Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can you have both paper and mobile BP?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2019, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Can you have both paper and mobile BP?

I checked in online using Southwest's app, got a mobile BP and saved it to Google Pay. I looked it was there.
I'm always afraid of not having a working phone: lost, damaged, no battery. I went online using a desktop computer re-checked in and printed a BP. My mobile BP, saved in Google Pay is now missing. I know some airlines won't let you have both a paper and a mobile BP. Does WN have such a policy or is there a glitch with google pay.
I searched the wiki and couldn't find any reference.
Thanks.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: WN A-List
Originally Posted by lewisc
I checked in online using Southwest's app, got a mobile BP and saved it to Google Pay. I looked it was there.
I'm always afraid of not having a working phone: lost, damaged, no battery. I went online using a desktop computer re-checked in and printed a BP. My mobile BP, saved in Google Pay is now missing. I know some airlines won't let you have both a paper and a mobile BP. Does WN have such a policy or is there a glitch with google pay.
I searched the wiki and couldn't find any reference.
Thanks.
You can have both. It is unlikely Google Pay had any knowledge of your 'BP activity'. I am fairly certain the Southwest App can only push the boarding card to a wallet app and cannot 'pull' it back.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 3:24 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Yes you can. I often will get a mobile boarding pass (iOS), and print out a paper boarding pass at an airport kiosk. I've used either one to board, I don't think it makes a difference.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

BP Came back. It was a google issue.
Thanks for info. I thought I read one airline wont let you have both
Old Sep 16, 2019, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I doubt any "regular" airlines have a problem with that.

Most airports have a place to get a replacement boarding pass. Guessing they would allow it many times.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 5:18 pm

Pretty easy to screencap your BP and call it up. Static QR Codes can never be edited later. The code is valid as long as the reservation is active.

No app or WiFi needed. Go to your Image Gallery. Click on the Google Lens symbol and you will see the associated action/link pop up. On an iPhone, it's saved in the Photos cache.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by poximex
You can have both. It is unlikely Google Pay had any knowledge of your 'BP activity'. I am fairly certain the Southwest App can only push the boarding card to a wallet app and cannot 'pull' it back.
Southwest mobile boarding passes saved to iOS wallet or Google Pay now have the ability to reflect updates pushed by Southwest (gate changes, boarding position change, departure change, etc.). I'm not aware if they also have the ability to remove a pass, although they certainly have the ability to invalidate one (in the case of a screenshot, etc.)
Old Sep 16, 2019, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

An airline could void the previously issued QR/bar code and produce a replacement number when a reprinted BP is requested. I posted to basically ask if
WN was doing something like that. The answer is no. I thank the posters who responded.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by ursine1
Southwest mobile boarding passes saved to iOS wallet or Google Pay now have the ability to reflect updates pushed by Southwest (gate changes, boarding position change, departure change, etc.)
I noticed that, nice addition. I have TripIt Pro which also tracks, but I don't mind the belt-and-suspenders approach.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 11:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
An airline could void the previously issued QR/bar code and produce a replacement number when a reprinted BP is requested. I posted to basically ask if
WN was doing something like that. The answer is no. I thank the posters who responded.
A carrier could, but I do not know of any carrier which does this and I cannot think of a reason why a carrier would do so. Putting aside the app vs. paper issue, one could print 20 copies of a BP and hand 19 of them to friends as souvenirs. Only one passenger will be able to board with the e-ticket associated with the code.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.