FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   03/27 Flight 5700, HNL - OAK, 6 hour delay leading to cancellation - IRROPS procedure (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1962883-03-27-flight-5700-hnl-oak-6-hour-delay-leading-cancellation-irrops-procedure.html)

Mrp Alert Mar 27, 2019 6:40 pm

03/27 Flight 5700, HNL - OAK, 6 hour delay leading to cancellation - IRROPS procedure

5700 returned to gate with MX issues. Reboarded approximately 1230. It’s now 1435 and it is still on the ground.

6569 boarded approximately 1425 and has not finished boarding. WiFi will probably be inoperative on the flight.

With scheduled arrival times of 2235 for both flights, no one is making connections unless WN holds flights in OAK.

I am amongst 35 other pax + 2 FAs connecting to LAS tonight on this flight plus whoever is on the other flight. I am hopeful that I make it home tonight, but not confident. Whatever issues occurred, gate announcements were sparse and not very informative. WN will need to do a full debrief on today’s snafus if they’re going to be successful flying to Hawaii.

Mrp Alert Mar 27, 2019 7:15 pm

6569 is off the gate. 5700 has not pushed. Our WiFi is inoperative so this will be a long flight.

KissFlyGoodbye Mar 27, 2019 8:09 pm

I'm on the earlier 5700 flight. After 6 hours due to MX, it was cancelled. There is bare bones IRROPs and was advised by a gate agent that boarded to call SW for accommodation and rebooking. If we were to fly on another airline, we would need to call SW as soon as possible.

KissFlyGoodbye Mar 27, 2019 8:13 pm

03/27 Flight 5700, HNL - OAK, 6 hour delay leading to cancellation - IRROPS procedure

First time flying on WN. Unsure of the procedures here for a cancelled flight.

Flight to depart at 9:10 AM, delayed to past 3pm and cancelled. Sat on tarmac entire time.

Instructions were to call WN for accommodation and rebooking. At gate, only one gate agent present to accommodate 200+ passengers on cancelled flight. No instruction on any food, travel, or overnight travel accommodation. Since no flights in evening, we are now due to depart the following day on 1:15 pm.

What rights or accommodations does WN usually supply for a non-weather related cancellation? By calling the number, would accommodation for the overnight be given? There is bare bones staff present at HNL as all flights have departed. No ticketing/full service staff available as there are no other flights for the day.
Is it possible to just head to a hotel, book for the night, and then talk to WN staff the next day to bill them for the expenses? What is usually the range of reimbursement they accept?

Troopers Mar 27, 2019 9:42 pm

HNL IRROPS will be a huge hurdle for WN. WN simply does not have planes to recover.

ETA: it appears last flights to SLC and LAS are being held in OAK.

azj Mar 27, 2019 11:05 pm

Wonder if the local media will cover THIS with as much voracity as they did their arrival and their constant negativity towards Hawaiian?

Mrp Alert Mar 28, 2019 12:27 am

LAX, SLC, and LAS were held. ONT pax offered reroute to LAX and shuttle to ONT. SEA & DEN & GEG connecting passengers had hotel vouchers waiting for them on arrival.

Flying sans WiFi and hugely delayed was stressful but not nearly as bad as what folks on the earlier flight encountered.

ursine1 Mar 28, 2019 2:14 am

Originally Posted by KissFlyGoodbye (Post 30937595)
First time flying on WN. Unsure of the procedures here for a cancelled flight.

Flight to depart at 9:10 AM, delayed to past 3pm and cancelled. Sat on tarmac entire time.

Instructions were to call WN for accommodation and rebooking. At gate, only one gate agent present to accommodate 200+ passengers on cancelled flight. No instruction on any food, travel, or overnight travel accommodation. Since no flights in evening, we are now due to depart the following day on 1:15 pm.

What rights or accommodations does WN usually supply for a non-weather related cancellation? By calling the number, would accommodation for the overnight be given? There is bare bones staff present at HNL as all flights have departed. No ticketing/full service staff available as there are no other flights for the day.
Is it possible to just head to a hotel, book for the night, and then talk to WN staff the next day to bill them for the expenses? What is usually the range of reimbursement they accept?

Oh my.

Unfortunately, you're in for some more disappointment.

Southwest will sometimes accommodate with a hotel or food voucher, or a discount hotel voucher, but you'd need to have gotten that from an agent at the airport. (Also, sometimes those vouchers turn out to be worthless when they're not accepted by the hotel and/or it has no rooms available.)

Otherwise, Southwest (except in very special circumstances*) doesn't reimburse for alternate travel expenses, hotels or food. At best you may receive vouchers towards future travel.

They also, as you likely already know, have no interline agreements with any other carriers.

*The last special circumstance that I know of was the huge IT meltdown a few years ago. They are not doing anything outside of normal policy right now for those displaced due to the MAX aircraft grounding, and that situation is causing a great deal of customer disappointment. I suppose there's a small chance that they might do something special in your situation since it's relatively limited, and in order to avoid negative publicity regarding the recently-launched service to Hawaii. you will need to reach out to Customer Relations after the completion of your trip.

Good luck. Please come back and let us know how it works out.

3Cforme Mar 28, 2019 5:58 am

Oh, the horrors of being without wifi. What did people do for 90 years of passenger aviation before wifi?

joshua362 Mar 28, 2019 7:08 am

Originally Posted by KissFlyGoodbye (Post 30937595)

If this is true and my math is correct, WN is in store for a huge fine. Do the passengers share in that?

lougord99 Mar 28, 2019 8:07 am

Originally Posted by joshua362 (Post 30938789)
If this is true and my math is correct, WN is in store for a huge fine. Do the passengers share in that?

No. The government gets that.

Mrp Alert Mar 28, 2019 10:48 am

Originally Posted by KissFlyGoodbye (Post 30937584)
I'm on the earlier 5700 flight. After 6 hours due to MX, it was cancelled. There is bare bones IRROPs and was advised by a gate agent that boarded to call SW for accommodation and rebooking. If we were to fly on another airline, we would need to call SW as soon as possible.

Did you receive a hotel voucher, food voucher, and confirmed seats today? That is the prescribed remedy for your situation. Did you receive an apology email and a voucher from WN?

Passengers on 6569 received this letter and a separate $100 voucher right when we landed in OAK:

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...c2ccc3e51.jpeg

Lux Flyer Mar 28, 2019 10:57 am

Originally Posted by joshua362 (Post 30938789)

From the OPs original post (below), they didn't violate the tarmac rule. Additionally, even if they didn't disembark and reboard, doesn't necessarily mean they were in violation. The only requirement is that they make efforts to return to the gate within 3 hours, and there is an exception for going beyond 3 hours if it is unsafe or otherwise disrupt airport operations. So unless you know all those facts doesn't guarantee a violation. Additionally in these types of mechanical delays at the gate, the jet bridge is attached with the boarding door open, which means the clock isn't even running.

Originally Posted by Mrp Alert (Post 30937384)
5700 returned to gate with MX issues. Reboarded approximately 1230. It’s now 1435 and it is still on the ground.

Often1 Mar 28, 2019 12:13 pm

This is going to be a serious problem for WN. Lack of backup aircraft and crew, no interline agreements with other carriers and lack of effective IRROPS handling mean that people need to hedge WN tickets to the Islands with platinum-plated travel interruption coverage. Not much different than people who book long-haul on DY are finding in IRROPS. The cheaper ticket is not necessarily the less expensive trip.

formeraa Mar 28, 2019 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 30939822)
This is going to be a serious problem for WN. Lack of backup aircraft and crew, no interline agreements with other carriers and lack of effective IRROPS handling mean that people need to hedge WN tickets to the Islands with platinum-plated travel interruption coverage. Not much different than people who book long-haul on DY are finding in IRROPS. The cheaper ticket is not necessarily the less expensive trip.

Shame on Southwest for this scenario! Surely, it was bound to happen at some point and they clearly had no plan. When flights are delayed this long, you have plenty of time to devise a plan and you either pay agents overtime or call new agents in to handle the situation. I understand the lack of spare aircraft, but the lack of planning for a cancellation seems ridiculous.