Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

CP requirement goes to 125K 1/1/20; points no longer expire

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2019, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond

https://viewfromthewing.com/big-chan...ts-expiration/

“Effective January 1, 2020 the points required for Companion Pass will rise from 110,000 to 125,000.”

Some other changes, including no expiration of points. This is literally all I know. Assuming it’s true, of course they waited until the 80k offer for the Performance card expired yesterday. Shades of 2017.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Oct 17, 2019 at 5:41 am
Old Oct 17, 2019, 7:24 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Now I will have to tell the people I put onto this deal that they need to add a personal card to the business card. Fortunately they will all qualify. In one case the timing is close to 24 months from earning their last personal card bonus.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 8:41 am
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Earlier this morning while logged in at southwest.com, there was a notice reading:

The "Learn more >" link went back to the same page I was on with simply "?int=#?clk=3804032" appended to the URL.

ETA: More recently this morning, logging in to view upcoming flighs displayed just the usual blocks of color on that page, with no text loading at all. Unless it was problems with my Internet connection, that may have been related to them trying to fix the "Learn more >" issue.

[more to come...]

Last edited by ftnoob; Oct 17, 2019 at 1:43 pm Reason: 1) As noted; 2) Replace text with screenshot; imgur broke image; new link
Old Oct 17, 2019, 8:43 am
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

The language at https://www.southwest.com/rapidrewar...companion-pass has already been updated to read:
Starting January 1, 2020, simply fly 100 qualifying one-way flights or earn 125,000 qualifying points* in a calendar year to earn Companion Pass.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 9:13 am

That was very nice of them to announce this half a day after the signup bonuses went down.
toomanybooks likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: WN
Going up to 125K for the companion pass is just enough to cross the threshold of being unattainable for me with the Southwest credit card, which is the one reason I use that card. Time to find another points card. Any ideas on the best one to switch to? I'm serious.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 9:24 am

This will be my 3rd year of hitting CP but I always squeak in, usually in November. I know it's "only" 15K more but this may be the final straw that convinces me to just give it up and spread out my airline $ a bit wider. ORD, here I come.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by darrenpb
Going up to 125K for the companion pass is just enough to cross the threshold of being unattainable for me with the Southwest credit card, which is the one reason I use that card. Time to find another points card. Any ideas on the best one to switch to? I'm serious.
I use the SW card and Chase Sapphire Reserve. Time to move more $ to the latter.

Last edited by Flatlander MDW; Oct 17, 2019 at 9:30 am Reason: include quote
Old Oct 17, 2019, 9:35 am

Received an email from Southwest with the following wording-

We know how important it is to experience new places with family and friends, which is why we created the unparalleled benefit of Companion Pass2. To continue offering unlimited flights for Companions3 when flying with their Companion Pass holder, we're increasing the points required to earn a Companion Pass from 110,000 to 125,000 beginning January 1, 2020.

Don't worry, for those earning a Companion Pass through flights, you can still earn yours by flying 100 qualifying one-way flights. If you are currently working toward a Companion Pass through points, you can still earn it with 110,000 qualifying points through December 31, 2019. Your Companion Pass benefits will begin the day you earn it and continue through December 31, 2020.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 9:45 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Segment runs will become a thing in 2020.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by nsx
Segment runs will become a thing in 2020.
BISFTW!
tusphotog likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: WN
I don't think I will be flying a hundred flights in order to get a CP for half a dozen or so flights.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by mdword
Received an email from Southwest with the following wording-

We know how important it is to experience new places with family and friends, which is why we created the unparalleled benefit of Companion Pass2. To continue offering unlimited flights for Companions3 when flying with their Companion Pass holder, we're increasing the points required to earn a Companion Pass from 110,000 to 125,000 beginning January 1, 2020.

Don't worry, for those earning a Companion Pass through flights, you can still earn yours by flying 100 qualifying one-way flights. If you are currently working toward a Companion Pass through points, you can still earn it with 110,000 qualifying points through December 31, 2019. Your Companion Pass benefits will begin the day you earn it and continue through December 31, 2020.
Can you tell them you don't need the Companion Pass2 which gives you 3 Companions? Just 1 Companion is enough.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Can you tell them you don't need the Companion Pass2 which gives you 3 Companions? Just 1 Companion is enough.
?

You can only have one Companion.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by s0ssos

Took a minute to decode your question. Cool idea, but in a word...NO.

Those numbers are simply referencing footnotes at the bottom of the announcement (weblink and/or email). Nothing more.
Iflymci likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.