?
The assertion by some that the employees don't get special treatment.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 11:50 am

The TSA provides for front-of-line access to screening when we are in uniform.

Large airports, and many smaller airports, have KCM so we have our own line. KCM includes a unpredictable selection element which sends some crewmembers to regular screening. If you see a uniformed crewmember using the front-of-line access at an airport with KCM, he's likely been selected for this unpredictable extra screening. (I'd say 'Random' but they say there's more to it than just random selection)

Another possibility is some smaller airlines that don't pay the fee to participate in KCM. Their crewmembers may use the front-of-line access instead since they can't use KCM.

Airports without KCM usually have an employee lane. Some of them, for reasons I can't explain, have the employee lane on the opposite side from the precheck lane which creates an awkward situation where we have to move across all the other lanes from the front of the employee line to the precheck ID checker. A south Florida airport comes to mind, RSW maybe? It doesn't make any sense. It doesn't work well for us and it doesn't work well for the passengers who are in line when we arrive.

As far as arriving earlier, I can only control when I arrive at the airport on the first day of the trip when I'm arriving from home. My airline controls the timing of transportation from hotel layovers and I can't change that. The airlines are concerned with minimizing delayied flights for crew rest when a crew's inbound flight arrives late.

Even if crews did come in early and wait in line, we'd have joined the line earlier and would be in front of you so the line would have been that much longer when you joined it. You wouldn't reach the front of the line any sooner.

The best solution is KCM. It removes all crewmembers, except the few selectees, from the passenger lines.
My point was I feel like 99% of the time crew members (and airline/airport employees) are not actually "cutting" in line, but using different lanes that are available to them.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by 737MAX8
My point was I feel like 99% of the time crew members (and airline/airport employees) are not actually "cutting" in line, but using different lanes that are available to them.
Exactly right. Unfortunately, most of those separate lines lead to the same screening lanes as do all the passenger lines. I was thinking that it was at that point that the passengers were seeing crewmembers "cut" in front of them.

Some airports setup the employee and crew lines so as not to interfere with passenger screening. Others don't.

My home airport has a separate employee screening area that handles all employees, crewmembers, and KCM. It is completely separated from the passenger screening, and even handles selectees separately, so it doesn't interfere with passenger screening at all. I don't know why more airports can't have it setup that like.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
The assertion by some that the employees don't get special treatment.
I think most people would find this not "special treatment" but rather just part of the airline's boarding process.

Again, we're literally talking about spending an extra 5 minutes sitting in a metal tube. We've already established that the passengers aren't actually disadvantaged in any tangible way.

I'm assuming airlines also have break rooms or other resting areas for their employees in airports. Is that "special treatment" too?

This discussion is even sillier right now where no Southwest passenger gets a bad seat - even if you're the final person to board. In "normal" times, I guess someone could come on here and say "I had a B40 boarding pass and I was the first passenger to have to take a middle seat, and I'm *convinced* there were vacationing nonrevs who boarded before me!!" We could debate the merits of the complaint then, but right now, with empty flights galore, there isn't even a real "complaint" to begin with.

Legacy carriers have lots of threads about nonrevs in F (whether perceived or real) but Southwest doesn't even have that kind of "special treatment" available.
lougord99 and ursine1 like this.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 1:09 pm

In "normal" times, I guess someone could come on here and say "I had a B40 boarding pass and I was the first passenger to have to take a middle seat, and I'm *convinced* there were vacationing nonrevs who boarded before me!!"
As I said earlier, I've never worked for SWA.

My understanding of their system is that non-revs (NRSA) aren't assigned a boarding card, and a boarding position, until they are cleared onto the flight by the gate agent which wouldn't be until an hour, or less, before the flight. Revenue passengers are assigned a boarding position when they check in, as much as 24hrs before the flight flight in their itinerary. That would put all revenue passengers ahead of all NRSA passengers in their boarding position.

If they are boarding earlier, they are likely NRPS--positive space or deadhead--passengers and aren't going on vacation. NRPS passengers have a reservation, just like any revenue passenger, so can check-in and receive their boarding position when the check-in window opens.

How are through-passengers who deplane handled these days? Are they allowed to pre-board for the continuing segment?
Old Jul 25, 2020, 5:18 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA

they might have wanted these people to sit together. I’ve been on planes with traveling college teams and they are sitting together.

these OAX also would have been slotted into the plane for capacity tracking
Old Jul 26, 2020, 2:33 am

Is this the biggest thing you can complain about during a Pandemic?
Old Jul 27, 2020, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by djp98374
they might have wanted these people to sit together. I’ve been on planes with traveling college teams and they are sitting together.

these OAX also would have been slotted into the plane for capacity tracking
My daughters have taken a couple of trips with Southwest as middle-school / high-school groups and have just had normal boarding cards. They've ended up scattered around the plane, so it seems like there may be some different processes for this.

I've always thought the best way to handle a school group would be to preboard them with instructions to fill in the seats from the back of the plane forward.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by danielonn
Is this the biggest thing you can complain about ......
I am rather amazed this topic has gotten so many responses.

Who really cares?

(apparently some people do - LOL)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.