Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trump grounds Max8/9

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:04 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by KenTarmac
Yes the FAA is independent. Basically, as I see it, it comes down to this: The FAA made the call and he's taking the credit (As he's prone to do).

The FAA has an 'administrator who reports to a cabinet secretary who reports to the president. The FAA is bound by their own regulations. They have a right to take action against those regulations on their own volition or under direction by the cabinet or the president.

The NTSB is more independent in that they work under the rules approved by congress

I can't recall any historical downside to this arrangement in the last 50 years
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by TEBraniff
There were approximately 37,000 deaths on US Highways in 2017. Do the networks care? Why is all the focus always on aviation or Naval ships?
It's a very standard definition of news. News is the uncommon, the unusual, the odd.

Car wrecks aren't unusual. Air crashes are extraordinarily unusual. Of COURSE the news media is going to report on such incidents.

Plus, you have the one thing all TV news media needs to survive: Visuals. Sweeping shots of devastated landscape with pieces and parts of planes are exactly what the media thrives on. That and fire, which is why wildfires are ALWAYS given over-emphasis on the news.
joshua362 and johnjagg like this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:55 am

Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by TEBraniff
There were approximately 37,000 deaths on US Highways in 2017. Do the networks care? Why is all the focus always on aviation or Naval ships?
Auto fatalities are not only common as DenverBrian pointed out, but they are also local. Local TV news has an auto accident fatality story on their broadcasts nearly every night. Of course the national news won't care about Billy Bob from Mexia, TX dying by drunkenly driving into a ditch on Hwy 84. You can't compare highway deaths to 200 people dying all at once from a single incident. Now if every 2017 Chevy Silverado suffered the exact some mechanical/system failure all across the country, at the exact same time that resulted in 250 deaths, of course it would be national news worthy.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:34 am
Suspended

I mean the news outlets were digging out all the lobbying Boeing did, the financial contributions to senators etc and also that like dozens of people inside the FAA are actually Boeing employees which in turn certify their own products for safety. For Boeing it just makes sense to ground them and push the rumours around "why not grounding them" aside. So CNN and co won't dig deeper into all the fraud and corruption that's actually happening.
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: Southwest Hilton Diamond
American has been ferrying planes all day, several came out of the Caribbean earlier today. Air Canada had a couple earlier also.

Old Mar 15, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by johnjagg
Auto fatalities are not only common as DenverBrian pointed out, but they are also local. Local TV news has an auto accident fatality story on their broadcasts nearly every night. Of course the national news won't care about Billy Bob from Mexia, TX dying by drunkenly driving into a ditch on Hwy 84. You can't compare highway deaths to 200 people dying all at once from a single incident. Now if every 2017 Chevy Silverado suffered the exact some mechanical/system failure all across the country, at the exact same time that resulted in 250 deaths, of course it would be national news worthy.
Did I miss the news about Chevy Pickups? Was there a recall?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Did I miss the news about Chevy Pickups? Was there a recall?
​​​​​​Nothing's been right since asbestos insulation was recalled.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 4:32 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LegalTender
​​​​​​Nothing's been right since asbestos insulation was recalled.
True dat. I still miss that old Freon.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:12 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
True dat. I still miss that old Freon.
Yeah. In those days I was chill.

Nowadays if I want to destroy the ozone layer I need to buy an airline ticket...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.