Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SWA.... you failed here!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2019, 6:01 pm
Formerly known as billinaz
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
SWA.... you failed here!

https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/...VgiLqEGMZa9zjY

“We don’t recognize your little ‘law enforcement media’ thing here in Chicago,” he said. “You can complain to your little cop buddies. But in the meantime, I’m the boss and what I say goes.”

Old Nov 16, 2019, 6:32 pm

SWA succeeded here. The waivers go to "a representative of a network or local television broadcasting company or a commercial filmmaking company." Attention seekers "wearing an LE hat and a hoodie designed by Proud Pig, a company run by retired NYPD officers" can go pound sand.

Anyone can order Vistaprint cards for "The First Church of the Gooey Death & Discount House of Worship" but it doesn't get you 501(c)(3) property tax exemption.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
So - what they are saying is I can print up some business cards and shirts and no longer have to pay attention to weight limits?
Old Nov 16, 2019, 7:38 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
They qualify as "commercial filmmaking company".

I use the Media Luggage rates all the time and WN is as inconsistent as they come in application and understanding of their own rules. Some Ticket Agents will argue that you need to be credentialed only by a major broadcast network even when confronted with the wording of their own rules, others a business card of some sort of media or videography company will pass.

Have gone through several supervisors to get past power trippin TA's when checking in because I know their rules better then they do.

A "Media Pass" is NOT a perquisite to use the media luggage allowance per WN corporate when we inquired about the requirements.

Last edited by PAX62; Nov 16, 2019 at 7:44 pm
Old Nov 16, 2019, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by PAX62
They qualify as "commercial filmmaking company".
Then any social media advocacy group can claim to be a commercial filmmaking company? A "team doing 100 flights with Southwest this year – with media bags on every trip" needs to call ahead.

And avoid typecasting of SWA employees when airing grievances.

You is gonna have to pay for them overweight bags,” she told me. “Yeah? What “media” do you think you wit?” she asked. “That ain’t no media I ever heard of,” she said. “So you gotta pay.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 8:30 pm

Sounds like an unfortunate clash between Southwest's notorious inconsistent policy application and dykwia.

My late partner was a LEO and I have friends and family members who are first responders. The guy making the complaint looks like he was asking for a fight. Stuff happens. Take it to corporate, they likely would have reversed the fees. But he has to put it on blast, and position it as an insult to all cops everywhere. With enough dog whistles to telegraph his real message to his supporters.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 9:29 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Originally Posted by LegalTender
A "team doing 100 flights with Southwest this year – with media bags on every trip" needs to call ahead.
Calling ahead is not a requirement outlined in their terms of service to utilize they Media Rate.

I did a lot of research and talked top corporate as we are indirectly in the "Media" business traveling with film and AV equipment but not a broadcaster to better understand the rules and I can assure you...social bias aside, the blogger's experience is NOT unique and the Agent's ignorance of application of their own rules is VERY commonplace system wide when it is not cut and dry like a CNN film crew with credentials (what are all made up anyway).

American Arlines however you get approved in advance there there is note attached to your Frequent Flier account that allows you to use the Media Rate if not a credentialed major network. WN is up to luck of the draw with an ignorant Agent or not and how they want to interpret their own rules.
ursine1 likes this.

Last edited by PAX62; Nov 16, 2019 at 9:47 pm
Old Nov 17, 2019, 12:10 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
The author of that article sounds incredibly self important. Maybe WN should give him a companion pass because he interviewed some survivors of first responders.

I don't see a failure with Southwest here at all.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 12:38 am

Mad I gave them a click - that was a poorly written article on what I would definitely consider a blog. I am not familiar with the WN media rate/policy, but the author definitely seems like he has an axe to grind.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 6:46 am

While technically not in the rules any respectful media organization would do their best to call the airline or airport in advance to make them aware of this, or have an email. You should always make arrangements for special circumstances. It’s just the right thing to do.

I didn’t watch the video I’d click the link. It’s click bait.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by LegalTender
Anyone can order Vistaprint cards for "The First Church of the Gooey Death & Discount House of Worship"...
... right here in Del Rio, Texas. Some will not catch the reference, but I am old enough, and congratulate you.
LegalTender likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 11:24 am

The way the article's author typecast the WN employee via the quotes in the article makes perfect sense after seeing his picture.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 1:50 pm

The author of that garbage is clearly deficient in multiple ways...best just to ignore.
MichaelBaku and nancypants like this.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Not surprised by the attitude of the TAs, but pay the fee and take it up with customer service later.
nancypants and FLTripper like this.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 4:00 pm

I was totally lost with the typecasting and statements in quotes, those comments reduced any credibility on his credentials and professionalism in my mind. I bet there was some bias on the part of SWA employees with the attire and obvious political leanings that may have escalated the desire to charge extra for the baggage.
kitakizmo and nancypants like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.