FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   Screwed myself out of A-List by booking with points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1970697-screwed-myself-out-list-booking-points.html)

NoStressHere May 21, 2019 7:51 am

Screwed myself out of A-List by booking with points

I have A-list this year due to status match. Based on my flying so far, I will be close to making it on trips this year. My best guess right now is that I might be slightly short - due to my not thinking. A few flights earlier this year were booked using points instead of cash. I had a few other future flights with points that I cancelled and rebooked with cash. We can make use of the points next year, so not a waste.

Now many out there have made this mistake?

joshua362 May 21, 2019 8:42 am

I've had the opposite problem in the past re-qualifying on TQP alone for AL+. Very helpful to book RT's that straddle year end to push all the points into the next year. Rare instance where RT's work in your favor!

nsx May 21, 2019 9:51 am

Next time you see $39 or even $49 fares book a segment run. A quick turnaround on $39 fares costs only $72.

sevcheckers28 May 21, 2019 11:26 am

You have 6 months left, that's plenty of time to find a fare sale and do status runs.

ryw May 21, 2019 11:51 am

Once I began flying about 25-30 flights per year, I've since decided to stick to cash bookings for the first 25 flights in a calendar year, and then wait to use points until after I've flown 25 flights. At least you know for next year!

I agree with others though, that there's plenty of time to catch some sales fares for status runs, and there should be several short flights from Nashville that could be viable. (I already see some $49 fares for BNA-ATL in August for example)

Tanic May 21, 2019 11:55 am

Fares get dirt cheap for travel in early December. Perfect time for end-of-year segment runs.

rsteinmetz70112 May 21, 2019 1:09 pm

The OP's profile says they're based in Nashville. Looking in late August I see flights to Atlanta for $49 each way. You could take a day trip.

NoStressHere May 21, 2019 1:32 pm

yea... i was thinking about status runs.... and trips we probably should not be spending money on...LOL,...

Would have been maybe only one or two status runs if I had been paying attention. STUPID on my part.

Will be looking at cheap flights... and before November.

We have Cit CC that gets us in to AA lounge in Nashville that makes flying much easier. Often well lubricated before boarding so that helps. That option goes away in November. (AA is putting in a new rule that you must be flying AA the same day to use lounge)

dmbolp May 21, 2019 1:39 pm

1 Attachment(s)
What's your points/flights mix? I get it on points much sooner than on # flights. If your points/flights mix is somewhat close, maybe purchase more expensive Anytime or BS fares in order to get it by points, instead of segment runs?

joshua362 May 21, 2019 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere (Post 31124651)
We have Cit CC that gets us in to AA lounge in Nashville that makes flying much easier. Often well lubricated before boarding so that helps. That option goes away in November. (AA is putting in a new rule that you must be flying AA the same day to use lounge)

Buy a fully refundable AA ticket for that day?

Tanic May 21, 2019 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere (Post 31124651)

I also use the AA lounge before WN flights. AA is even screwing their Lifetime AAdmirals members with this drastic change of T&Cs. It's nice that WN hasn't joined the race to the bottom.

synergistic May 21, 2019 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic (Post 31124747)
I also use the AA lounge before WN flights. AA is even screwing their Lifetime AAdmirals members with this drastic change of T&Cs. It's nice that WN hasn't joined the race to the bottom.

To be fair, WN doesn't even try to operate lounges. I think all of the legacies are going this direction - I gave up paid sky club membership because of the change. WN has never had any lounges to bar me from, though.

lougord99 May 21, 2019 6:17 pm

I have A-list and now that it makes no difference in checking bags or getting through security, I can't imagine why you would do a segment run just to get it. Checking in at T-24 will almost always get you a window or aisle, so I'm not sure what A-list does for you.

synergistic May 21, 2019 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99 (Post 31125559)
I have A-list and now that it makes no difference in checking bags or getting through security, I can't imagine why you would do a segment run just to get it. Checking in at T-24 will almost always get you a window or aisle, so I'm not sure what A-list does for you.

Same day standby is all I miss. I had an excellent success rate, booking cheap late night flights and leaving whenever we actually want to.

lougord99 May 21, 2019 7:20 pm

You are correct. Same day standby may be worth a segment run.