Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest Mandates Pax Masks

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2020, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Southwest Mandates Pax Masks

KXAS

Passengers will be required to wear face coverings on all Southwest flights beginning May 11. Face masks will be provided by flight crews for those who don't have one, Southwest said in a news release.

Southwest employees who interact with customers directly will be required to wear masks by May 3...

Last edited by ftnoob; May 8, 2020 at 11:34 pm Reason: Excessive quoting of copyrighted material https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#commercial
Old May 1, 2020, 11:17 am

Also, loads will be capped at 79 pax on -700 and 102 on -800.
TEBraniff likes this.
Old May 1, 2020, 11:29 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by hat attack
Also, loads will be capped at 79 pax on -700 and 102 on -800.
Southwest will keep blocking the first and last 2-3 rows for crew.

​​​​​​Thus the passenger caps guarantee 28 open seats in the usable passenger area on a -700, (29 on a -800). By my math, a little over half of the middle seats.

Last edited by expert7700; May 1, 2020 at 12:45 pm
Old May 1, 2020, 11:35 am
Original Poster

SWA Release
sdsearch and screeton like this.
Old May 1, 2020, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700

​​​​​​Thus the passenger caps guarantee 28 open seats in the usable passenger area on a -700, (29 on a -800). By my math, a little over half of the middle seats.

Which contradicts what was said in the video posted by GK today, they said middle seats would be available. Guess not.
Old May 1, 2020, 2:09 pm

Programs: WN CP, HHonors, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Premier,LaQuinta Elite, Amtrak
Good for Southwest! This is the sensible response to this pandemic; the only mild criticism might be asking why SWA brought up the rear with this policy rather than leading with it. For those who whine about wearing masks, I am wearing a mask to protect you, more than to protect myself, and I expect the same courtesy from you. The mandatory mask decision, along with the decision to limit cabin occupancy, will go a long way toward restoring consumer confidence in the safety of air travel during this time. Its an easy fix, particularly at a time when passenger counts are still anemic. Over time, hopefully some of these conditions (particularly seating) can be relaxed as we get "herd immunity" and better understanding of treatment and possible vaccine. We all know that flying half-empty planes is not sustainable over the long term.
mke9499, alggag, ursine1 and 2 others like this.

Last edited by screeton; May 1, 2020 at 2:17 pm
Old May 1, 2020, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by ave1024
Which contradicts what was said in the video posted by GK today, they said middle seats would be available. Guess not.
I don't think the announcement ever said no one could sit in a middle seat, only that it would not be necessary, They also say that families can sit together. That to me would mean a family could sit in a row together..
screeton likes this.
Old May 1, 2020, 2:43 pm

Where exactly do you see that middles are unavailable? I certainly don't.
Old May 1, 2020, 3:45 pm
Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Rapid Rewards, IHG/Kimpton, Bonvoy, AA/oneworld, British Airways
Hey all - The full details of the plan, including a video are available at https://www.southwest.com/promise

From that page:
We are limiting the number of people onboard each flight to provide Customers more personal space to spread out and there will be no need for the middle seat to be occupied. (Currently through June)
  • Customers can pick their seat—if you’re traveling together, you’re welcome to sit together.
  • Seats will not be blocked, but the first two to three and last two to three rows will be blocked, and we will not direct Customers where to sit.
also in the FAQs on the page:
We are limiting the number of people onboard each flight to provide Customers more personal space so there will be no need for the middle seat to be occupied (currently through June). Customers can pick their seat—if you’re traveling together, you’re welcome to sit together.

disclaimer: I don't know any more than what is on that page, I'm just sharing the best source for the information that has been provided by the Company.
Old May 1, 2020, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by smmrfld
Where exactly do you see that middles are unavailable? I certainly don't.
I never said they would be unavailable. I am saying their video is smoke and mirrors. Listen to it. Here are two parts that are grossly wrong.

"We won't be blocking middle seats, but we are limiting the number of customers on flight"
HARDLY, AND VERY DECEIVING WHEN YOU DO THE ACTUAL MATH.

"There will still be enough open seats so the middle seats can remain empty"
WRONG, AGAIN DO THE MATH AND ONLY 1/4 OF THE MIDDLE SEATS WILL BE EMPTY ON A "SOLD OUT" FLIGHT

Am I the only person that sees this?
Old May 1, 2020, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by SWAVictor
Hey all - The full details of the plan, including a video are available at https://www.southwest.com/promise

also in the FAQs on the page:
We are limiting the number of people onboard each flight to provide Customers more personal space so there will be no need for the middle seat to be occupied (currently through June).
While I get you are only reading what they said, do the math. There is currently "just over 100" seats sold on a flight I am currently ticketed on. Lets say it's 102 seats as I think that was the max they said they said they would sell on a 700. The flight is scheduled to be a 700.

143 seats on the plane. Block off six rows for crew and you are down to 107 seats.

That means that ALL middle seats will be taken EXCEPT for five sets of three seats.

Am I missing the math here? What SW is saying in this video is a blatant lie. If somebody wants to tell me otherwise I am happy to admit I am wrong. The ONLY social distancing happening on this flight is for the crew. Maybe if SW decides to not block off the six rows you can have more middle seats available. But is this going to happen?
Old May 1, 2020, 4:21 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
So today, I went on one of those "maker" sites and ordered a mask that'll express my feelings about all this- if they're gonna make me wear some BS mask, I'm going to wear a BS mask (and not a msec longer than forced to).
BigJC and TEBraniff like this.
Old May 1, 2020, 4:23 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by expert7700

While I get you are only reading what they said, do the math. There is currently "just over 100" seats sold on a flight I am currently ticketed on. Lets say it's 102 seats as I think that was the max they said they said they would sell on a 700. The flight is scheduled to be a 700.

143 seats on the plane. Block off six rows for crew and you are down to 107 seats.

That means that ALL middle seats will be taken EXCEPT for five sets of three seats.

Am I missing the math here? What SW is saying in this video is a blatant lie. If somebody wants to tell me otherwise I am happy to admit I am wrong. The ONLY social distancing happening on this flight is for the crew. Maybe if SW decides to not block off the six rows you can have more middle seats available. But is this going to happen?
I think blocking off 2-3 rows for crew is the key. I suspect if flights are empty, they'll block off 3 rows at the front/back. But if a flight is"fully" booked at 79, then they'll only block 2 rows off at the front and back on a -700.
The math works out.

143 total seats - 12 blocked in front - 12 blocked in back = 119 seats left for passengers to choose from.

119 seats - 79 total passengers = 40 open seats out of what's left. (Not including the blocked off rows)

There are 24 rows total. But we only need to worry about 20 rows, since the first/last 2 rows are not available for seating. Each row has 2 middle (B/E) seats. (We'll count the exit row LUV B seat in this too).

So there are 20 * 2 B/E seats = 40 middle seats on the plane that passengers can potentially sit in.

The number of middle seats available to passengers = the number of unfilled seats.

Thus, they can guarantee that no middles need to be taken (as long as they only block off 2, not 3 rows of seats when they have a "full" 79 passengers).
Old May 1, 2020, 4:46 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Nope. If they do that, I'll fly someone else.
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
if they're gonna make me wear some BS mask, I'm going to wear a BS mask.
Wait.
tusphotog, alggag, ursine1 and 2 others like this.
Old May 1, 2020, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by ryw

Thus, they can guarantee that no middles need to be taken (as long as they only block off 2, not 3 rows of seats when they have a "full" 79 passengers).

I am ticketed on a flight that is scheduled to use 700 aircraft and they told me they had just over 100 seats booked on it. Maybe they will swap it with 800 aircraft but if they don't then there will only be 5 middle seats empty if they block off 3 rows on both side. But yes that is the key. Maybe they will agree to not block them off if they realize they are overbooked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.