Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Any idea what flight loads have recently been like?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any idea what flight loads have recently been like?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2020, 5:15 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
I am still flying regularly, and my last 8 southwest flights (over the last 3 weeks) have had between 6 and 15 passengers, including airline employees (typically 3-4 per flight).

similar numbers on Delta and AA. I have not flown United in the past 90 days.
MSP_Monopoly likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 7:09 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
I flew today (4/25) from FLL to BNA. The FLL airport was absolutely empty. All retail and restaurants closed. No pre-check. There was only 15 pax on the flight. Inbound came in from BWI and only had 8 pax.

They block the first 3 rows of the plane and also the last 3 rows. I’d say about 10 out of the 15 pax wore masks.

Overall uneventful. It sure was odd being in an airport basically all alone. It was SO quiet!!
Old Apr 25, 2020, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
I flew today (4/25) from FLL to BNA. The FLL airport was absolutely empty. All retail and restaurants closed. No pre-check. There was only 15 pax on the flight. Inbound came in from BWI and only had 8 pax.

They block the first 3 rows of the plane and also the last 3 rows. I’d say about 10 out of the 15 pax wore masks.

Overall uneventful. It sure was odd being in an airport basically all alone. It was SO quiet!!
Similar experience for me last week from Cle - Atl. 13 people on board, first and last three rows of the plane "blocked". Flight attendants sat in Row 1. Passengers all had masks and seemed to be taking everything very serious -- but flight attendants and airport personnel seemed to be very relaxed.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 5:18 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
I assume that the last 3 rows are blocked because of weight and balance issues on a lightly loaded plane.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 5:59 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by lougord99
I assume that the last 3 rows are blocked because of weight and balance issues on a lightly loaded plane.

no. they are blocked to give social distancing (space) between the passengers and the flight attendants in the rear galley/jumpseat.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 9:45 am

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by zeus2120
Similar experience .... but flight attendants and airport personnel seemed to be very relaxed.
Totally agree! SW ground staff at FLL were not taking anything serious. No masks, no social distancing, all sitting around right next to each other near the gate chatting.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 10:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The rub comes shortly as travel opens up. No additional frequencies until the loads support it.

CDC social distancing would permit one passenger in the window every 2 rows. That means a 16% load factor is a "full" aircraft. The fares to support that are likely not doable.
ryw likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 2:11 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
Totally agree! SW ground staff at FLL were not taking anything serious. No masks, no social distancing, all sitting around right next to each other near the gate chatting.
That's been my experience, too- and yet, all still alive! Go figure!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.