Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WN Cancellations Under Control?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyerTalkUserName
The planes slated to operate the 7:35PM and 8:25PM flights were already sitting at the gate at BWI. No delays posted, then bam, cancellations. Then the 9:45PM BWI-TPA flight operated without a hitch. The arrivals board at TPA was a mess when we landed, but it sure seemed like there was more at play than just weather.
There was lots of nasty weather around here yesterday evening (t-storms), particularly just north of TPA. ATC might have had some approach routes from the north closed off or severely restricted, leading to some flights being able to get through but others not.

In fact on the local news this morning one of the top stories was the flight disruptions due to yesterday's weather.

(I was trying to find a link to that but they apparently have taken it down. However while searching I came across this Florida Man story your enjoyment: Man with Cocaine Up His Nose Told Police It Wasn't His. )
Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerTalkUserName
The planes slated to operate the 7:35PM and 8:25PM flights were already sitting at the gate at BWI. No delays posted, then bam, cancellations. Then the 9:45PM BWI-TPA flight operated without a hitch. The arrivals board at TPA was a mess when we landed, but it sure seemed like there was more at play than just weather.

"Weather" can also mean things like the crew for those flights couldn't get there, because their flights were cancelled at an earlier connection.

On Southwest, "weather" can really mean just about anything.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:49 am

Only 6 cancellations on WN today, and only 4 yesterday?

https://flightaware.com/live/fleet/SWA/cancelled

What happened?
Old Jun 13, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: Flying Colonels, Go-Getters, WorldPass, Amerikat Expositors, Ephemeralizers
Something happened.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: Flying Colonels, Go-Getters, WorldPass, Amerikat Expositors, Ephemeralizers
7 today friday.

Congratulations, everyone at Southwest. Don't know how you did it. But you did it.
steved5480 and aquanine like this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:58 pm

No major weather events.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:31 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by seat7a.speedbird2.030828
Something happened.
The beginning of June is when WN officially cancelled a notable number of long haul flights to make up for the Max-8 grounding. In particular, in late April, I am aware PIT-LAS and PIT-LAX...among many other long hauls, were removed from the schedule from the first week of June onward. Before all of these long-haul flights were removed from the schedule at the beginning of June, I think it was simply an impossible task for WN to fly their April and May schedules with the # of aircraft that they had.

i.e....starting last week, it is simply organized pre-planned chaos now instead of unorganized.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by pgh234
The beginning of June is when WN officially cancelled a notable number of long haul flights to make up for the Max-8 grounding. In particular, in late April, I am aware PIT-LAS and PIT-LAX...among many other long hauls, were removed from the schedule from the first week of June onward. Before all of these long-haul flights were removed from the schedule at the beginning of June, I think it was simply an impossible task for WN to fly their April and May schedules with the # of aircraft that they had.

i.e....starting last week, it is simply organized pre-planned chaos now instead of unorganized.
I would totally agree that schedule movements now vs April/May have to be much better. They have learned, grown and figured out more ways to maximize their assets (planes and crew). And I bet at the same time, they have gotten much better at allowing free changes in flights by customers. In the "early" days of this, I think just about anyone could change flights at no charge even when not impacted by MAX8. Now I think they have gotten smarter.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 12:23 pm

Right now anyone can change flights at no charge even when not impacted by MAX8.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by ursine1
Right now anyone can change flights at no charge even when not impacted by MAX8.
Maybe. I have tried on a few June/July and August flights without luck. But to be honest, my alternate options were not that good anyways.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Maybe. I have tried on a few June/July and August flights without luck. But to be honest, my alternate options were not that good anyways.
Free changes for MAX8 flights

Southwest is currently allowing free changes to everyone, on all flights booked August 6 thru October 1 (officially they announced an end date of September 2), as part of the latest set of MAX cancellation reaccommodations.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ursine1
Free changes for MAX8 flights

Southwest is currently allowing free changes to everyone, on all flights booked August 6 thru October 1 (officially they announced an end date of September 2), as part of the latest set of MAX cancellation reaccommodations.
In reading the corporate announcement, they were referring directly to the MAX8.

Back a month or so ago, we were able to change planes/flights without paying a higher fare that did not DIRECTLY involve MAX8 equipment. In trying to do that with an August flight, it did not allow a change without paying more. Again, these were not MAX8 flights.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 12:03 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
In reading the corporate announcement, they were referring directly to the MAX8.

Back a month or so ago, we were able to change planes/flights without paying a higher fare that did not DIRECTLY involve MAX8 equipment. In trying to do that with an August flight, it did not allow a change without paying more. Again, these were not MAX8 flights.
ursine is correct. Your flight must have been August 5 or earlier.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nsx
ursine is correct. Your flight must have been August 5 or earlier.
Yep... it is all tied to the dates... did some more checking and made an adjustment to a mid August flight.

Thanks for correcting me!
Old Jun 16, 2019, 1:22 pm

Southwest's systems aren't capable of protecting flights based on plane type, so they open up changes to everyone, briefly, each time they pull the MAX back out of the existing schedule.

This will end soon.
NoStressHere likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.