Upgrade to A 1-15 Can I get a refund

Old Sep 14, 2019, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, WN, JB, Hilton Honors, Starwood
Upgrade to A 1-15 Can I get a refund

Hi,

I forgot to check in at 24 hours and now have C group 31-60. My hubby has the SWA CC that reimburses four upgrades a year. If there is an A spot available to upgrade to and I use the SWA credit card will they reimburse my husband for it? I know he gets it, but not sure if I do. I am not traveling with him, but am an authorized user.

Thank you

Mary Louise
Old Sep 14, 2019, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA LTP, UA, DL, HH, Marriott/SPG
Originally Posted by Mary Louise
Hi,

I forgot to check in at 24 hours and now have C group 31-60. My hubby has the SWA CC that reimburses four upgrades a year. If there is an A spot available to upgrade to and I use the SWA credit card will they reimburse my husband for it? I know he gets it, but not sure if I do. I am not traveling with him, but am an authorized user.

Thank you

Mary Louise
Yes. My spouse has the card. We used that CC a few months ago to bump me up from B to A-1-15. Had a tight connection and I wanted to make sure I got a seat close to the front. $$ credit posted as soon as the charge did.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Thank you That is good to know
Old Sep 16, 2019, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
The answer is PARTIALLY correct. Yes, you can use his Credit Card for the upgrade.

BUT - he has to be there to present the card. Does not matter if he is flying, but HE must use HIS card.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

I did not end up upgrading. But for the future can you please confirm that he actually has to be there? I was flying without him, but was planning on using his credit card, as I am an authorized user.

Thank you

ML
Old Sep 16, 2019, 3:33 pm

Hi,

I did not end up upgrading. But for the future can you please confirm that he actually has to be there? I was flying without him, but was planning on using his credit card, as I am an authorized user.

Thank you

ML
If you are an AU, shouldn't you have a card in your own name?
Old Sep 16, 2019, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Yes I do
Old Sep 16, 2019, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Hi,

Thank you

ML
I tried once, and they required her to be there.
When I actually did it a second time - the gate agent asked if she was her - and did look at her ID.

As to an authorized user - you should have a card with your name on it? Right.

Otherwise - I am not sure if you are truly an AU.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 6:44 am

I am an AU on my wife's WN card that has this feature (so I have a card with my name on it). On a trip earlier this year when we were both traveling, during a layover (the second leg was the longest and the better use of the upgrade) I upgraded HER BP (and not mine) with MY card and we got the credit. I believe this is the DP the OP is looking for. In fact, I think we've done this exact thing twice. But I know of once for certain.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Side note.

On some recent flights, I have noticed quite a few more people in the A1-A15 group than in the past. Guessing there are more folks taking advantage of this perk.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 2:19 pm

The credit card used for the upgrade just has to be from a Priority account (with unused Upgraded Boarding credits available), it doesn't matter whose card it is and/or who the traveler is. Whether or not the agent cares if the card owner is there and/or even looks at the name is up to chance.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Quick quasi-thread hijack: if I purchase an upgrade to A1-15 at the gate and bought Early Bird (got us B-23 and B24, yay), will the Early Bird fee be refunded?

Thanks
Old Sep 18, 2019, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pokeable
Quick quasi-thread hijack: if I purchase an upgrade to A1-15 at the gate and bought Early Bird (got us B-23 and B24, yay), will the Early Bird fee be refunded?

Thanks
I highly doubt it. EB seems to be a one time deal. (I have no facts, but...)
Old Sep 18, 2019, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by pokeable

Thanks
No. EBCI is non-refundable, unless Southwest cancels the flight.
pokeable likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ursine1
No. EBCI is non-refundable, unless Southwest cancels the flight.
Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.