Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Carry-On was taken without my knowledge. Looking for options.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carry-On was taken without my knowledge. Looking for options.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
I wonder if by "in front of me" the OP means in front of his torso but under their own seat.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:45 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by nsx
The OP does not believe this to have been the case, so your premise is not factual.

And: "whatever consequences"? Including having your items stolen, as has happened in other cases? If I park my car illegally, do I deserve to have it burned to the ground? Sorry, but even stipulating your faulty premise the punishment would not fit the crime. We need to practice the Golden Rule.
Your car was not burned to the ground, it was taken to the impound lot. Paying to get it back absolutely fits the crime.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:50 pm

This thread is hilarious.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:47 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by ursine1
This thread is hilarious.
And it is now tied with the WN state of emergency thread for messages and views, which had a two week head start..

Shiny object.
scubaccr and synergistic like this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Occam's Razor guys.
The bag didn't move. He moved.
​​​​​​That's the simplest explanation sufficient to jibe with the facts as given.
He stashed his bag under the seat in front of him as we all do. Then for whatever reason he got up (earlier I postulated that he went to the lav; but that's just a guess) and when he came back he sat one row in front of his seat, meaning his bag is now under his seat. This is WN - no seat assignments. And how many times with a seat assignment have people sat a row ahead or behind they're actual seat? It's been reported dozens of times on FT.
The OP already says he was so tired he dozed off repeatedly even before take off.
Any other explanation - especially accusations of his being a knowing violator of the basic rules of stowing bags in an airplane - say volumes more about the accuser than the OP.
Now what about the actual point of the original post?
Should WN charge him to ship his bag up to him? Or can't they just send it to OAK on a regularly scheduled flight and he can come pick it up at the airport?
sdsearch, nancypants and ryw like this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 4:02 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by rickg523
Occam's Razor guys.
The bag didn't move. He moved.
​​​​​​That's the simplest explanation sufficient to jibe with the facts as given.
He stashed his bag under the seat in front of him as we all do. Then for whatever reason he got up (earlier I postulated that he went to the lav; but that's just a guess) and when he came back he sat one row in front of his seat, meaning his bag is now under his seat. This is WN - no seat assignments. And how many times with a seat assignment have people sat a row ahead or behind they're actual seat? It's been reported dozens of times on FT.
The OP already says he was so tired he dozed off repeatedly even before take off.
Any other explanation - especially accusations of his being a knowing violator of the basic rules of stowing bags in an airplane - say volumes more about the accuser than the OP.
Now what about the actual point of the original post?
Should WN charge him to ship his bag up to him? Or can't they just send it to OAK on a regularly scheduled flight and he can come pick it up at the airport?
I disagree, as I stated above.

And I don't think he knowingly violated the rules, I think he made a mistake. I get the impression (I could be wrong, it's just a gut feeling) that he's not a very experienced flyer, and may not have fully understood the term "under the seat in front of you". Particularly if he was so exhausted that he fell asleep before the aircraft even took off.

Despite the slogan, bags don't really fly free on WN. Both bags and people cost money to fly from one place to another; WN simply builds that cost into the fare, rather than a la carteing it as most other carriers do these days. As such, I would not think WN the bad guys if they shipped the bag directly to OP via USPS, at his expense. WN did nothing wrong, nor did the person behind him who reported the bag, nor did the FAs who most likely believed that the bag belonged to someone who had just deplaned and made a good-faith effort to return it to them.

Sure, OP made a mistake, and is not a villain, but that doesn't mean he's not liable for the consequences of his mistake. In this case, that means he will probably have to pay the shipping costs to get his bag back.

Unless, of course, WN decides to do him a solid in the name of customer relations and absorb the cost themselves. I would have no problem with that. But if they don't do it, that doesn't make them a villain, either.
NextTrip and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
Smile

All the more reason to have a tag on your bag, then the FA could have checked it against the passenger list.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 4:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some companies have policies that at least some of their business travelers should not to have anything showing in public, such as a luggage ID, that identifies either the company or the person by name. [They're also not supposed to wear items that have the corporate logo, etc.]
steved5480 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 4:52 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by strickerj
The opening paragraph is a bit ambiguous, but the OP’s edit includes the following:

[...]

So, I stand by my comment that OP didn’t say he put is bag under his own seat; everyone here just assumed that.
Mostly agree. I don't think anyone on here can conclusively state anything about what occurred unless you were there also and witnessed it. This may include the OP, who could be lying, but could also be telling the truth and wasn't aware of what happened and when.

Yes, OP wrote one thing that can be taken as "incriminating" but subsequently made a different description. This could be backtracking, or it could be that the first thing they said was written in haste or under stressful conditions and they wrote one thing but meant another, and the second description was the correct one.

So we just don't know.
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:45 pm

Programs: QF WP
OT I know
But we’re all arguing essentially about $50
i value my time at >$50/hr
Therefore if this was me and I was looking at spending an hour or more to sort this out, i’d just swallow the cost

everyone will place a different value on their time but it’s important to keep some perspective
Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Some companies have policies that at least some of their business travelers should not to have anything showing in public, such as a luggage ID, that identifies either the company or the person by name. [They're also not supposed to wear items that have the corporate logo, etc.]
I've never heard of that, but then I live under a rock. I have a tag on my "personal item" that has a flap over the business card in the tag. The tag is obvious and anyone looking at the bag would recognize it as a tag, simply lift the leather flap and see my name and contact information.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:20 am

I have tags with my name and cell number on them...no need to put any info about an company I currently work for, any company I used to work for, or any company that I may not even work for tomorrow
wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:53 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
driving to airport (petrol cost/tolls), parking (parking cost), collecting bag (if airline carry foc) is going to cost OP both money and time.
...... the total cost going to airport may already approach the fedex costs, so OP mights as well use and pay fedex, though for a 20yr old, us$50 (after tax monies) may well be significant amount and OP would rather not spend anything if airline can be persuaded to pay.

Regards fault, to my mind 50/50, should not be under his own seat, bags under seats won't self shift from under seats while plane is stationary at gate, where plane had to be for crew to offload said bag. Especially won't shift to under your seat due to the bar under front of ones seat. CC won't/can't delay takeoff to search for bag owner, but logically CC maybe could+should ask passenger on seat above said bag before offloading.

However flying bag to OPs airport costs nothing, though a logistics issue , it goes into hold as unaccompanied luggage, gets damaged/lost, and OP then blames airline even more. I can see airline wanting to fedex to cover themselves against bag getting damaged or lost during return to OP.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scubaccr
driving to airport (petrol cost/tolls), parking (parking cost), collecting bag (if airline carry foc) is going to cost OP both money and time.
...... the total cost going to airport may already approach the fedex costs, so OP mights as well use and pay fedex, though for a 20yr old, us$50 (after tax monies) may well be significant amount and OP would rather not spend anything if airline can be persuaded to pay.

Regards fault, to my mind 50/50, should not be under his own seat, bags under seats won't self shift from under seats while plane is stationary at gate, where plane had to be for crew to offload said bag. Especially won't shift to under your seat due to the bar under front of ones seat. CC won't/can't delay takeoff to search for bag owner, but logically CC maybe could+should ask passenger on seat above said bag before offloading.

However flying bag to OPs airport costs nothing, though a logistics issue , it goes into hold as unaccompanied luggage, gets damaged/lost, and OP then blames airline even more. I can see airline wanting to fedex to cover themselves against bag getting damaged or lost during return to OP.
As I started on this thread, I was firmly of the mind that WN was being chintzy, and frankly out of character, asking him to have the bag Fedex'd at his expense when they fly SAN-OAK multiple times daily. I still believe that, if indeed they didn't at least offer him that option. This however is unclear from the OP's report. Maybe it would cost him more to retrieve it from OAK. Maybe not. He ought to have been offered the choice though. At least IMO.
I admit however the considerations brought up by scubaccr are valid.
But history has shown WN - seemingly somewhat unique among domestic carriers - often willing to bend their rules a bit to accommodate a passenger who, often by their own actions, has found themselves in difficulty.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nancypants
OT I know
But we’re all arguing essentially about $50
i value my time at >$50/hr
Therefore if this was me and I was looking at spending an hour or more to sort this out, i’d just swallow the cost

everyone will place a different value on their time but it’s important to keep some perspective
If you genuinely believe someone is trying to scam you, I can see fighting it. I've fought unethical or fraudulent charges even though the ROI in terms of my time/effort wasn't really worth it. Especially if a bank, telephone company, cable company, or some other type of company that is known for widespread fraud/scams/etc.

That said, this is not the case here. Probably innocent mistakes all around - on the part of the OP for putting his bag in the wrong place and on the part of the FA for not quickly realizing whose bag it was. The upthread suggestion that WN should just tag it on the next OAK flight and let OP come and get it seems like the most reasonable solution for both sides.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.