Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

U.S. Domestic Passenger Flights Could Virtually Shut Down

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

U.S. Domestic Passenger Flights Could Virtually Shut Down

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2020, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by UA Apologist
Try to explain away the quote below:
That is in the section entitled when the airline is not at fault. When the airline cancels the flight is in the other category in the page (airline at fault).
Old Mar 30, 2020, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by chessman
That is in the section entitled when the airline is not at fault. When the airline cancels the flight is in the other category in the page (airline at fault).
The OP should read the heading above the quoted passage:

When the airline is not at fault:[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE]

That is when the airline cannot fly not when they choose not to fly for financial reasons. Having an insufficient passenger load isn't such a reason. If the airport were closed for a blizzard, hurricane, an air traffic control issue or a government ordered shutdown then this would apply.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
The OP should read the heading above the quoted passage:

When the airline is not at fault:

That is when the airline cannot fly not when they choose not to fly for financial reasons. Having an insufficient passenger load isn't such a reason. If the airport were closed for a blizzard, hurricane, an air traffic control issue or a government ordered shutdown then this would apply.
How about a pandemic?
Old Mar 30, 2020, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Boghopper
How about a pandemic?
There's ample evidence cancellation choices were compelled. Texas demands every pax inbound from ATL, MSY, SFO, LAX, LGA, etc. quarantine 14 days. Not an outright ban, but a narrowing control.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 9:41 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
How about a pandemic?
its an act of god.....
Old Mar 30, 2020, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by chessman
Are you saying airlines are at fault for COVID-19?
Old Mar 30, 2020, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by TBD
Ah, that's not the following paragraph on the page I quoted.
I'd respond by pasting the same paragraph again that I posted quote a few posts above.

I suppose you're welcome to rely on whichever conflicting paragraph you want, but I'm inclined to rely on the one that specifically says I am due a refund.
The guidance is conflicting only if you choose to pretend that language that is not convenient is not relevant.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 1:30 pm

How about a pandemic?
The airlines could elect to fly the planes with very light loads. It is their decision to cancel that is their sole decision form their own convenience.. If the government orders a shutdown that is different.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 1:31 pm

Are you saying airlines are at fault for COVID-19?
No but that are cancelling for their own benefit not because they are unable to fly.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender
There's ample evidence cancellation choices were compelled. Texas demands every pax inbound from ATL, MSY, SFO, LAX, LGA, etc. quarantine 14 days. Not an outright ban, but a narrowing control.
Only some cancellation choices are sorta of compelled. There is no restriction on flying into ATL MSY or any of the others as far as I can tell. Those restrictions also don't generally apply to all passengers. Residents appear to be exempt.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
No but that are cancelling for their own benefit not because they are unable to fly.
The question is whether or not airlines are at fault, not whether or not airlines are able to fly.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by djp98374
its an act of god.....
Not the position most cancellation insurance carriers are currently taking...
Old Mar 30, 2020, 4:01 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
The question is whether or not airlines are at fault, not whether or not airlines are able to fly.
It's the same question right now. This is the WN forum, so we're primarily talking about domestic flights. To my knowledge, except for a few scenarios like NY/NJ to FL, the government has not prohibited domestic flights. If WN chooses to cancel a flight that they are otherwise legally and operationally allowed to fly, then they are indeed "at fault" for that decision and must, in accordance with the DOT rules, offer a cash refund.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA, WN
If airlines are operating with social distancing rules now and in the future, wouldn't they need to raise fares significantly, because their planes would only be 1/4th full? I'm assuming RR points would also be devalued too, as a way to cut costs.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 4:19 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by Vitaforce
If airlines are operating with social distancing rules now and in the future, wouldn't they need to raise fares significantly, because their planes would only be 1/4th full? I'm assuming RR points would also be devalued too, as a way to cut costs.
Social distancing or not ... the uncertainty in airfares is another reason travelers shouldn't let airlines off the hook. If I'm on a budget and found a $100 fare to see my aunt, there's nothing to guarantee I'll see that same fare ever again. Why should the traveler have to shell out additional money on top of the credit with no recourse to get what (s)he originally purchased? That's not right, either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.