Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

A big advantage of reward redemption Vs Revenue tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2019, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

I am a very infrequent flyer on SW. I have no elite status and never did. My recollection is that prior when redeeming points, the flight cpould be cancelled by me ( prior to departure) and simply redeposited back into my Rapid rewards account.

Is this still the rule. No penalty, , no catch and full flexiability on redepositing points from cancelled flighrs?

If so the 35% bonus does not look like that bad a deal.
( of course its their ballpark and they can unilaterally change the rules at any time)

Interesting purchase is 60,000 points per day .
Does not seem to be a limit on even non-elite purchases.

Is the program stable. Do others see a devaluation coming?

Thank you for your time and patience
Old Nov 14, 2019, 10:29 pm

What?
Old Nov 14, 2019, 11:31 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by writetorich
I am a very infrequent flyer on SW. I have no elite status and never did. My recollection is that prior when redeeming points, the flight cpould be cancelled by me ( prior to departure) and simply redeposited back into my Rapid rewards account. Is this still the rule. No penalty, , no catch and full flexiability on redepositing points from cancelled flighrs? If so the 35% bonus does not look like that bad a deal.
You are correct, when you cancel a reward ticket on WN, the RR points go back to your account with no fees. They are worth around 1.4¢ per point. Who knows if there will be a devaluation, but its unlikely since the points required for a ticket are closely tied to the cash price. The flexibility of making changes or cancellations without penalty definitely adds value.
Visconti likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by Tanic
The flexibility of making changes or cancellations without penalty definitely adds value.
Right. I have a stash of points I use to book hedge flights when necessary. It's much more efficient than using a CC.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 5:52 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
.You are correct, but remember that the $5.60 tax that you pay with a credit card ( you cannot pay that with points ) will only come back as travel funds good for 1 year from the date of purchase.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by lougord99
.You are correct, but remember that the $5.60 tax that you pay with a credit card ( you cannot pay that with points ) will only come back as travel funds good for 1 year from the date of purchase.
You get a choice of Refund to Credit Card or Hold for Future Use for the $5.60

And technically, you don't even need to cancel the flight; no-show on points gets the points automatically redeposited to your account
ursine1, flyer4512 and sdsearch like this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I always have the $5.60 refunded to my credit card - not to travel funds.

Though WN currently will cancel and refund points for you - not cancelling yourself is totally wrong. By not cancelling, WN can not sell that flight, and they keep expecting the flyer to show up.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by lougord99

This is incorrect. I get the $5.60 refunded to my credit card all the time. No need for travel funds.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 8:27 am

Back to the OP's point -- this is why the value of a RR point is difficult to quantify. While 1.4 cents is a good approximation of the value one gets by simply looking at the money being saved over purchasing the ticket with a credit card, I think the real value is a fair amount higher because it permits me to make reservations that I'm not sure I'm going to use and then simply cancel when I make a final decision even if that's at the very last minute. There's no other airline that does this that I'm aware of, and I use this flexibility frequently.
DoB840 likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by zachary
Back to the OP's point -- this is why the value of a RR point is difficult to quantify. While 1.4 cents is a good approximation of the value one gets by simply looking at the money being saved over purchasing the ticket with a credit card, I think the real value is a fair amount higher because it permits me to make reservations that I'm not sure I'm going to use and then simply cancel when I make a final decision even if that's at the very last minute. There's no other airline that does this that I'm aware of, and I use this flexibility frequently.
Cancelling a BA Avios ticket is close. 24+ hours out all you lose is the $5.60 fee.

Which is why almost all my points/miles bookings are on WN or BA. Highly underrated benefit IMO for people w/o status especially.

The frequent 40% bonus transferring Amex MR to Avios helps also.
Firewind and DoB840 like this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by zachary
... it permits me to make reservations that I'm not sure I'm going to use and then simply cancel when I make a final decision even if that's at the very last minute..... I use this flexibility frequently.
This indeed. I only pay actual money for flights which I know I'm not going to cancel no matter what.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 10:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you fly WN a lot, whether the refund is to your CC or RR account is immaterial. Not so if you rarely fly WN and are simply borrowing money on your CC to keep a balance on RR.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by Often1
If you fly WN a lot, whether the refund is to your CC or RR account is immaterial. Not so if you rarely fly WN and are simply borrowing money on your CC to keep a balance on RR.
Borrowing money?
Keeping a balance?

I am confused.
DoB840 likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Is 35% good historically , or have better bonuses been offered

I think the the bonus are not offer with high frequency cause I tend to look periodicly , I am concerned about a devaluation because there seems to be no limit on points purchased , even for non elite.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic
You are correct, when you cancel a reward ticket on WN, the RR points go back to your account with no fees. They are worth around 1.4¢ per point. Who knows if there will be a devaluation, but its unlikely since the points required for a ticket are closely tied to the cash price. The flexibility of making changes or cancellations without penalty definitely adds value.
Southwest has made (I believe) three devaluations now since points first started being closely tied to the cash price.

It seems the OP is really asking about the advisability of buying points. Even with the 35% bonus offer, you're still paying more for points than their value. Full refundability has a value, but only the OP can know if it's worth it to them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.