Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest Mandates Pax Masks

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2020, 3:11 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by Jerseyguy
Well regardless of whether you are correct if customer perception is that masks help reduce the risk then they won't be traveling to see family on planes where people don't wear them. Since people get their coronavirus information from news outlets that quote sources like the Mayo Clinic CDC, and the World Health Organization which recommend a mask, they are likely to have that same perception again whether its correct or not.

While I guess an airline could reduce flights perhaps to increase load factors, doing so would increase layoffs of pilots, flight attendants, baggage handlers, rental car agents, hotel clerks, parking lot attendants (and I could go on), but by all means refuse to wear the mask.
Oh wow, I do get my coronavirus information from the CDC, Mayo Clinic, and WHO before it gets dramatized by the media. Straight from the source. I suggest you try it. While you are at it, please find a scientific controlled real-life study that proves mask wearing by asymptomatic people in a casual setting actually stops more people from getting sick than % increases caused by 1) Touching ones face all the time playing with their mask. 2) A false sense of security that one gets wearing a mask causing more interactions because they"feel safe" even though masks are largely ineffective for the user. I will be waiting eagerly for your answer.

Either way, until places like Disney open without masks...I frankly would rather be at home and not traveling (maybe my opinion would change if I got Lasik and got rid of my glasses). By all means wear one if it makes you "feel safe", it is your face and your body. However, making you "feel safe" while it makes me actually more unsafe is not very fair or smart in my book.

Last edited by pgh234; May 18, 2020 at 3:16 pm
Old May 18, 2020, 5:07 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
Originally Posted by pgh234
Oh wow, I do get my coronavirus information from the CDC, Mayo Clinic, and WHO before it gets dramatized by the media. Straight from the source. I suggest you try it. While you are at it, please find a scientific controlled real-life study that proves mask wearing by asymptomatic people in a casual setting actually stops more people from getting sick than % increases caused by 1) Touching ones face all the time playing with their mask. 2) A false sense of security that one gets wearing a mask causing more interactions because they"feel safe" even though masks are largely ineffective for the user. I will be waiting eagerly for your answer.

Either way, until places like Disney open without masks...I frankly would rather be at home and not traveling (maybe my opinion would change if I got Lasik and got rid of my glasses). By all means wear one if it makes you "feel safe", it is your face and your body. However, making you "feel safe" while it makes me actually more unsafe is not very fair or smart in my book.
Get it straight from the source..OK
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...coverings.html

CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain (e.g., grocery stores and pharmacies), especially in areas of significant community-based transmission.

I don't think I could find a more difficult setting to practice social distancing than a plane where you are required to be well within 6 feet of someone for hours

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20479963

Cover your face with a cloth face covering in public spaces, such as the grocery store, where it's difficult to avoid close contact with others, especially if you're in an area with ongoing community spread.

Again really difficult to avoid contact on a plane
screeton likes this.
Old May 18, 2020, 6:30 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by Jerseyguy
Get it straight from the source..OK
You failed to answer my question. Anyway, here is my straight from the source (CDC) link with like science and numbers and fun stuff like that.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6914e1.htm

From my understanding, the above Singapore study was the one that changed the WHO's and CDC's recommendation of recommending mandatory mask wearing for all asymptomatic people. Basically, 6.4% of SARS-CoV-2 transmissions were from asymptomatic transmissions. However, when you read the study, all of this 6.4% was from church choirs or people sleeping with each other!! Nobody should be singing on a plane or in the grocery store. Me just sitting there breathing normally on a plane with an occasional spoken word seems to have no calculable risk that I can find. What DOES seem risky is the placebo effect of wearing my mask...the fact I touch my face all the time adjusting and removing my mask...and walking into stuff with my fogged up glasses (I have the bruises to prove it)!

I spent quite a bit of time in the Peanut Gallery thread a few weeks ago trying to facilitate intelligent debate on the topic and there was none to be had. So I do not care to dive into this foray any further today.
Old May 18, 2020, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Delta, HGP Diamond, HH Gold, Marriott, CC Gold, SPG
https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the...hem-avoid-them

goes into detail how one can catch covid-19 by breathing normally without a mask for long periods
Tanic likes this.
Old May 18, 2020, 9:10 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by Finkface
You're kidding, right? This (not drinking) goes against all medical advice out there to stay hydrated for so many reasons, including DVT and general health/immune system. Not to mention just plain thirst. And tell that diabetic that he cannot eat when he needs to. That will end well. Is this where our paranoia has taken us? Is this what we have become? No water for you!
Yes, I guess... and this is why a mask required for everyone while flying policy won't work. Taking the mask off compromises the mask, is unsanitary, and negates the benefit of the mask to the user and those around the user. The handling of the mask and additional hand-face contact resulting from taking a mask on and off to "eat or drink" may end up giving someone germs/contamination they otherwise would not have gotten had they kept their hands away from their face/mouth (which they would have, had they not been having to put a mask on and off and on and off). Too many "exceptions." We flew without masks on for decades. We took the risk. I am sure some people got sick in airplanes and would have not gotten sick had they/others been wearing masks. I am a lot more comfortable with wearing a mask in a plane but don't think it is my place to force everyone else to, also. But the mask only protects everyone if everyone is wearing a clean mask, and there is no taking the mask on and off because that is what spreads germs is the taking the mask on and off.
Old May 18, 2020, 9:16 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by pgh234

You are correct. Because so many people use their masks improperly, the masks are less safe than not having one at all. If people properly used fresh clean masks REPLACED AFTER EACH FLIGHT and did NOT TOUCH THE MASK ONCE OTHER THAN TO PUT IT ON AND TAKE IT OFF ONE TIME then it would be good and a benefit to all. But that is not what is happening here. Not in the US.

And in a flight that person's germ filled mask is within inches of me too. Who knows what crap germs, theirs or otherwise, are stuck to that mask. At least with no mask the germs do not stick easily to the face; the virus does not stick well to hair, etc.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

SWA Tightens Mask Mandate

“If a Customer is unable to wear a face covering for any reason (even a verifiable medical condition), we regret that we are unable to transport the Customer."

Southwest spokesperson Brian Parrish tells CNN the new policy takes effect Monday and will prohibit passengers from claiming medical or disability exemptions to the rule, which the airline currently allows. The mask requirement will also apply to passengers in the airport from check-in to baggage claim.

CNN
swaluvr, screeton and ursine1 like this.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 6:04 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Eh ... so far, everyone's worn one ... at boarding. Can't imagine this will change things much in practice.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender
“If a Customer is unable to wear a face covering for any reason (even a verifiable medical condition), we regret that we are unable to transport the Customer."

Southwest spokesperson Brian Parrish tells CNN the new policy takes effect Monday and will prohibit passengers from claiming medical or disability exemptions to the rule, which the airline currently allows. The mask requirement will also apply to passengers in the airport from check-in to baggage claim.

CNN
I posted about this earlier in the Peanut Gallery thread (where I assume all mask discussion will end up.)
steved5480 likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 9:15 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by Finkface
You're kidding, right? This (not drinking) goes against all medical advice out there to stay hydrated for so many reasons, including DVT and general health/immune system. Not to mention just plain thirst. And tell that diabetic that he cannot eat when he needs to. That will end well. Is this where our paranoia has taken us? Is this what we have become? No water for you!
There’s no end to what casual reading can tell you! Here’s mine.

While it may go against what people generally believe, it doesn’t go against all medical advice. There's no scientific evidence to support the claim that the average human needs to drink 8 glasses of water each day. Much liquid comes from eating fresh food. And some water too of course, not soft drinks or coffee. And if you make an everyday habit of it, you will not suddenly become dehydrated unless you run a marathon.

And while we’re at it, forget snacking. A study a few years back in people with type 2 diabetes found that eating only two large meals per day resulted in lower fasting blood sugar levels, better insulin sensitivity and greater weight loss than eating six times per day. Other studies have reported no difference in blood sugar levels when the same amount of food was consumed as meals. Some even sleep through it all!

Aren’t you glad you asked?
screeton and steved5480 like this.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 11:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by vanillabean
And if you make an everyday habit of it, you will not suddenly become dehydrated unless you run a marathon.
And the need to "keep hydrated" even during exercise is seriously overhyped, largely a consequence of marketing from sports-drink manufacturers seeking to sell more product. As a result, when marathons were still being held, hyponatremia was a more likely (and serious) risk for the slower runners than dehydration.

Avoiding drinking on your flight not only keeps mask in place, it reduces the likelihood you'll need to use the lav ("don't touch anything").
lougord99 and screeton like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.