FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   A big advantage of reward redemption Vs Revenue tickets (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1995523-big-advantage-reward-redemption-vs-revenue-tickets.html)

writetorich Nov 14, 2019 9:07 pm

A big advantage of reward redemption Vs Revenue tickets

I am a very infrequent flyer on SW. I have no elite status and never did. My recollection is that prior when redeeming points, the flight cpould be cancelled by me ( prior to departure) and simply redeposited back into my Rapid rewards account.

Is this still the rule. No penalty, , no catch and full flexiability on redepositing points from cancelled flighrs?

If so the 35% bonus does not look like that bad a deal.
( of course its their ballpark and they can unilaterally change the rules at any time)

Interesting purchase is 60,000 points per day .
Does not seem to be a limit on even non-elite purchases.

Is the program stable. Do others see a devaluation coming?

Thank you for your time and patience

camaross Nov 14, 2019 10:29 pm

What?

Tanic Nov 14, 2019 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by writetorich (Post 31738545)
I am a very infrequent flyer on SW. I have no elite status and never did. My recollection is that prior when redeeming points, the flight cpould be cancelled by me ( prior to departure) and simply redeposited back into my Rapid rewards account. Is this still the rule. No penalty, , no catch and full flexiability on redepositing points from cancelled flighrs? If so the 35% bonus does not look like that bad a deal.

You are correct, when you cancel a reward ticket on WN, the RR points go back to your account with no fees. They are worth around 1.4¢ per point. Who knows if there will be a devaluation, but its unlikely since the points required for a ticket are closely tied to the cash price. The flexibility of making changes or cancellations without penalty definitely adds value.

Visconti Nov 15, 2019 12:17 am

Originally Posted by Tanic (Post 31738831)
The flexibility of making changes or cancellations without penalty definitely adds value.

Right. I have a stash of points I use to book hedge flights when necessary. It's much more efficient than using a CC.

lougord99 Nov 15, 2019 5:52 am

.You are correct, but remember that the $5.60 tax that you pay with a credit card ( you cannot pay that with points ) will only come back as travel funds good for 1 year from the date of purchase.

dmbolp Nov 15, 2019 6:06 am

Originally Posted by lougord99 (Post 31739387)
.You are correct, but remember that the $5.60 tax that you pay with a credit card ( you cannot pay that with points ) will only come back as travel funds good for 1 year from the date of purchase.

You get a choice of Refund to Credit Card or Hold for Future Use for the $5.60

And technically, you don't even need to cancel the flight; no-show on points gets the points automatically redeposited to your account

NoStressHere Nov 15, 2019 7:39 am

I always have the $5.60 refunded to my credit card - not to travel funds.

Though WN currently will cancel and refund points for you - not cancelling yourself is totally wrong. By not cancelling, WN can not sell that flight, and they keep expecting the flyer to show up.

shadow520 Nov 15, 2019 7:51 am

Originally Posted by lougord99 (Post 31739387)

This is incorrect. I get the $5.60 refunded to my credit card all the time. No need for travel funds.

zachary Nov 15, 2019 8:27 am

Back to the OP's point -- this is why the value of a RR point is difficult to quantify. While 1.4 cents is a good approximation of the value one gets by simply looking at the money being saved over purchasing the ticket with a credit card, I think the real value is a fair amount higher because it permits me to make reservations that I'm not sure I'm going to use and then simply cancel when I make a final decision even if that's at the very last minute. There's no other airline that does this that I'm aware of, and I use this flexibility frequently.

toomanybooks Nov 15, 2019 10:20 am

Originally Posted by zachary (Post 31739836)
Back to the OP's point -- this is why the value of a RR point is difficult to quantify. While 1.4 cents is a good approximation of the value one gets by simply looking at the money being saved over purchasing the ticket with a credit card, I think the real value is a fair amount higher because it permits me to make reservations that I'm not sure I'm going to use and then simply cancel when I make a final decision even if that's at the very last minute. There's no other airline that does this that I'm aware of, and I use this flexibility frequently.

Cancelling a BA Avios ticket is close. 24+ hours out all you lose is the $5.60 fee.

Which is why almost all my points/miles bookings are on WN or BA. Highly underrated benefit IMO for people w/o status especially.

The frequent 40% bonus transferring Amex MR to Avios helps also.

Peoriaman1 Nov 15, 2019 10:46 am

Originally Posted by zachary (Post 31739836)
... it permits me to make reservations that I'm not sure I'm going to use and then simply cancel when I make a final decision even if that's at the very last minute..... I use this flexibility frequently.

This indeed. I only pay actual money for flights which I know I'm not going to cancel no matter what.

Often1 Nov 15, 2019 10:59 am

If you fly WN a lot, whether the refund is to your CC or RR account is immaterial. Not so if you rarely fly WN and are simply borrowing money on your CC to keep a balance on RR.

NoStressHere Nov 15, 2019 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 31740414)
If you fly WN a lot, whether the refund is to your CC or RR account is immaterial. Not so if you rarely fly WN and are simply borrowing money on your CC to keep a balance on RR.

Borrowing money?
Keeping a balance?

I am confused.

writetorich Nov 15, 2019 2:28 pm

Is 35% good historically , or have better bonuses been offered

I think the the bonus are not offer with high frequency cause I tend to look periodicly , I am concerned about a devaluation because there seems to be no limit on points purchased , even for non elite.

ursine1 Nov 15, 2019 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic (Post 31738831)
You are correct, when you cancel a reward ticket on WN, the RR points go back to your account with no fees. They are worth around 1.4¢ per point. Who knows if there will be a devaluation, but its unlikely since the points required for a ticket are closely tied to the cash price. The flexibility of making changes or cancellations without penalty definitely adds value.

Southwest has made (I believe) three devaluations now since points first started being closely tied to the cash price. ;)

It seems the OP is really asking about the advisability of buying points. Even with the 35% bonus offer, you're still paying more for points than their value. Full refundability has a value, but only the OP can know if it's worth it to them.