Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

03/27 Flight 5700, HNL - OAK, 6 hour delay leading to cancellation - IRROPS procedure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

03/27 Flight 5700, HNL - OAK, 6 hour delay leading to cancellation - IRROPS procedure

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2019, 9:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by spongenotbob

Of course they do. It just costs money they don’t want to spend.

NO, my point is that WN either interlines with some specific carrier or it doesn't. You can't decide to interline only for IROPs rebookings on one particular route.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
NO, my point is that WN either interlines with some specific carrier or it doesn't. You can't decide to interline only for IROPs rebookings on one particular route.
And how is HNL any different from Caribbean islands that get few flights each day? I guess slightly further away. Somehow WN has handled IRROPS there/
Old Mar 29, 2019, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by njf1003
And how is HNL any different from Caribbean islands that get few flights each day? I guess slightly further away. Somehow WN has handled IRROPS there/
They don't do it by interlining with other carriers on those routes.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't think WN has the option to interline with other carriers only for HNL flights.
WN does not specifically "interline", but they could pay other carriers directly. Years ago I had another carrier in an IROPS situation hand me a paper check to pay WN to get me to my destination. It can work both ways.

Perhaps GK and his accountants have determined that the bad publicity of stranding customers in HNL is cheaper than getting them home.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 9:17 am

This thread is exactly why, even though I got in on some of the cheap tickets when they were released, I hesitate at the thought of WN to Hawaii. No IRROPS handling, no interline, no backup plan. And no spare seats since nearly every flight is at 100% capacity.

Last edited by spongenotbob; Mar 29, 2019 at 9:25 am
Old Mar 29, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by njf1003
And how is HNL any different from Caribbean islands that get few flights each day? I guess slightly further away.
A LOT farther away. Not that big a deal to send a rescue airplane from FLL or ATL or even BWI.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold / Marriott Bonvoy(age) Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum, WN A+/CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Tanic
WN does not specifically "interline", but they could pay other carriers directly. Years ago I had another carrier in an IROPS situation hand me a paper check to pay WN to get me to my destination. It can work both ways.

Perhaps GK and his accountants have determined that the bad publicity of stranding customers in HNL is cheaper than getting them home.
Last year when AS/VX had a melt down at SFO, AS specifically was asking me if i would fly WN. They said they would pay for the ticket directly to WN from SJC to LAX for me. I declined cuz i would have waited for the damn bus down to SJC....my meeting in LA wasnt worth all that frustration....but it does happen from time to time.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: Variety of rectangular cards with my name on it
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I wonder how the passenger found this out?
Because the pilot and FAs were very transparent was happening. At 2:45 he said, "by the top of the hour, we are going to have a decision whether we fly or not." At 3ish the pilot said he made the executive decision not to fly the plane as it was unsafe.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold / Marriott Bonvoy(age) Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum, WN A+/CP, Hilton Diamond
In terms of rescue flights....i think this is also compounded by the max-8 grounding....WN ran a very tight / ambitious schedule as it is....with 34 7M8 grounded....there is just no spare capacity. I think this should be a rare event for WN especially once they add OGG/KOA inter-island flights. It sucks...i agree. But another few days in Hawaii? yes please! Just book with a CC that has delay insurance...book your own hotels and enjoy the delay/make the best of it, then get the insurance company to pay for your extra mini vacation.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: Variety of rectangular cards with my name on it
For those passengers on yesterday's flight at 1:15pm from HNL - OAK, there were many that had to connect to other airports. I will say at least San Diego and Salt Lake City connections (FA announced) needed to go to customer service as the connections left without them. We left delayed by an hour and a half from Honolulu. Those passengers most likely spent the night at OAK, again delayed by WN.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 11:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. No interline agreements.
2. No spare aircraft (must be eTOPS certified)
3. No spare crew on the Islands (also need eTOPS certified)
4. Distance to send a ferry flight
5. Lousy IRROPS handling, e.g. cheap hotels, low-ball food vouchers.
6. Silly rules at call centers about rerouting people with checked bags.

It may be that this market is just beyond WN's thought process and capabilities.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by isaac.chambers
In terms of rescue flights....i think this is also compounded by the max-8 grounding....WN ran a very tight / ambitious schedule as it is....with 34 7M8 grounded....there is just no spare capacity. I think this should be a rare event for WN especially once they add OGG/KOA inter-island flights. It sucks...i agree. But another few days in Hawaii? yes please! Just book with a CC that has delay insurance...book your own hotels and enjoy the delay/make the best of it, then get the insurance company to pay for your extra mini vacation.
While MAX grounding does impact WN's capacity, I don't believe that restraints the possibility of a relief flight. But instead, WN's "No Red-eye Flight" policy further complicates the issues. And - don't forget crew timeout as well.

Also - it is not always possible to get a hotel room. And not everyone is having a fancy credit card like CSR or Citi Prestige.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I'm not sure why WN wouldn't cover a hotel room in this situation given that it was a mechanical issue. I misconnected at HOU in December due to a mechanical three flights earlier than mine for the plane I flew HRL-HOU that put my plane 90 minutes behind. $200 voucher at HRL check-in (with a checked bag), rebooked to the morning, hotel at the Doubletree HOU comped with a voucher. And if for some reason my HOU-MDW had been delayed enough to make it, i was told to keep the $200 voucher for the inconvenience.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by garykung
Based on current WN operations at HNL, WN basically leaves no room for errors, which is so unlike from others, having tolerance for IRROPS.

While I am sympathetic to those encounter these IRROPS with WN, still I hate to say this - WN is not an airline you should choose flying to Hawaii, at least this moment.

UA - I sleep for most of the flight time. And then I still got a ETC for no WiFi.

Not going to happen when even HA does not dominate the market.
In the most recent statistics, HA has
% market share at HNL would one could argue is domination. They're 53% at OGG, 57% at LIH, 49% at KOA...and 95% at ITO.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
In the most recent statistics, HA has
% market share at HNL would one could argue is domination. They're 53% at OGG, 57% at LIH, 49% at KOA...and 95% at ITO.
Because the statistics includes 1) interisland flights; 2) HA's international flights; and the market is simply mainland to HNL.
Often1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.