FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   Reprice your trips now! Super-low fares for travel through early June (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/2011842-reprice-your-trips-now-super-low-fares-travel-through-early-june.html)

zachary Mar 6, 2020 11:03 am

Reprice your trips now! Super-low fares for travel through early June

Maybe related, I've been monitoring fares for mid- to late March for a while on routes like TPA-PHL and STL-LGA. They dropped in the last 48 hours like I haven't seen before. One flight that was $350 went down to $112. Another that was $219 went down to $129. A third that was $190 went down to $70. Given that all of these flights are only 2-3 weeks away, I was surprised by the size of the price drop.

tusphotog Mar 6, 2020 11:15 am

I’ve seen prices drop $200-$300 on a couple routes out of PHX in March, which is very unusual since this is our busy time.

FWIW, I was in Portland on Wednesday night. The airport was a ghost town at 530p. Phoenix was busy when I left Monday morning, but it’ll be interesting to see how it is next week when I leave.

Peoriaman1 Mar 6, 2020 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by zachary (Post 32150188)
Given that all of these flights are only 2-3 weeks away, I was surprised by the size of the price drop.

Same here. In six days I am flying to FLL. After months of fluctuating between between $194-$209-$229 my flight suddenly dropped yesterday to $145... And this morning it was briefly $124 before going back to $147 where it sits as of a few minutes ago. And now after the weekend its $104.

BarryPeters Mar 6, 2020 9:31 pm

Yep, I just rebooked some non-stop LAX - MDW flights scheduled over the next eight weeks or so. I received credits of anywhere from ten to 75 dollars or so. I booked a new one way non-stop in May between the two airports for 69 dollars, which seems to me quite inexpensive for that time of year!

CalItalian Mar 6, 2020 11:58 pm

There are some crazy low fares out there that appeared over the last few days and sold out flights that are now wide open. LAX-FLL $104 this Sunday, lots more for $108 other days. LAX-MSY $77 April/May selected dates. SAN-HNL for as low as $99. LAX-HNL for as low as $108. And as previously posted in another thread, LAX-SJC/SFO or LAS as low as $30. Some of these are in the upcoming days or weeks but others extend well into May.

I had a vacation planned for the Calle Ocho event in Miami next weekend but since Miami cancelled it today, I'm cancelling my flights, too.

nsx Mar 7, 2020 1:30 am

Transcons for $135 or less with almost no advance purchase. Wow. I might even have a use for one of those.

lougord99 Mar 7, 2020 4:52 am

The very inexpensive fares currently seem to run through the first week of June.

Anyone who has any flight between now and the first week of June needs to check the prices. They are almost certainly lower than the fare you paid.

MichaelKade Mar 7, 2020 6:36 am

Originally Posted by lougord99 (Post 32152759)
The very inexpensive fares currently seem to run through the first week of June.

Anyone who has any flight between now and the first week of June needs to check the prices. They are almost certainly lower than the fare you paid.

so glad i checked - saved on almost every flight i had booked between now and june!

EAJuggalo Mar 7, 2020 6:39 am

My DAL-MKE flight in three weeks went down $4 from when I booked it. My MKE DAL flight in two weeks went up 4500 points.

spongenotbob Mar 7, 2020 8:20 am

Seeing some major fare reductions for transcons in mid-April. As an aside, Delta is selling ATL-SFO for $206 R/T during the same time period. Have never seen it that low.

NoStressHere Mar 7, 2020 2:01 pm

Yep... did some checking on some "normal" bookings of mine and low price dropped even lower. Picked up some points back into the bank.

Most of my bookings were done during the MAX8 window(s), so they are already at very low fares, but will be keeping an eye on those. Right now - no deals on those for me.

KKILR3 Mar 7, 2020 6:33 pm

I've seen some big sales happening, and in some cases the prices went down even more since I repriced them just yesterday!

Trip 1: Minneapolis to Los Angeles (any of BUR, LAX, LGB), Saturday 4/4 avoiding super early or super late flights:
- Booked February 4 for $159 (as MSP-OAK-BUR)
- Repriced yesterday, March 6 for $126 (same flights)
- Repriced just now (March 7) for $91 (now MSP-DEN-LGB at similar times)

Trip 2: Los Angeles (any of BUR, LAX, LGB) to Phoenix, Monday 4/6 early afternoon:
- Booked February 4 for $93 (as BUR-PHX)
- Repriced yesterday for $69 (switching to LAX-PHX at a similar time)
- Repriced just now for $49 (switching back to my original BUR-PHX)

Trip 3: Minneapolis to Chicago, Saturday 6/6 second morning flight of the day, no flexibility on my part at all:
- Booked February 26 for $74
- Repriced yesterday for $69
- Repriced just now for $49

Trip 4: Minneapolis to Chicago, Saturday 8/8 morning or afternoon:
- Booked February 26 for $74
- Repriced yesterday for $69
This one is still going for $69.

I'm not sure what their "floor" is for some of these routes but I will continue to check periodically to see if they drop further.

MichaelKade Mar 7, 2020 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere (Post 32154284)
Most of my bookings were done during the MAX8 window(s), so they are already at very low fares, but will be keeping an eye on those. Right now - no deals on those for me.

Can you elaborate on this for me? Have seen a few mentions but not entirely sure what y'all mean.

Boraxo Mar 7, 2020 8:30 pm

Discovered this on my own today but kudos to OP for the heads up.

I have literally been waiting months for a price drop on my off peak OAK-BUR flights in Early April and today I see they have finally dropped from &69 to $49 one-way. Saves me $80 Each way for family of 4.

unfortunately my late April flights are still pricing at $69+ and May flights to ONT are even higher but patience is a virtue ;) and I don’t see demand curving up...

vike16 Mar 7, 2020 9:06 pm

MCI-MSP just dropped to $49 OW :) Anniversary sale came early so I just refared and saved a lot of money for my mid-April and Memorial Day trips! Thanks for the heads-up!

Now the question is how long does the sale last and do they extend this into summer?

darthbimmer Mar 7, 2020 10:14 pm

Thanks for the heads-up. While some of my existing reservations were booked well enough in advance that I got prices lower than what's available even today, one of my WGA flights did drop by 15% as of today and another dropped by nearly half!

CalItalian Mar 7, 2020 10:20 pm

I booked LAS-DAL on the Friday and Monday of Memorial Day weekend for less than $90 r/t. I like early out and late return and both were available for less than $45 each way.

dcstudent Mar 8, 2020 8:29 am

International flights are dropping too. Just rebooked/repriced a BWI-FLL-SJO which was less than a month out for only $185.

flyer4512 Mar 8, 2020 9:48 am

Originally Posted by NoStressHere (Post 32154284)
Yep... did some checking on some "normal" bookings of mine and low price dropped even lower. Picked up some points back into the bank.

Same here, hard to beat MSP to LAS and TPA for ~5K points each way

ElmhurstNick Mar 8, 2020 11:08 am

My employer saved a bunch on a work trip due to my diligence, and a relative saved 60% off of a $400 circle trip in April when I reminded him to check.

dougbroda Mar 8, 2020 11:23 am

Not as good as some for me but still... Rebooked ALB-RSW in early May (not to save money but due to change in plans) and got back $200 in credit for two.

SoCaltravel Mar 8, 2020 11:54 am

At least for intra-California flights, the fare drop runs through June 3. After that, the fares seem to be the same as before.

dcstudent Mar 8, 2020 4:01 pm

Same with my normal routes. Worked out well for me - repriced all my flights until the first week of June. All $20-60 lower.

Originally Posted by SoCaltravel (Post 32157001)
At least for intra-California flights, the fare drop runs through June 3. After that, the fares seem to be the same as before.

jasonvr Mar 8, 2020 6:55 pm

Just repriced a trip to/from BNA and saved ~13k pts

benfro6 Mar 9, 2020 5:37 am

I’m getting multiple mid-cons out of MDW for $79 or $129, which is incredible. Added a weekend getaway with the wife with nothing out of pocket due to the points and cash savings on my other bookings.

nsx Mar 9, 2020 8:50 am

My Monday morning commute flight is down to 60 pax, about half normal for this time of year. I admire the courage of employees to risk infection so that we can get where we need to go.

jmw Mar 9, 2020 9:17 am

Originally Posted by nsx (Post 32160032)
My Monday morning commute flight is down to 60 pax, about half normal for this time of year. I admire the courage of employees to risk infection so that we can get where we need to go.

My nonstop commute flight this Friday from SJC to ONT has been cancelled without notice. I have to fly through Las Vegas or switch to one of the four remaining nonstops when there used to be 7 or 8 nonstops on a Friday. And remember, this is a Friday, not a midweek.

Unfortunately, the reason why I found out is because I was in the process of cancelling myself off of the flight due to coronavirus.

screeton Mar 9, 2020 9:21 am

Southwest has always made it a point of pride that no employees have ever been involuntarily furloughed, and hopefully that record can be maintained. However, it does seem that some flights are being cut or shifted around. I went through my spreadsheet and repriced a few that were advantageous, but a number of flights which required DAL or HOS change of planes often were resulting in longer layovers, which I interpreted as the result of cutting out a few flights.

jasonvr Mar 9, 2020 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by jmw (Post 32160155)
My nonstop commute flight this Friday from SJC to ONT has been cancelled without notice. I have to fly through Las Vegas or switch to one of the four remaining nonstops when there used to be 7 or 8 nonstops on a Friday. And remember, this is a Friday, not a midweek.

Unfortunately, the reason why I found out is because I was in the process of cancelling myself off of the flight due to coronavirus.

Interesting. My morning SNA-SJC was certainly less full this morning (empty middle). More shocking was the lack of a line at either airport Starbucks at SNA which is usually 30 people deep. It also appears that the early afternoon SJC-SNA flight (~3pm) has disappeared from the schedule. I took it home last Friday. Not sure if it was a normal schedule change or if they are reducing capacity

benfro6 Mar 10, 2020 12:18 pm

I’ll be most curious to see how this impacts the schedule extension being released later this week.

spongenotbob Mar 10, 2020 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by benfro6 (Post 32165415)
I’ll be most curious to see how this impacts the schedule extension being released later this week.

Agreed. I expect to see some close-in cancellations (much like DL, UA, AA) so this may be an interesting rollout.

Mike Rivers Mar 10, 2020 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99 (Post 32152759)

So how do you "reprice" a fare? Are we talking just about Southwest here, where you can cancel a flight, put the money in the Southwest bank, book the same flight at a lower price, and leave the balance in the bank for another flight?

Looks like a couple of other airlines are waiving change fees and giving full refunds for cancellation during the "year of the virus" but I haven't sorted out all the fine print yet. Might be a good opportunity to book some "might take it" flights now for later in the year. I'll look in other airline forums for discussion, so don't pollute the Southwest forum with a detailed reply about United, Alaska, etc..

nsx Mar 10, 2020 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Mike Rivers (Post 32166487)
So how do you "reprice" a fare?

https://www.southwest.com/air/change/index.html

Doing it that way preserves the record locator and any associated payment for Early Bird Check In.

mmthomas44 Mar 10, 2020 5:14 pm

My Orlando flights in two weeks have not dropped. Disney is still open.

vike16 Mar 10, 2020 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by mmthomas44 (Post 32166619)
My Orlando flights in two weeks have not dropped. Disney is still open.

Business travel is being affected big-time. Leisure travel, especially to DIsney, not so much. I expect all the people who are flying to Florida and Arizona and other warm weather places are still going.

BTW, I was able to reprice some of my weekday flights this summer.

I'm wondering how Southwest will handle the rollout tomorrow as they don't really need the extra Max planes now until demand goes back to normal.

MichaelKade Mar 11, 2020 6:22 am

Looks like prices have dropped again for flights in the next couple of weeks.

Also June/July are reasonable now.

Rd3 Mar 11, 2020 8:07 am

I've gotten points back twice over the last week repricing my RT BWI-LAS trip Memorial Day weekend using RR points--got almost 6,000 points back total-so if you checked a week ago check again, even if you got $$ or RR back

Bohemiana Mar 11, 2020 5:16 pm

I got points back for our July trip PHX-LIH--5k points. Also, I switched flights on AA award travel MAD-PHX and got a much better flight plus saved more than $200 in taxes.

Jerseyguy Mar 11, 2020 9:22 pm

I just told my sister in law of a $120 credit she can get for her AUS-LAS trip July 14th thru 19th was $340RT now $220RT. Mostly the AUS-LAS flight.

jerryfreak Mar 12, 2020 3:47 am

damn! i just saved 20K points... thanks