Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

First time Southwest flyer and LAX/ LAS airport

Old Oct 30, 19, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium

Hi All

Being London-based and hence Oneworld loyalist I will have my first Southwest flight next week as a) recently AA was too unfriendly to me and b) flight timings are better plus c) the Avgeek in me always wanted to try Southwest anyway.

Given that - please allow a few questions:

- how likely will I be to get a decent seat (window) with earlybird out of LAX on Sat morning and back Sat evening (last flight from LAS)?
- I think I have seen somewhere that it is rather easy to access the Centurion lounge at LAS and to come back to the Southwest gates (D gates)? Which terminal would be the best to pass security with TSA Pre to visit the lounge first and then to head to D gates? I will have plenty of time, assuming I won't get stuck somewhere on the strip after my meeting
- is there any lounge at the LAX terminal I can visit with Priority pass or my AMEX?

Many thanks for your replies
Daniel

Last edited by Duck1981; Oct 30, 19 at 8:37 am Reason: typo
Old Oct 30, 19, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Duck1981 View Post

- how likely will I be to get a decent seat (window) with earlybird out of LAX on Sat morning and back Sat evening (last flight from LAS)?
- I think I have seen somewhere that it is rather easy to access the Centurion lounge at LAS and to come back to the Southwest gates (D gates)? Which terminal would be the best to pass security with TSA Pre to visit the lounge first and then to head to D gates? I will have plenty of time, assuming I won't get stuck somewhere on the strip after my meeting
- 99.9% sure you'll get a decent window seat, likely in the first 10 rows
- Assuming you'll have to check in luggage, you'll need to head to Terminal 1 to check-in luggage. Then you can take the tram to D gates after security.
Old Oct 30, 19, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Troopers View Post
- Assuming you'll have to check in luggage, you'll need to head to Terminal 1 to check-in luggage. Then you can take the tram to D gates after security.
Thanks for your info. I'll be on hand luggage only, can I then access security at another terminal?
Old Oct 30, 19, 9:23 am

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Thanks for your info. I'll be on hand luggage only, can I then access security at another terminal?

RE: LAS

Yes, you can use either terminal. The main terminal would be the easiest. Take tram to D, and then the LEFT hand escalators after leaving the tram at D, up to the concourse. AMEX lounge is next to a spa type place.

When you return to the B or C gates, be careful you do NOT go downstairs after getting off the tram. There are lots of signs showing the way to avoid going back through security.

We do this on every trip.
Duck1981 and Pittie Pup like this.
Old Oct 30, 19, 9:32 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
I think I have seen somewhere that it is rather easy to access the Centurion lounge at LAS and to come back to the Southwest gates (D gates)? Which terminal would be the best to pass security with TSA Pre to visit the lounge first and then to head to D gates?
LAS terminals and gates are inter-connected airside. With no checked bags you can enter T3 security and take the short Red Line tram to the D gates where the Centurion Lounge is located. Later you will need to get to WN which is in T1, B and C gates. Take the Blue Line tram then transfer to the Green Line being careful as No Stress said, not to leave the secure area. There is a small passage connecting the tram areas.
Duck1981 likes this.
Old Oct 30, 19, 9:46 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
No Amex Priority Pass options for arrival at LAX Terminal 1.
Duck1981 likes this.
Old Oct 30, 19, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tanic View Post
LAS terminals and gates are inter-connected airside. With no checked bags you can enter T3 security and take the short Red Line tram to the D gates where the Centurion Lounge is located. Later you will need to get to WN which is in T1, B and C gates. Take the Blue Line tram then transfer to the Green Line being careful as No Stress said, not to leave the secure area. There is a small passage connecting the tram areas.
Thanks for the details - how much time will I need (approx) from the Concierge lounge to the Southwest gates, assuming I manage not to leave the security area?
Old Oct 30, 19, 10:25 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Thanks for the details - how much time will I need (approx) from the Concierge lounge to the Southwest gates, assuming I manage not to leave the security area?
I would allow 15 minutes to get to C gates, and perhaps an additional 10 minutes for B gates. If you draw a B gate don't take the Green Line, you will need to walk after exiting the Blue Line.

McCarran Airport Maps
Duck1981 likes this.
Old Oct 30, 19, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tanic View Post
I would allow 15 minutes to get to C gates, and perhaps an additional 10 minutes for B gates. If you draw a B gate don't take the Green Line, you will need to walk after exiting the Blue Line.

McCarran Airport Maps
Great - thank you!
Old Oct 30, 19, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for your replies - very helpful!
Old Oct 30, 19, 12:34 pm

Also a heads up for when you arrive back in LAX if you're a rideshare (uber/lyft) user. There is a new designated ride share pickup location next to Southwest T1 terminal.
Old Oct 30, 19, 12:49 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Originally Posted by ht2791 View Post
Also a heads up for when you arrive back in LAX if you're a rideshare (uber/lyft) user. There is a new designated ride share pickup location next to Southwest T1 terminal.
I recommend walking 4 minutes to Sepulveda Blvd at Century. You can catch a ride very quickly from there. It also works for departing LAX to avoid driving into the jammed-up airport loop.
Old Oct 30, 19, 2:12 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Hi All

Being London-based and hence Oneworld loyalist I will have my first Southwest flight next week as a) recently AA was too unfriendly to me and b) flight timings are better plus c) the Avgeek in me always wanted to try Southwest anyway.

Given that - please allow a few questions:

Many thanks for your replies
Daniel
It depends on when...

unlike other carriers WN has a lot of continuous service where PAX stay on the plane.

Since WN is open seattling these continuing on PAX get firs dibs at front seats. they arent supposed to take exit row seats with more leg room but crew to crew vary in this enforcement

with early bird from my experience you will likely get somewhere between A30 and low B numbers. It depends on the flight. rank order is based on fare class paid and airline status. more frequent fliers means farther down the pole. Bu low Bs you will have seat selection in terms of window or aisle. you may have 15-10 continuing travelers. some flights have 40+.

On the return the problem is Las Vegas is a hub for southwest where flights fly through so even with early bird you could be mid Bs or worse. another part of the sort process is originat9ing flight check in. So those who would need to check in forst get farther up. With your piece just starting from LAX you will have many connecting PAX getting ahead of you. This being a saturday night flight you may be saved by less travelers than if this was an earlier saturday flight or a sunday flight.
Old Oct 30, 19, 2:12 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.8MM 1K , DL PM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, BW Plat, Hertz #1 Gold PC, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Troopers View Post
- 99.9% sure you'll get a decent window seat, likely in the first 10 rows
Not so. You won't get any decent seat at al if you don't do online check-in precisely 24 hours in advance. And even then, you may find the whole of group A and half of group B have beat you to it. (Never understand how this happens)
Old Oct 30, 19, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by djp98374 View Post
Since WN is open seattling these continuing on PAX get firs dibs at front seats. they arent supposed to take exit row seats with more leg room but crew to crew vary in this enforcementt.
This is incorrect. Thrus are free to take any seat they wish, subject to restrictions such as age, disability, etc.
joshua362 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: