Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

First time Southwest flyer and LAX/ LAS airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First time Southwest flyer and LAX/ LAS airport

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Originally Posted by 1P
Not so. You won't get any decent seat at al if you don't do online check-in precisely 24 hours in advance. And even then, you may find the whole of group A and half of group B have beat you to it. (Never understand how this happens)
He mentioned he had early bird.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by 1P
Not so. You won't get any decent seat at al if you don't do online check-in precisely 24 hours in advance. And even then, you may find the whole of group A and half of group B have beat you to it. (Never understand how this happens)
You can be the very FIRST person at T-24 and still get a C seat. How? Easy? If 100+ people bought EBCI, they got the A and B seats.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by djp98374
It depends on when...

unlike other carriers WN has a lot of continuous service where PAX stay on the plane.

Since WN is open seattling these continuing on PAX get firs dibs at front seats. they arent supposed to take exit row seats with more leg room but crew to crew vary in this enforcement....
Two things.

1 - I have been on planes with DL more than once where we stayed on the plane. Might not be common, but it has happened.

2 - I have never heard of through passengers on WN not being able to take exit row. When or why would that be an issue?
Old Oct 30, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by smmrfld
This is incorrect. Thrus are free to take any seat they wish, subject to restrictions such as age, disability, etc.
I have seen it vary from flight to flight where an attendant isnt allowing thru PAX to take these seats
Old Oct 30, 2019, 3:18 pm

From what I've read on other websites:

EBCI (Early Bird Check In) will check you in 36 hours before your flight, so you don't have to remember to check in at that crucial 24 hour mark. it does not guarantee an A or B position, just a early check in.

Boarding positions algorithm:

1. A1-A15 are for Business Select fares purchased or Upgraded Boarding purchased (at the gate, and subject to availability).
2. A List Preferred
3. A List
4. Anytime Fares with EBCI, in the order the EBCI was purchased (A/B usually)
5. Wanna Get Away Fares with EBCI, in the order EBCI was purchased (A/B usually)
6. Companion Pass, Anytime and WGA Fares without EBCI, determined by the checkin point in the 24 hours prior to flight. (B/C usually)

In addition, there is a Family Boarding segment, between A and B. Some GAs keep it to the rule of children under the age of 6 with 2 adults; some GAs just let families of 10 board with 1 child age 12. YMMV

And I've had my boarding position change between check in and printing my boarding pass. Once, I had the boarding pass, and was called to the gate to get a new one, and I had dropped from my low A to a high B.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Two things.

1 - I have been on planes with DL more than once where we stayed on the plane. Might not be common, but it has happened.

2 - I have never heard of through passengers on WN not being able to take exit row. When or why would that be an issue?
I have actually been on same flight number aircraft on AA, DL, and UA and a factor in staying on or not is crew assignment. crew change you have to get off. If its pilot change but FA stay you might be able to say. If FA lleave and crew stays--no.

southwest has far more thru PAX than other airlines because they keep flight numbers for longer stretches because they dont move their crews. they are also one airlines, not main airline and suncontract carriers. With main line its mostly to and from hub cities.

I have seen first hand FA not allowing thru to take exit row seating on WN. Some have though. I am unsure of the policy in this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by FLTripper
From what I've read on other websites:

EBCI (Early Bird Check In) will check you in 36 hours before your flight, so you don't have to remember to check in at that crucial 24 hour mark. it does not guarantee an A or B position, just a early check in.

Boarding positions algorithm:

1. A1-A15 are for Business Select fares purchased or Upgraded Boarding purchased (at the gate, and subject to availability).
2. A List Preferred
3. A List
4. Anytime Fares with EBCI, in the order the EBCI was purchased (A/B usually)
5. Wanna Get Away Fares with EBCI, in the order EBCI was purchased (A/B usually)
6. Companion Pass, Anytime and WGA Fares without EBCI, determined by the checkin point in the 24 hours prior to flight. (B/C usually)

In addition, there is a Family Boarding segment, between A and B. Some GAs keep it to the rule of children under the age of 6 with 2 adults; some GAs just let families of 10 board with 1 child age 12. YMMV

And I've had my boarding position change between check in and printing my boarding pass. Once, I had the boarding pass, and was called to the gate to get a new one, and I had dropped from my low A to a high B.
You also can have windows open up where a PAX changes or cancels a flight say between 36 and 24 hr check in where spots could open up

Also its easy to claim disability with extra assustamce pre boarding. especially to PHX/Florida flights
Old Oct 30, 2019, 6:34 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Southwest often sells business boarding positions at the gate for +/- $40, if they are available. Many times when lining up there are less than 5 people in the A1-A15 area of the boarding line so there are usually are spots open if you're willing to pay. That being said, with EBCI I'd agree there's a 99.9% chance of a window seat... likely a good one. Something that can screw you a bit with Southwest is if you're jumping onto a multiple stop flight and there are passengers remaining on board during the stop. I recently paid the $40 flying out of Vegas (somehow, forgot to check-in... there was some alcohol involved) and thought I was the 8th person on the plane.... wrong! There were probably 15-20 people already on board.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 8:05 pm

If thru passengers can take exit row seats do the FAs know if a thru passenger was preboard?
Old Oct 31, 2019, 12:29 am

If the flight isn't too full take your window seat toward the aft and there's a decent chance you end up with an empty middle seat. Once the aisle/windows are gone (which the crew often announces), passengers naturally take the first available middle, leaving the seats in the rear empty.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 1P
This is not correct, unless your definition of “ decent” is exceedingly narrow. It’s like the Internet discussion of the WN “cattle call,” which ended in 2007 if it ever existed, yet people still cite it as a reason to fly a legacy. Some notions I guess will never die.

Online checkin without ECBI will likely get you mid-high A. If there are only a few decent seats on the plane (and especially if there are throughs), you won’t get one even if you are .000001 ms faster than the next guy.

In over twenty years of flying WN I have never once failed to get my preferred aisle seat. Never. Even when boarding C20.

I have had exit row aisle or infinite legroom at B35.

And I have never purchased EBCI, which reminds me of extended warranties sold at Best Buy.

“Yes, this is the best TV for your needs, an excellent choice in every way. And now, before leaving, you gotta purchase this extended warranty for when it breaks.”
joshua362 likes this.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Oct 31, 2019 at 6:42 am
Old Oct 31, 2019, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by djp98374
I have seen it vary from flight to flight where an attendant isnt allowing thru PAX to take these seats
I had it happen to me once years ago. FA told me those seats were reserved for early-boarding PAX on next leg. I suspect it was a holdover AirTran FA. I told her there was no such rule on WN and appealed to another FA and was properly allowed to move.

Not sure where this notion came from. WN does not have this rule.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I had it happen to me once years ago. FA told me those seats were reserved for early-boarding PAX on next leg. I suspect it was a holdover AirTran FA. I told her there was no such rule on WN and appealed to another FA and was properly allowed to move.

FA with a bit of a power trip. After all, maybe THAT passenger was an early board - and paid for it. No way the FA would know.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by toomanybooks

Same exactly thing happened here. She was quickly corrected.

Is it possible the multiple times made announcement for "thru passengers to remain in their seats until the count is complete" is misunderstood?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.