Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Additional taxes and fees on same-day standby?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Additional taxes and fees on same-day standby?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: LTP, PP
I'm thinking its just a notice allowing them to do/charge whatever in case of future regulatory events, whatever that may be, in case it becomes substantial. I doubt operationally they would like to hold up standby lines & processing by collecting nickels and dimes moments before push-back. Just my guess...
Old Oct 18, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: WN A-List
I speculate the additional costs is purely from additional 'US Flight Segment Tax' and 'US Passenger Facility Charge' if you add a segment and touch additional airports or your O/D airport change has different taxes on these.

My data point is when I removed a segment (changed from BUR-PHX-ELP to only LAX-ELP) and Southwest refunded me $8.70 from those two tax items. The fare and transportation tax (7.5%), and 9/11 fee stayed the same.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 11:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
FWIW, I've been able to go A-B-C to A-C and vice-versa on an A-List SB.
In that case, it's pretty simple. If Southwest regularly permits this, then they're just reserving the right to collect the extra $5.60 (or whatever it might be).

I just wasn't aware you could do it. Most of my WN itins are nonstop to begin with, and my standbys so far have just been for earlier nonstops.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by pinniped
... then they're just reserving the right to collect the extra $5.60 (or whatever it might be).
But had I booked that original A-B-C routing, isn't the 9/11 fee still 5.60?

Most of my WN itins are nonstop to begin with, and my standbys so far have just been for earlier nonstops.
Same- and while I think I may have taken advantage of CS goodwill (like something else you can potentially do, PM me) 99.9% of my SBs are like yours- but one time I was with a friend going A-B when I was going A-C and I found out their A-B went onto -C, so they let me get on that. On the reverse it was almost the same thing in reverse, as they ended up not being able to go.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped

Are there any countries/markets where the tax assessed on a flight is dependent upon how far in advance the ticket was booked or last changed?
I'm thinking there may be places where the taxes and fee might be based on when the ticket was issued. For example the fee is X for tickets issued before a specific date and Z for tickets issued after that date.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not all airports charge a PFC fee. This is simply a way for WN to collect this, if it wishes to, should it voluntarily reroute a nonstop to a connection or to a conenction with a PFC.

Very unlikely to amount to a hill of beans. But, it's the kind of stuff which leads to class actions when it's not spelled out correctly.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
I think folks are putting way to much brain cells into something that does not yet exist.
This is FlyerTalk. People obsessing over things that do not yet exist is par for the course here.
NoStressHere likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
When I did my 8-segment run a couple of weeks ago, I'd discovered that since I'd been able to A-List Standby for all but the first flight that they were indeed earning points at the Anytime rate, and the BPs did indeed show they were Anytime fares.
To be sure I understand:

1. You booked a bunch of $29 WGA fares
2. You took advantage of free SD-change on most of them
3. They were changed to Anytime
4. You got 10x RR points instead of 6x on the $29.

Correct? If so, interesting.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 8:53 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Correct?
... a part of me thinks I should keep my damn mouth shut on this, so I will simply reply that I cannot disagree.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 6:59 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Sometimes a change earns 10 points per dollar, but in my experience this happens much less than half the time. My low fares earn so few points that it hardly matters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.