Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Screwed myself out of A-List by booking with points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Screwed myself out of A-List by booking with points

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2019, 8:18 pm

25% point bonus?
Old May 21, 2019, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by joshua362
Buy a fully refundable AA ticket for that day?
Yea, you can do this. But not on a regular basis as something will get flagged eventually.

If a one time deal, it would work. We seem to flying at least 1-2 times a month lately. So maybe if there is one day with a long time at the airport...
Often1 likes this.

Last edited by NoStressHere; May 21, 2019 at 11:19 pm
Old May 21, 2019, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by lougord99
I have A-list and now that it makes no difference in checking bags or getting through security, I can't imagine why you would do a segment run just to get it. Checking in at T-24 will almost always get you a window or aisle, so I'm not sure what A-list does for you.
We are right on top of T-24 (one of us is A list, other is not).

Yes, a window or aisle is usually not an issue. But with A-list usually no higher that a-30 - the chances of getting those LUV seats is the big reason. We really love getting those.

(please, oh please do not start the goat rodeo about saving seats - that horse has been shot - LOL)
Old May 22, 2019, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
We are right on top of T-24 (one of us is A list, other is not).

Yes, a window or aisle is usually not an issue. But with A-list usually no higher that a-30 - the chances of getting those LUV seats is the big reason. We really love getting those.

(please, oh please do not start the goat rodeo about saving seats - that horse has been shot - LOL)
Seems like we are competing in nearly the exact same set of circumstances. My wife has A-list with companion pass (I am her companion), and I have no status. I check in at exactly T-24 and am usually 20 or so behind her, and she is definitely shooting for the LUV seat every single time. So long story short, I suggest you do NOT status run so that if we end up on the same flight, my wife gets the LUV seat
Old May 22, 2019, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nirvana91
Seems like we are competing in nearly the exact same set of circumstances. My wife has A-list with companion pass (I am her companion), and I have no status. I check in at exactly T-24 and am usually 20 or so behind her, and she is definitely shooting for the LUV seat every single time. So long story short, I suggest you do NOT status run so that if we end up on the same flight, my wife gets the LUV seat
Hmmm...let's race and see who gets those seats first!

On a recent flight with grandchildren, we needed two full rows so we passed those seats. Amazingly, the first person to sit there was close to A-60. I am often amazed how many walk past them.

As to being about 20 behind spouse... that is usually fine - UNLESS we slide to B1 or later since families then board. Not an issue with LUV seats, but it does make a difference. More than once I have snagged the LUV seats while earlier boarders are still trying to figure out where they want to sit.
Old May 22, 2019, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Hmmm...let's race and see who gets those seats first!

On a recent flight with grandchildren, we needed two full rows so we passed those seats. Amazingly, the first person to sit there was close to A-60. I am often amazed how many walk past them.

As to being about 20 behind spouse... that is usually fine - UNLESS we slide to B1 or later since families then board. Not an issue with LUV seats, but it does make a difference. More than once I have snagged the LUV seats while earlier boarders are still trying to figure out where they want to sit.
In all reality I would actually much prefer the exit row that has the extra legroom, since I am 6'3" and that extra legroom is awesome. The LUV seat is actually a little annoying to me since it doesn't recline, and doesn't have any extra legroom. My wife, however is only 5'1" and she very much prefers not having to sit next to a stranger, which I can sympathize with. We both agreed that if she can snag the LUV seats she'll do it... happy wife = happy life and all. She has agreed that if the LUV seats are already taken and the exit row aisle/middle is open with the extra legroom, she'll take that as a backup. Third place option is the infinity-legroom and middle of that row, otherwise we're just going aisle/middle toward the front of the plane so we can get off faster. So far this year in about 10 flights, we have gotten the LUV seats every time, including a bunch of 4+ hour flights where I was secretly hoping for the extra legroom instead

Not to derail the thread too much, but I find that an FA is often standing somewhere in the exit rows, and people are hesitant to ask them to move. I've gotten the infinity-legroom seat as late as B30 when traveling by myself since nobody wanted to ask the FA to move out of that row during boarding.
Old May 22, 2019, 8:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Tanic
I also use the AA lounge before WN flights. AA is even screwing their Lifetime AAdmirals members with this drastic change of T&Cs. It's nice that WN hasn't joined the race to the bottom.
What is the rule on unticketed access at WN lounges?:

While OT, but on a more serious note, something had to give. Not enough space at AC's generated a lot of complaints and, at many airports, there simply isn't more space to be had. It becomes a zero-sum game. Either up the fees until people start dropping out, eliminate guests, or boot the people who are not even spending on AA.
Old May 22, 2019, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
What is the rule on unticketed access at WN lounges?:...
Please list where there is a WN lounge..

spoiler alert - there aren't any that I have ever heard of
Old May 22, 2019, 2:20 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Often1
What is the rule on unticketed access at WN lounges?:

While OT, but on a more serious note, something had to give. Not enough space at AC's generated a lot of complaints and, at many airports, there simply isn't more space to be had. It becomes a zero-sum game. Either up the fees until people start dropping out, eliminate guests, or boot the people who are not even spending on AA.
AA and UA copied Delta on limiting club access. The reason is as you stated. However some people PAID MONEY for lifetime memberships, and no refunds are being offered. This change cheats those customers out of what they paid for. People who paid for a year (or paid for a club access credit card) have gotten approximately adequate notice. Delta did the right thing and quickly excluded its lifetime members from the upcoming access restrictions.

AA and UA, who normally copy everything DL does, have instead decided that screwing their paid lifetime members is a cool idea. This is one more example that promises of lifetime benefits are rarely a good deal for the buyer.
Old May 22, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by nsx
Delta did the right thing and quickly excluded its lifetime members from the upcoming access restrictions.
DL was heavily pressured by a coalition of unhappy paid lifetime members... and did the right thing. Parker - you're next!
Old May 22, 2019, 9:09 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by lougord99
... now that [having A-List] makes no difference in checking bags or getting through security ...
Explain? Is this a recent change?
Old May 23, 2019, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by joshua362
I've had the opposite problem in the past re-qualifying on TQP alone for AL+. Very helpful to book RT's that straddle year end to push all the points into the next year. Rare instance where RT's work in your favor!
Is this still the case? I thought I was being slick doing that this year... and only got TQP on my return leg. It was an International Flight (MX) if that makes a difference... was very sad as this year I'm looking a little behind in my points earnings.
Old May 23, 2019, 7:24 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by uclagee
Is this still the case? I thought I was being slick doing that this year... and only got TQP on my return leg. It was an International Flight (MX) if that makes a difference... was very sad as this year I'm looking a little behind in my points earnings.
I am sorry, I haven't done in a few years now but haven't read otherwise domestic or international. Did the outgoing TQP post in the previous year?
Old May 23, 2019, 7:34 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I know from experience that segment credits from the previous year do not carry into the year of the return half.
Old May 23, 2019, 7:12 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Explain? Is this a recent change?
Kiosks are almost always faster than the a-list line for checking bags and pre-check is almost always faster than any priority line for TSA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.