Search

Why would standby priority change?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2019, 5:23 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Why would standby priority change?

Today I was number 1 on the standby list on the app. About 20 minutes before boarding the former number 3 on the list was cleared. (I have screenshots showing this, so it's not my imagination.) 30 minutes later I was cleared at the normal time with several other standby customers.

What could have caused this? Federal Air Marshal? Jumpseater?
Old Jun 7, 2019, 5:41 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Deleted...misread you scenario.

Last edited by PAX62; Jun 7, 2019 at 5:47 pm
Old Jun 7, 2019, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Today I was number 1 on the standby list on the app. About 20 minutes before boarding the former number 3 on the list was cleared. (I have screenshots showing this, so it's not my imagination.) 30 minutes later I was cleared at the normal time with several other standby customers.

My guess would be an employee that would agree to taking the jumpseat. They clear and board before others. Do FAM fly standby?
Old Jun 7, 2019, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I have no idea of how WN does their standby list. I would assume someone that is standing by for their own reasons could get bumped by someone that WN messed up and has to get another passenger out as soon as possible. Just my guess.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by nsx

Do you have status? If AList/AListP lists standby they will bump non tier passenger.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:17 pm

There are at least eight standby categories. Stuff happens.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by PlaneJane1

Do you have status? If AList/AListP lists standby they will bump non tier passenger.
Look at the identifying info in his post...your question is answered there.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 10:21 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by PlaneJane1
Yes I have status but that's not relevant to a CHANGE in priority. The relative priority should be set by the computer at the time the second person joins the list. There's no reason for it to change after that. That's why I'm puzzled.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by NextTrip
My guess would be an employee that would agree to taking the jumpseat. They clear and board before others. Do FAM fly standby?
I second this. When an employee takes the jumpseat, they are first listed and will appear on the standby list. When they are cleared into a jumpseat they show up on the cleared list even though it's not for a cabin seat.

SM Disclaimer: These are my thoughts/opinions, not necessarily those of SWA.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 12:51 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
I don't fully recall, but do IRROPS passengers get higher priority than A List folks? (I seem to remember threads several years ago with different levels of standby priority people based on IRROPS, status, etc, but can't find the thread - it's possible that I might be thinking of another subforum though)
Old Jun 8, 2019, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by ryw
I don't fully recall, but do IRROPS passengers get higher priority than A List folks? (I seem to remember threads several years ago with different levels of standby priority people based on IRROPS, status, etc, but can't find the thread - it's possible that I might be thinking of another subforum though)
My understanding is that they do*.

ETA *but that that they would be added such that they'd be higher on the list than A+/A list pax on the list before clearing.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 9:31 am
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by fiuchris
I second this. When an employee takes the jumpseat, they are first listed and will appear on the standby list. When they are cleared into a jumpseat they show up on the cleared list even though it's not for a cabin seat.
Thanks. This is consistent with the fact that he or she cleared long before the normal T-10 and that the FA called for the jumpseater to move to the cockpit.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by smmrfld

Look at the identifying info in his post...your question is answered there.
As an FYI, that information is not readily available when viewing through the mobile browser.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
I was third on the list in ABQ one day. Someone showed up higher on the list moving me to #4 and I noticed #8 cleared, but I did not make it on the flight. I contacted CS and was told the #8 person was likely someone who had missed an earlier connection which gave them priority over A Listers and the reason they were #8 and not #1 on the list is a software glitch.
nsx likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: SW Comp Pass, Lft Gold AA, Lft DIA HHONORS, National Exec Elite
They could have also been on standby and then decided to actually buy the seat if the flight wasn’t already fully booked. They won’t clear standby until close to boarding sometimes even when they have seats. I’m not sure if there is an internal -t board that they are supposed to follow

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.