FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   Reprice your trips now! Super-low fares for travel through early June (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/2011842-reprice-your-trips-now-super-low-fares-travel-through-early-june.html)

ursine1 Mar 16, 2020 7:36 pm

Everyone booking/repricing all those super cheap fares for the next two months or so... do you really expect you'll be able to/choose to take those flights? (Serious question.)

kennycrudup Mar 16, 2020 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1 (Post 32195605)
do you really expect you'll be able to/choose to take those flights?

I'm flying unless they aren't!

The Government needs to step back and consider the long-term economic effects of this current overreaction before they make things even worse. My county is currently curfewed after midnight, yet far more people have died in car accidents in the last few weeks than have of the Coronavirus.

NoStressHere Mar 16, 2020 8:15 pm

Everyone booking/repricing all those super cheap fares for the next two months or so... do you really expect you'll be able to/choose to take those flights? (Serious question.)

Maybe, maybe not.

But worth booking if you have a desire to fly. I have 6 trips book in April-June. Probably will not take them all or any.

Marcus Harper Mar 16, 2020 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere (Post 32195709)
Maybe, maybe not.

But worth booking if you have a desire to fly. I have 6 trips book in April-June. Probably will not take them all or any.

I have 6 trips as well for that timeframe. All are leisure. As long as WN is flying, so am I. The real question is what will happen with status come Dec. 31, 2020?

darthbimmer Mar 16, 2020 10:08 pm

For the next few weeks, no, I'm grounded.

For the following few weeks, maybe. I want to go, but it'll depend on the health situation. Booking now ensures a low price, and the beauty of Southwest is that I can cancel without penalty if necessary.

Looking out toward May, June & beyond... it's much more likely by then but it's hard to call anything 100% right now.

BarryPeters Mar 16, 2020 10:41 pm

I have 7 one way flights between now and early May. I've repriced them a couple of times as prices have dropped. But based on the direction of recent public health guidance on COVID-19, I suspect it's in vain and that domestic flying will be severely curtailed by sometime in April, if not sooner.

expert7700 Mar 16, 2020 11:22 pm

Wow frontpage sale says nothing over $199 (wga)

for the historians in the group: when was the last time Southwest had a cap of $199 for a full fare ticket?. I vaguely remember it being 199 then $219 then.... $699?

​​​​​​

ursine1 Mar 17, 2020 12:02 am

Originally Posted by kennycrudup (Post 32195620)
I'm flying unless they aren't!

The Government needs to step back and consider the long-term economic effects of this current overreaction before they make things even worse. My county is currently curfewed after midnight, yet far more people have died in car accidents in the last few weeks than have of the Coronavirus.

It seems surprising (shocking, saddening) that I need to point this out, but car accidents aren't projected to increase exponentially over the next several weeks.

This situation is unique, and most comparisons are essentially baseless. In my opinion, "overreaction" is a word that won't have much meaning anymore come mid-April.

Here's a great, balanced resource: Don’t Panic: The comprehensive Ars Technica guide to the coronavirus

joshua362 Mar 17, 2020 5:21 am

Originally Posted by expert7700 (Post 32196089)
Wow frontpage sale says nothing over $199 (wga)

for the historians in the group: when was the last time Southwest had a cap of $199 for a full fare ticket?. I vaguely remember it being 199 then $219 then.... $699?

​​​​​​

I recall a heavily touted cap of $299 one way circa 2002-2003

kennycrudup Mar 17, 2020 5:22 am

Originally Posted by ursine1 (Post 32196140)
In my opinion, "overreaction" is a word that won't have much meaning anymore come mid-April.

We shall see, won't we? And AFAIC, only deaths count- just having the stupid thing is meaningless; hell, I could have it now.

ursine1 Mar 17, 2020 6:52 am

Originally Posted by kennycrudup (Post 32196779)
We shall see, won't we? And AFAIC, only deaths count- just having the stupid thing is meaningless; hell, I could have it now.

I really recommend you do some research about the situation. The link I posted earlier is a great start.

Also: White House Takes New Line After Dire Report on Death Toll

Sweeping new federal recommendations announced on Monday for Americans to sharply limit their activities appeared to draw on a dire scientific report warning that, without action by the government and individuals to slow the spread of coronavirus and suppress new cases, 2.2 million people in the United States could die.
Extra credit: Those Who Recover From Coronavirus Can Be Left With Reduced Lung Function, Say Doctors

kennycrudup Mar 17, 2020 6:56 am

Originally Posted by ursine1 (Post 32197020)

2.2 million people in the United States could die.

Yeah, yeah ... remember SARS? They were claiming the same things.

ursine1 Mar 17, 2020 7:00 am

Alrighty. All the best to you.

radonc1 Mar 17, 2020 8:04 am

Originally Posted by kennycrudup (Post 32196779)

I suspect that you may be under 30, and it appears that the mortality for this disease in that age group is basically 0. But even if you are not in that age group.....

Consider the fact that you may be an asymptomatic carrier of the virus. Your expanded travels make you a greater risk for becoming one. And as a carrier, your expanded travels will increase the risk of spreading the disease to others, including those in the vulnerable populations where the mortality rate may be as high as 1%.
And this disease is far more contagious than SARS ever was.

Do you really want to be responsible for such an outcome?

kennycrudup Mar 17, 2020 8:06 am

Originally Posted by radonc1 (Post 32197251)
I suspect that you may be under 30

Nope- smack in the middle of the mortality curve.