Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

CP requirement goes to 125K 1/1/20; points no longer expire

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CP requirement goes to 125K 1/1/20; points no longer expire

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2019, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by expert7700
To continue offering unlimited flights making a huge profit from credit card annual fees and interchange fees, we're increasing the points required to earn a Companion Pass from 110,000 to 125,000 beginning January 1, 2020

I wonder sometimes if Southwest's business interest really flying anymore, or just growing the credit card portfolio.. They keep inventing new products to justify higher residual annual fees. Then they made things worse by giving out a FREE Companion pass with one credit card signup recently.

I'm sure a very small % of CP earners do so from earning 110k butt-in-seat points, and a minuscule portion do so with 100 paid flights a year.
Just to be clear: Chase and Southwest are two different companies.

Southwest doesn't offer a credit card, has no credit card portfolio, and makes no money off of annual fees or interchange fees or interest charged. They don't set fees or interest rates, or approve individual applicants.

They are not a bank.

Chase does. Chase is a bank.

Southwest sells Rapid Rewards loyalty points to Chase. (And yes, makes a large amount of money doing so.)

Presumably, the threshold for CP earning is being raised (by Southwest) to increase the number of points sold to Chase and other partners, while also reducing the overall amount of CP holders, therefore reducing the amount of "free" flights redeemed.

A potential additional benefit would be additional paid fares sold to those seeking CP via points.

It is true that credit card partnerships are indeed a huge part of an air carriers' business these days. Ultimately, the most significant customer benefit is that they allow loyalty programs to be profitable, and therefore even exist at all.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by darrenpb
Going up to 125K for the companion pass is just enough to cross the threshold of being unattainable for me with the Southwest credit card, which is the one reason I use that card. Time to find another points card. Any ideas on the best one to switch to? I'm serious.
There is no other airline that is as generous as WN. Hands down, they have the best frequent flyer program. Good luck with your search.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: WN
Originally Posted by Iflymci
There is no other airline that is as generous as WN. Hands down, they have the best frequent flyer program. Good luck with your search.
Well, since I no longer have a points threshold to meet with the Southwest card if I am not going after the CP anymore, and since the Chase Sapphire card allows points transfers to the Southwest program as well as a dozen other programs, I would say my search has been successful.
nsx likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 6:58 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by ursine1
and makes no money off of annual fees or interchange fees.
I'm not sure about that. There was an article about United and Chase a couple of month ago (I believe it was the WSJ) and it stated United did get a percentage from every transaction. UA was unhappy because less people were using their card and more using the CSR.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
These changes should not surprise anybody. GK entered WN in the race to the bottom in his quest to become a "legacy carrier" 10 years ago. It's a race he intends to win IMO.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by Michael El
GK entered WN in the race to the bottom in his quest to become a "legacy carrier" 10 years ago.
Eh ... I've been flying WN since 2006 and been a top-level elite since RR 2.0; so far I've been happy with them (being in CA is a large part of this), and I actually fly the airline.

I just did a one-off flight on UA a couple of nights ago, and while some of this opinion comes from having to use SFO vs SJC, I doubt I'd like flying as much if UA were my go-to airline and would no doubt defer on some of the discretionary trips.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Critterlynn
Actually, Southwest is making our quite nicely. Having a companion fly for free cost very little so long as it's not a full flight. It's Chase that's losing out.
Giving away free flights is hardly a little cost.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 11:58 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Are you familiar with Alaska? Right now top tier elites there can bring in 16,000 miles on transcons from SFO at less than $300. Buy four of those and you have enough miles for a business class award to Australia (55,000).

Can you expand on why you think Southwest has the best frequent flyer program, particularly as it compares to Alaska? I'm curious of how you arrived at that conclusion.

Congratulations on your first post!
Old Oct 18, 2019, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Welcome to FT!

A year's worth of flying on UA got me 4 one-way business class tickets on LH from Western USA to Italy. Also 4 one-way tickets on a UA nonstop returning from CUN which are valued at $800 each.

My WN CP got my son a handful of flights last year that were valued at maybe $1000 if I paid cash instead. WN now flies to CUN but would charge me $600pp one-way during the holiday season (or points equivalent)

So I'd have to respectfully disagree.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Sorry - there is no such thing as "best frequent flyer program".

This could easily turn into a few hundred posts with WN getting thumbs up and few hundred with AA/DL/UA etc being better. Most of the arguments and stories are often useless as they apply to each person and their situation.

* Flights available where YOU fly - frequency and # of stops
* Cost of flights - sometimes an issue, sometimes not
* Status of each flyer.
* Ability to get or not get upgrades
* Cost to change - if even important.
* Luggage cost
* Wifi
* Irrops
* Ability to use miles/points earned
* Company rules/policy for those that book with or through their company
* Feel good stuff

I have been top level on DL for years, but now fly 90% on WN. Does not make WN better (or worse) than DL, but it works right now. Was also elite with other airlines during certain years.

The only thing that is 100% for sure. This statement can be applied to most airlines - but by different people.

The best airline is ________.
flyer4512 likes this.

Last edited by NoStressHere; Oct 18, 2019 at 1:04 pm
Old Oct 18, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by Super Mario
Giving away free flights is hardly a little cost.
It is when there are empty seats.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
WHS. 95% of my flying is up and down the CA coast and on my own dime; that makes WN best for me. Were I going somewhere else, lived somewhere else, or flying on OPM that would probably be different.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 1:14 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by tom911
Buy four of those and you have enough miles for a business class award to Australia (55,000).
I have plenty of Alaska miles. How can I find business class seats for 55k each way? I'm not seeing them.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Actually, Southwest is making our quite nicely. Having a companion fly for free cost very little so long as it's not a full flight. It's Chase that's losing out.

Not that simple.

The actual cost of that person is marginal - will give you that.

What if those two people were willing to pay for both seats, but now only pay for one?

As to Chase losing out - not sure how. It is WN that is not getting revenue for that seat.

Those signup points you get are a joint deal with WN and Chase. Chase offers many credit cards without that bonus of course.

As to flights not selling out - WN flies lots of planes that are sold out, so in those cases WN does not get revenue for that "little cost seat".
Old Oct 18, 2019, 1:17 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
It is when there are empty seats.
The airline estimates that it loses a significant fraction of the cash fare by giving you an empty seat. Not because someone else might have bought the seat, rather because YOU might have bought it.

This is EXACTLY the same reason that you value FF miles/points more than a cash rebate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.