Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

New 2019 Visa Offer: Quick Companion Pass + 30k points, NOT limited to California

New 2019 Visa Offer: Quick Companion Pass + 30k points, NOT limited to California

Old Jan 10, 19, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite

This morning, I saw this on the Southwest web site:
https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/southwest/PlusCP30AEP

It says you can get a "promotional" companion pass until 12/31/2019 by getting this card ($69 annual fee) and spending $4,000 in the first three months. You also get 30,000 bonus points. It says you can't be a current card holder and cannot have received the promotion in the last 24 months. Offer expires Feb 11.

So ... if you currently have a card, but haven't received promo in 24 months, could you close your card, wait a week or two, then apply (before Feb 11)? You wouldn't be a current card holder. Not as good as getting 2 cards and having CP last through 12/31/2020, but cheaper. And, if offered in 2020, the spouse/companion could do it and reverse who is paying and who is the named companion.
harold and Tanic like this.

Last edited by nsx; Jan 10, 19 at 9:03 am Reason: link abbreviated
Old Jan 10, 19, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FCfree View Post
This morning, I saw this on the Southwest web site:
https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/sou...LX&clk=2488062

It says you can get a "promotional" companion pass until 12/31/2019 by getting this card ($69 annual fee) and spending $4,000 in the first three months. You also get 30,000 bonus points. It says you can't be a current card holder and cannot have received the promotion in the last 24 months. Offer expires Feb 11.

So ... if you currently have a card, but haven't received promo in 24 months, could you close your card, wait a week or two, then apply (before Feb 11)? You wouldn't be a current card holder. Not as good as getting 2 cards and having CP last through 12/31/2020, but cheaper. And, if offered in 2020, the spouse/companion could do it and reverse who is paying and who is the named companion.
Wow, interesting. Thanks for posting.

Might soon be my son's second CC.
Old Jan 10, 19, 8:39 am

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Great promo for at least two groups of people.

1 - Those that messed up and did not get it, even after opening two cards. Disclaimer - they still can not do this offer, but the spouse could.

2 - Those that can not, or will not do the 2 card thing. This is way easier for novices.
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 19, 9:12 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
It's ironic that Southwest announced this killer deal the day after the 60k offers expired. Now it's obvious to all that those bloggers who pimped the expiring offers did not serve their readers well. When the bloggers get their commission-earning links they will pretend they never urged readers to jump on the earlier offers.

This offer will create challenges when Southwest announces service to Hawaii. Because of that I did not expect to see another instant Companion Pass offer. It must be all about thrashing Alaska Airlines.

By mid-year Southwest may have thoughts about restricting heavy use of the Companion Pass to and from Hawaii after 2019.
Exiled in Express likes this.
Old Jan 10, 19, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by nsx View Post
When the bloggers get their commission-earning links they will pretend they never urged readers to jump on the earlier offers.
This commission-earning arrangement is well-known?
Old Jan 10, 19, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
It's ironic that Southwest announced this killer deal the day after the 60k offers expired. Now it's obvious to all that those bloggers who pimped the expiring offers did not serve their readers well. When the bloggers get their commission-earning links they will pretend they never urged readers to jump on the earlier offers.

This offer will create challenges when Southwest announces service to Hawaii. Because of that I did not expect to see another instant Companion Pass offer. It must be all about thrashing Alaska Airlines.

By mid-year Southwest may have thoughts about restricting heavy use of the Companion Pass to and from Hawaii after 2019.
WN must have some serious internal data indicating that they have to offer cheap CPs for competitive reasons (no Europe/Asia/Canada, no meals, no F, etc.). And that combined with the money they make off the Chase co-branding/interchange fees puts the idea over the top.

That to me is the only way this makes sense. I don't see why a TON of people wouldn't jump on this.

Every wedding blogger with half a brain will be posting this incessantly. BOGO HONEYMOON! Wonder if this offer will be available through affiliate channels.
Old Jan 10, 19, 9:28 am

Programs: WN F9 UA AA IHG HH MR
This offer will create challenges when Southwest announces service to Hawaii. Because of that I did not expect to see another instant Companion Pass offer. It must be all about thrashing Alaska Airlines...By mid-year Southwest may have thoughts about restricting heavy use of the Companion Pass to and from Hawaii after 2019.
They may not have to. In the T&C of this offer, WN now refers to regular CP and "promotional CP". Perhaps the PCP will have HI restrictions.
Old Jan 10, 19, 10:03 am

Programs: WN A+, AA GLD, UA Silver, MR Titanium, Hilton Silver, Avis Preferred, Hertz 5*
I expect there to be no use limitations on this CP including Hawaii. Interesting offer that obviously requires a big spending rush to maximize value. Even when Hawaii eventually starts being sold, this allows the airline to sell a higher published fare rather than discount like other airlines are doing.

I sort of feel that this might be anticipating an economic slowdown to lessen any falling demand. I have said in many of these CP promotions that as long as there are empty seats remaining on any given flight, the CP use doesn't cost the airline much.

I haven't been on many recent flights where there are absolutely no seats left before standby are accommodated.

This also tells me that the California and Denver CP promotions didn't get a lot of heavy free seats use allowing them to give this promotion to everyone.
Old Jan 10, 19, 10:19 am

I'd like to make a killing (up to 50K, at least) by referring newbie friends to the Plus card, but when I go to my referral link, it has an offer of 40K RR points after a $1K spend in three months. Anybody find anything that allows current cardholders to refer friends to the new 30K + CP offer? With last year's CA resident only CP offer, I could get a 10K referral bonus.
Old Jan 10, 19, 10:35 am

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
As a mostly solo traveler I can only see this causing price distortion a la Kohl's. "Well, Southwest is $100 more than AA/UA/DL but the second ticket is free!"
ursine1 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 19, 11:12 am

Smells like a trap. CP is valid for ~9 months max.
flyer4512 and Critterlynn like this.
Old Jan 10, 19, 11:20 am

This will be a good deal for me. I missed the 2 card promotion. I can still get the companion pass and have an additional 30, 000 miles. I got instant approval. Glad I came here first. The email they sent me only had the companion pass not the additional milage. Score again Flyer Talk!
Old Jan 10, 19, 11:41 am

I'm looking for this too! I had the same 40K referral link and have been digging to see if I can find a way to refer the CP deal!
Old Jan 10, 19, 11:55 am

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
It's ironic that Southwest announced this killer deal the day after the 60k offers expired. Now it's obvious to all that those bloggers who pimped the expiring offers did not serve their readers well. When the bloggers get their commission-earning links they will pretend they never urged readers to jump on the earlier offers.....
I do not get this comment at all. The bloggers that were pushing the 60k deals were fine. How in the world would they know the CP deal would come out? Heck, I was pushing a family member to do the other offer before today. Was I stupid? Wrong? I sure am not pretending I did not try to push those other offers.
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 19, 11:58 am

Programs: WN F9 UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by NoStressHere View Post
The bloggers that were pushing the 60k deals were fine. How in the world would they know the CP deal would come out?
Now that this incredible offer is published, I find it interesting there is not a peep from any of the travel bloggers about it. Not even the one that pushes WN so hard.

Search this Thread