Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

U.S. Domestic Passenger Flights Could Virtually Shut Down

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

U.S. Domestic Passenger Flights Could Virtually Shut Down

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2020, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by xliioper
WN is still bound by their Contract of Carriage which has not been modified since crisis began --

9. Service Interruptions
Refer to Section 8 for conditions applicable to international travel.
a. Failure to Operate as Scheduled
(1) Canceled Flights or Irregular Operations. In the event Carrier cancels or fails to operate any flight according to Carrier’s published schedule, or changes the schedule of any flight, Carrier will, at the request of a Passenger with a confirmed Ticket on such flight, take one of the following actions:
(i) Transport the Passenger at no additional charge on Carrier’s next flight(s) on which space is available to the Passenger’s intended destination, in accordance with Carrier’s established reaccommodation practices; or
(ii) Refund the unused portion of the Passenger’s fare in accordance with Section 4c.
Hopefully, yes. But I'm assuming that Southwest's lawyers have written the CoC is such a way as to allow alternate interpretations, including declaration (by Southwest) of a force majeure event.

That said:

The section you posted refers back to section 4c: (emphasis mine)

4c. Refunds
(3) Nonrefundable Tickets.
(i) General. The fare paid for unused travel by Passengers who purchase restricted, nonrefundable Tickets are not eligible for refunds, except as provided in this Section and Section 9b. Taxes, security fees, and Passenger Facility Charges associated with a nonrefundable fare are also not eligible for refund except as required by applicable regulations.
(ii) Travel Credit. Unless otherwise stated by Carrier, the fare paid for unused nonrefundable Tickets, including taxes, security fees, and Passenger Facility Charges, may be applied toward the purchase of future travel on Carrier for the originally ticketed Passenger only. The new Ticket may be more or less expensive or subject to different terms, conditions, or restrictions from the original Ticket. If the fare is lower, travel credit will be issued for the difference. No cash refund or credit card adjustments will be made for nonrefundable Tickets.
(iii) Travel Credit Eligibility. The expiration date of any travel credit will apply to any Tickets purchased with these funds. If a Ticket is purchased with multiple travel credits, the earliest expiration date will apply to the entire Ticket.
(iv) Travel Credit Forfeiture. Should a Passenger fail to apply the nonrefundable Ticket or travel credit toward the purchase of future travel within the eligibility period, the entire amount of the fare, including all taxes, security fees, and Passenger Facility Charges, will be forfeited.

(4) Delays or Involuntary Cancellations. If a Passenger’s scheduled transportation is canceled, terminated, or delayed before the Passenger has reached his/her final destination as a result of a flight cancellation, Carrier-caused missed connection, flight delay, or omission of a scheduled stop, Carrier will either transport the Passenger at no additional charge on another of Carrier’s flights, refund the fare for the unused transportation in accordance with the form of payment utilized for the Ticket, or provide a credit for such amount toward the purchase of future travel
It could be argued that providing travel funds satisfies this requirement.

To be clear, I am not advocating this, just stating what a Southwest lawyer might.

Last edited by ursine1; Mar 26, 2020 at 9:00 pm
Old Mar 27, 2020, 12:31 am

Maybe I should've waited longer to cancel my April flights in hopes of an actual refund. Seems like they may cancel the flights altogether. Oops.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 5:49 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by ursine1
Again, for the umteenth time, it's not a government regulation.
Again for the umteenth time, it is specifically, clearly, and undeniably called out on the DOT website, which I quoted above.
And for my second time, so long as the DOT is the one calling balls/strikes, you can't brush off their "guidance" just because it isn't in a FAR.
The DOT supersedes WN's COC.

Southwest can say they don't need to refund until they go bankrupt. That doesn't make it true.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by TBD
Again for the umteenth time, it is specifically, clearly, and undeniably called out on the DOT website, which I quoted above.
And for my second time, so long as the DOT is the one calling balls/strikes, you can't brush off their "guidance" just because it isn't in a FAR.
The DOT supersedes WN's COC.

Southwest can say they don't need to refund until they go bankrupt. That doesn't make it true.
There is no federal regulation.

DOT guidance does not supersede the Southwest CoC.

That DOT guidance is written to reflect current air carrier policies. Which are based on their own CoC. DOT guidance can change at any time, and very well may based on this situation.

Since Southwest is now, in fact, refusing to refund any WGA fares for flights cancelled by "government mandate" apparently they feel they have a right to do that.

Southwest has very highly paid lawyers.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Last edited by ursine1; Mar 27, 2020 at 11:45 pm
Old Mar 28, 2020, 12:56 am

Let's be clear. §259.5 Sec 4 "ENHANCED PROTECTIONS FOR AIRLINE PASSENGERS" is fully enforceable:
(4) Allowing reservations to be held at the quoted fare without payment, or cancelled without penalty, for at least twenty-four hours after the reservation is made if the reservation is made one week or more prior to a flight's departure.
No airline's CoC can void that..nor supersede DOTs lengthy tarmac delay penalties.

Guidance on refunds for non-refundable fares may reflect current air carrier policies. But non-compliance seems high-risk.

"If your flight is cancelled and you choose to cancel your trip as a result, you are entitled to a refund for the unused transportation – even for non-refundable tickets. You are also entitled to a refund for any bag fee that you paid, and any extras you may have purchased, such as a seat assignment."
Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:43 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by TBD
Bottom line: Don't accept a voucher is WN cancels your flight. You're right to demand a refund no matter what WN tells you.
I personally plan to travel again, once the current restrictions are lifted. If floating airlines a loan for travel I already paid for helps keep them out of bankruptcy, avoids even larger government bailouts, then I am happy to do so.
lougord99 and kennycrudup like this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 9:53 am

Programs: Southwest A List Preferred, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, American Airlines Gold
Originally Posted by diver858
I personally plan to travel again, once the current restrictions are lifted. If floating airlines a loan for travel I already paid for helps keep them out of bankruptcy, avoids even larger government bailouts, then I am happy to do so.
I plan to travel again once things are over. However, I'm not a bank, and an airline is not a charity. I'm okay with them enforcing the rules, but I expect them to play by the rules.

I would not mind travel credit for the most part except that I wouldn't have travel interruption insurance from my credit card. If Southwest wants me to take travel credit, I will do it if they will provide the same benefits as my credit card. If not, no. I've got a copy of the CoC as well as the DOT guidance. Small claims court is easy enough, and refusing to honor their CoC is clearly acting in bad faith.

Of course, the real fun starts with when the class action suits start. Yay! We all get a free drink coupon and the lawyers get millions.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 10:30 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Definitely a nice thought and probably echos a lot of us fans of WN here.

However, the general public and infrequent travelers probably are going to feel differently. Especially when there is no updated "dates & plans" to change to. Did anyone think of this? When was the last time an airline allowed one to fly and pay later?
Old Mar 28, 2020, 6:08 pm
jmw

Southwest used their lawyers long time ago to make sure that their CoC is iron clad.

You can't rely on a supposed DOT federal rule and still sue in small claims court. You will get thrown out by lack of subject matter jurisdiction. This means you need to spend money on a lawyer admitted to the federal bar. I'm 99% sure Southwest knows this and told all CSRs no further exceptions.

That leaves just the CoC for small claims court. As stated above, section 4c doesn't sound all that favorable for the passenger seeking a refund as the only acceptable outcome. Section 9 goes back to the dreaded section 4c, so you're still hosed. Small claims court isn't going to work.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by TBD
I know FT is awash with threads on this, which makes things hard to find ... but could you please provide a source?

The US Dept of Transportation is quite clear that this is a fact:
"If your flight is cancelled and you choose to cancel your trip as a result, you are entitled to a refund for the unused transportation – even for non-refundable tickets. You are also entitled to a refund for any bag fee that you paid, and any extras you may have purchased, such as a seat assignment. " (DOT website)
Is there a reason you are not including the language immediately below the paragraph that you are quoting?
ursine1 likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender
Let's be clear. §259.5 Sec 4 "ENHANCED PROTECTIONS FOR AIRLINE PASSENGERS" is fully enforceable:
No airline's CoC can void that..nor supersede DOTs lengthy tarmac delay penalties.

Guidance on refunds for non-refundable fares may reflect current air carrier policies. But non-compliance seems high-risk.
That FAR is the "24 hour rule," which, of course, has nothing to do with the conversation here.

Carriers are absolutely willing to take calculated risks right now, as they face dire circumstances.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
That FAR is the "24 hour rule," which, of course, has nothing to do with the conversation here.

Carriers are absolutely willing to take calculated risks right now, as they face dire circumstances.
The Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) has everything to do with the conversation here. It ensures responsiveness to consumer problems. Each carrier files a Customer Service Plan applicable to its scheduled flights. Airlines are required to audit adherence to its plan annually.

Scenarios arising from the coronavirus pandemic were not prescribed. And DOT guidance cited is not conclusive and is presumably breakable.

FAR’s ensure safe aviation procedures and programs.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 11:21 am
TBD

Originally Posted by jmw
You can't rely on a supposed DOT federal rule and still sue in small claims court. You will get thrown out by lack of subject matter jurisdiction. This means you need to spend money on a lawyer admitted to the federal bar. I'm 99% sure Southwest knows this and told all CSRs no further exceptions.
You're right. Southwest isn't stupid. And we both know they aren't stupid enough to spend $8,000 on legal fees to fight a $200 refund.
Originally Posted by UA Apologist
Is there a reason you are not including the language immediately below the paragraph that you are quoting?
The next paragraph says how to evaluate a credit with consideration of availability, etc.
It does not indicate that a credit is an acceptable substitute for a refund while it does specifically say that a refund is due. It does not say that you must accept a credit. It doesn't even suggest that you should accept it. The next paragraph isn't quoted because it isn't relevant.
I think that's perfectly reasonable.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by TBD
The next paragraph says how to evaluate a credit with consideration of availability, etc.
It does not indicate that a credit is an acceptable substitute for a refund while it does specifically say that a refund is due. It does not say that you must accept a credit. It doesn't even suggest that you should accept it. The next paragraph isn't quoted because it isn't relevant.
Try to explain away the quote below:

ursine1 likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 6:40 am
TBD

Originally Posted by UA Apologist
Try to explain away the quote below:
Ah, that's not the following paragraph on the page I quoted.
I'd respond by pasting the same paragraph again that I posted quote a few posts above.

I suppose you're welcome to rely on whichever conflicting paragraph you want, but I'm inclined to rely on the one that specifically says I am due a refund.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.