Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Carry-On was taken without my knowledge. Looking for options.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carry-On was taken without my knowledge. Looking for options.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:42 pm

Imagination runs wild.
htb likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by dlaue
Three words:

Alcohol was involved
That remark resembles me the three times I was in town for a "conference", excessively ! Great town.

BTW - its all speculation, duh, none of us were there. Welcome to the internet 1995!
jinglish likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:48 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by nsx
I hope this situation is different, and that the omitted facts support the complaint. Otherwise readers' time has been wasted answering the wrong question.
Yay! The OP returned (see edited post 1) and gave us as complete a picture as possible. This sounds very much like Southwest is at fault for not surveying everyone about the bag, sleeping or not.
ryw likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 1:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Something smells fishy.

A passenger gets on a plane. Notices bag already at his/her feet. Good chance this passenger is in Row 2 and feet are under Row 1. Passenger in Row 1 is sleeping.

Wouldn't the passenger in Row 2 or the FA just nudge the passenger in Row 1 to say "you need to stow this in an overhead bin." If it's a bag that is small enough to fit under the seat, then the FA gets it stowed somehow. If it's a rollaboard and shouldn't have been there to begin with, it's pretty obvious that Sleeping Beauty needs to be woken up to be informed that his bag is getting gate checked to the destination.

Nobody falls into a deep un-wake-uppable slumber while people are boarding a Southwest flight.

We don't have all the facts.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Yay! The OP returned (see edited post 1) and gave us as complete a picture as possible. This sounds very much like Southwest is at fault for not surveying everyone about the bag, sleeping or not.
That was easy. All disparagement forgotten. Worst instincts, eighty-sixed. Doubting OP a fool's errand. The airline blew it.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Ok somehow I'm not understanding this > with the bag in front of your feet why ask the man behind you? And as he handed it to the flight attendant how did the bad get from in front of your feet all the way to his feet? And if you wake up and you don't see your bag wouldn't you ask the person next to you first? .... What am I missing?
  • I put my bag under the seat in front of me. When I woke up, I asked the man seated behind me. He stated that he didn't know whose bag it was and handed it to the flight attendant. I did not mean to make it sound like the bag was "magically" underneath my seat; I do not know where it was. I just assume that if the person next to me paid any attention to it then it must have shifted around.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by thestrauch
I put my bag under the seat in front of me. When I woke up, I asked the man seated behind me. He stated that he didn't know whose bag it was and handed it to the flight attendant.
How would the man seated behind you even get to a bag under the seat in front of you?

I was not on any sort of substance.
Me neither, Officer.

I was early in group B and one of the first to board.
This isn't how Southwest works. If you were early in Group B, you're probably 40th-50th to board. Sometimes 60th+. The don't always sell all of A1-15, and sometimes people no-show, but sometimes there are a bunch of preboarders or between-A-and-B boarders. I've never seen B1 be one of the first to board. Ever.

I realized about 5-10 minutes after takeoff that I could not find my bag. That is when I asked the person behind me if he saw my bag, and he relayed to me the story in the first bullet point. I then asked a FA if he knew what they did with the bag, and he said it was left in San Diego. He said that I needed to speak with baggage claims in Oakland and they could help me.
If the bag was under the seat in front of you, why would you even *think* to ask the person behind you about it? Wouldn't you ask the person in front of you? The person whose seat your bag was allegedly under. It would be hard for them to drag it out, but they'd be the only one with any chance at all.

I feel that there was some kind of misconduct on the part of the airline because the bag was removed without any effort whatsoever to find if it was a passenger's.
If you story happened as you said it did, yeah...because they'd have to go through your feet to get to your bag. They'd know whose bag it was. Why Southwest is involved in a conspiracy to get your bag off the flight, I have no idea.

As said above, I was not out like "sleeping beauty." I was nodding in and out, and most definitely would have noticed any announcements or a flight attendant asking about a bag. I know this because I was woken up by a FA asking around about drinks. I am posting because I want to know if it is permissible on the half of the airline to take a bag off of a flight without a word to passengers.
If you were nodding in and out, you'd notice someone taking your bag out from under the seat in front of you. They'd have to move you in the process.

Can they just pick up any bag and leave with it?
Yes. If they can't find the owner and it's in a place where someone else's bag belongs. (Such as under your *own* seat.) Be glad nobody interpreted it as an "unattended" bag for security purposes.

So, really, where was the bag? Under your own seat? Under some other seat?
Statman and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:58 pm

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
I guess my only question would be..........how come you didn't have a name tag on your carry on?
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 3:05 pm

Much of the report doesn't make sense to me. What's puzzling to me is why didn't the FA make a significant effort to locate the bag's owner,eg. make a announcement over the intercom, ask sleeping pax, etc?
Often1 and strickerj like this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 3:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This still does not make any sense. Either the bag was properly under the seat in front of OP or it was not. If it was not then it was properly removed and WN had no obligation or reason to hold the boarding process and departure while an FA asked around.. Or OP properly placed it under the seat in front of him and someone else moved it. Unless it was WN, that's unfortunate but not on WN.
wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 3:53 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
OP, if you sat in 2A or 2F (a window seat presumably to fall right asleep), did you stick the bag under the middle (or aisle) seat IN FRONT OF YOU? This is a common ploy hoping the middle seat stays empty, I do all the time on empty flights. Was your row full?

This would be the only scenario that could make logical sense although I find it hard to believe someone wouldn't have nudged you or that you wouldn't have woken as a bag is maneuvered out and removed. I'm very jealous of your plane sleeping abilities BTW...
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by joshua362; Mar 1, 2019 at 5:17 pm
Old Mar 1, 2019, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
As in 1963 , “ there was a second shooter”

case closed
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
OP - to answer questions you don't have to edit your original post (and in fact it makes it harder for us to see). Just click on post reply and add what you like in a new post.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 5:45 pm

OP, even after your edit, I still don't understand how your bag could be removed from under the seat in front of you without you knowing it. Also, don't understand why the guy behind you would even notice your bag (two rows up) under the seat in front of you, let alone report it to a flight attendant as an unattended bag. Lastly, don't understand why a FA would move a bag that is placed directly under the seat in front of you. Something doesn't add up!
wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:02 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
My opinion:

OP probably put the bag under his own seat. The person behind saw the bag and assumed that it had been left behind by someone who had just deplaned. Being conscientious, the person behind alerted the FA, who passed the bag to the GA to send to the airport lost and found. OP later woke up and looked for his bag under his own seat, found it missing, and asked the person behind if he had seen the missing bag. When the person behind told OP the tale, OP decided to fib a little by saying, "Oh, yeah, the bag you took off the plane was so TOTALLY under the seat in front of me! I don't know HOW it ended up with the person behind me!"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.