32 Employees Board First

Old Jul 12, 20, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

32 Employees Board First

I don’t fly a lot but recently on OAK - HNL there were 21 Southwest employees “commuting” to their Southwest jobs at HNL. All of them got to board first, before A1.

Oh well, but as a customer of a business select fare it seems a bit of a rip off for a customer to board after people that work for the company.
Old Jul 12, 20, 6:39 pm

Why do you find this unusual? I’ve been on countless flights where WN employees board first, and have never seen any of them take one of the “desirable” seats (exit row, LUV seat, etc.). There are likely more per flight right now since the schedule is lighter, but this is a non-issue IMO.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 20, 8:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What seat did you want and what seat did you get?
BearX220, Tanic, kitakizmo and 4 others like this.
Old Jul 12, 20, 9:02 pm

Deadheads and commuters are two different types of passengers. Deadheads are part of the preboard group. This is policy, not a policy violation.

For various operational reasons, there are a lot of deadheads right now.
Old Jul 13, 20, 12:23 am
Original Poster

These were all commuters. A lot of CSRs even.

Its not about the seat. It’s not the message I would want to send to my customers. You guys that paid can all wait while the people you are paying board first. Or all of you that made sure you checked in as soon as possible are no even farther back in the line.

And now all of them are going to the front of the quarantine line entering the terminal so all of their paying customers can wait even longer.
jah718 likes this.
Old Jul 13, 20, 12:53 am

Programs: EK gold for 2020,UA 1K
preboarding at southwest is no different than those crew members that board first at delta,american and united.....my only gripe is the mainline/express carriers that board early...get a seat in the back but put their bags in the overhead bins up front.
Old Jul 13, 20, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by ew6050 View Post
These were all commuters. A lot of CSRs even.

Its not about the seat. It’s not the message I would want to send to my customers. You guys that paid can all wait while the people you are paying board first. Or all of you that made sure you checked in as soon as possible are no even farther back in the line.

And now all of them are going to the front of the quarantine line entering the terminal so all of their paying customers can wait even longer.
[snark redacted]
steved5480 likes this.

Last edited by nsx; Jul 13, 20 at 10:38 am Reason: content-free snark needs to be a lot funnier than that
Old Jul 13, 20, 7:58 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by cosflyer View Post
preboarding at southwest is no different than those crew members that board first at delta,american and united.....my only gripe is the mainline/express carriers that board early...get a seat in the back but put their bags in the overhead bins up front.
I have not seen employees of AA, even the pilots board first .. they are always the last to board
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Jul 13, 20, 9:04 am

No way for OP or anyone outside to know who is a deadhead and who is a commuter/nonrev, different rules apply.

If they sat behind the wing and not in the more desirable seats of paying customers (which detail is missing here) is there an issue?
NextTrip likes this.
Old Jul 13, 20, 9:12 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by cosflyer View Post
preboarding at southwest is no different than those crew members that board first at delta,american and united.....
I see a pretty huge difference in preboarding with open seating vs. preboarding with reserved seating. Now reports in this thread seem to indicate that the employees preboarding aren't taking the optimal seats like exit rows, bulkheads, and LUV seats, but it's still a bit of a bad look to have them board before people who might be paying extra for early boarding, isn't it?
Old Jul 13, 20, 9:54 am

Myself, I’d like the pilots and FAs that commute to have an even less stressful flying experience than I do. After all; in the unlikely event the .... hits the fan, they could save my life. I’d prefer they were well rested.
bgasser and kitakizmo like this.
Old Jul 13, 20, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by lo2e View Post
it's still a bit of a bad look to have them board before people who might be paying extra for early boarding, isn't it?
No it's not, IMO.
Tanic, bgasser, kitakizmo and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 13, 20, 2:15 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
I've never worked for SWA but have non-revved on them quite a bit. I was also an A-Lister way back when it was new, ~2008ish.

Non-revs on SWA are expected to sit in the back-half of the airplane--behind the exit row. No bulkheads, no exit rows.

As an off-line jumpseater, the ops agent will often have us pre-board to let the Captain verify our documentation and make a decision on whether to accept us. If the availability of empty seats is in doubt, they've often asked me to take a seat in the back (behind the exit row) and stay alert for them paging me if they need me to move up to the cockpit jumpseat.

As a non-rev, space-available or positive-space, regardless of airline, I avoid placing bags in areas that have restricted overhead space. This would include the first few rows after a bulkhead and areas where safety equipment is taking up overhead space. I also try to place my bag as efficiently as possible so as to maximize the capacity bins.
Old Jul 14, 20, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
This officially seems like the least substantive possible thing to complain about.

We've established that they don't hoard the best seats. It's literally that they got to sit in an uncomfortable seat in a metal tube 2 minutes longer than you did.

And no, it's not a bad "look". It actually kind of makes sense, given that those 21 people likely know how to board an aircraft quickly and it probably helps for the working crew to know where they are before the plane is full of people.
Old Jul 15, 20, 9:05 am

Sorry it's a bad look.

I also find it incredibly rude that airline employees "break line" at security because "we are going to work and cant' be late" Gee, I am getting on your plane to go to work and I was able to get to the airport in time to get there without being rude... try it next time!

Why do airline employees get this "special treatment". (I admit that I really find it "bad" because I know some airline employees who dress in uniforms for leisure travel so they can "jump the lines" )

Search this Thread
Search Engine: