Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Progress at KCI on airline expenditures

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
WN is MCI (hometown KCI)'s largest carrier. A new modern terminal will be certainly more comfy for pax. Terminal gate areas are cramped and uncomfortable at times. I also fly AAnother airline regularly out of Terminal C and often have had to stand (not sitting on that nasty carpet) at a gate area because there is no seating available. With that said, it is an end of an era. I remember as a kid in 72' going out to the new airport when TWA was King in Kansas City. (Braniiff International too) It was considered state of the art then. Beautiful and new. But, it's time to say bye bye.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:56 am

Omaha committed $1.2 billion "to improve the customer experience" at Eppley Airfield. KCI's $1.5 billion is not outlandish. The economic catalyst outweighs ticket inflation fears. No expectation of "world class" dining and shopping, just a gateway deserving of a 2.4 million market with class and growth potential.

It only has to work as well as Albuquerque to suit me.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by davesam12
it is an end of an era. I remember as a kid in 72' going out to the new airport when TWA was King in Kansas City. (Braniiff International too) It was considered state of the art then.
Sometime after BN's demise, EA became the busiest carrier out of MCI in the 1980s. But then the corporate raiders came...
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dean1953
Having lived in Kansas City for the life of the current airport, my main concern is; since the airlines are paying for the new airport, by how much will ticket prices go up to pay for the new airport? I don’t travel for business, so I don’t have a company paying for my travel. The idea of building a new airport to bring fine dining and shopping on a grand scale to MCI (just so MCI can compete with what other airports offer) seems ridiculous. I hope that, as part of this 1.5 billion operation, they implement a better mass transit from the airport to various areas of the metro, including downtown.
Landing fees will rise a bit, but the increased capacity and choice will make this totally worth it to me as an O&D passenger. I don't really want KC to become a hub for anyone (there are often bad unintended consquences with that), but if improved baggage ops and passenger facilities allow someone like WN to route more connecting traffic through MCI, that's all the better. I think of it as Kansas City paying for about half of the total cost (roughly assuming that flights landing here are half-full of people from other places and current connecting traffic is negligible). If the connecting traffic is someday *not* negligible, then that's more people sharing the total cost of the airport.

But even so, I'm completely content with the cost and how we will benefit once the new terminal is open.
msglsmo likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:59 am

No one on the Kansas side was eligible to vote on this? Politically, a heavy lift for KCMO. Voters delivered an emphatic 3-1 verdict. But a generational decision should involve all stakeholders. Hundreds of millions in state incentives are used to poach businesses to cross state lines, both directions.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LegalTender
No one on the Kansas side was eligible to vote on this? Politically, a heavy lift for KCMO. Voters delivered an emphatic 3-1 verdict. But a generational decision should involve all stakeholders. Hundreds of millions in state incentives are used to poach businesses to cross state lines, both directions.
No, Kansas has no vote on airport matters.

There is occasional mild political noise about a Kansas airport, in recent years in response to KCMO's inability to maintain theirs. But no serious proposal has ever gained any traction in my lifetime and with this deal moving forward, none will.

I live in Kansas, about 30 minutes from MCI. Any Kansas location that could theoretically support an airport would be about that far away. I'm happy with MCI where it is.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:01 am

Not living here, you don’t know the history of the Kansas City Missouri city council. Without their interference, it would have been built by now (the first studies for a new airport were commissioned in 2010). There is very little cooperation between the various municipalities making up the KC region. The only cooperation between the municipalities on opposite sides of State Line was in restoring the train station in KCMO. The airport referendum was postponed for several years because the polls indicated that the voters of KCMO would not approve a new airport. I’m not opposed to a new airport, particularly since people living here don’t directly pay for it. I’m skeptical on how much more traffic will go through MCI with just Southwest Airlines having a significant presence. I’m not sure if there has ever been an explanation of what happens if an airline pulls out of MCI or goes bankrupt over the next 30 years, while the bond are being paid off. Are the other carriers obligated to pick up the financial slack, or would it come back to the citizens of KCMO? It should be an interesting few years until completion. By the time it is completed, a decision will have to come over the baseball/football stadiums. I assume the consensus will be to tear down and not renovate. My guess is that 1 or preferably multiple Super Bowl victories will make that decision easier to swallow for the voters in Jackson County (they envelope KCMO and several other municipalities and are responsible for the Stadium’s upkeep).
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Dean1953
I hope that, as part of this 1.5 billion operation, they implement a better mass transit from the airport to various areas of the metro, including downtown.
Y'know, long ago I really wanted KC to do this - have some sort of transit to the airport. But now I realize this probably isn't ever going to happen, and maybe shouldn't. That direction (northwest from downtown) isn't where our main traffic problems exist, and we'd be talking about a pretty long line (20-ish miles) with few dense population centers along the way. This is one place where I'm content to let Uber and Lyft, or whatever comes after them, handle the load for people who don't want to drive.

It took many, many years just to get some transit from the River Market (downtown) to Union Station (midtown). That's like 5 miles, very popular now, but we're still years away from having that one line extend to the Plaza. And it's just a comparatively-inexpensive streetcar system.

KC made a bunch of bad city planning decisions in the 20th century and killed off a lot of transit lines out to nearby communities. The Strang Line used to be a real thing that connected KC to a whole bunch of Johnson County towns. Thank the tire companies and automakers for lobbying for what we have now...
steved5480, Dean1953 and ryw like this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:58 pm

Ridiculous is right. No one suggest MCI will now have fine dining.

And take a look look at the studies. Flight fares don’t increase because of a new terminal. Capital projects like this are spread across the system. We’ve been paying for new terminals for years in KC - just not our own.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by msglsmo
Ridiculous is right. No one suggest MCI will now have fine dining.
Remember that the finest dining in Kansas City requires a fairly large smoker. Probably hard to do that airside.
msglsmo likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by pinniped
Remember that the finest dining in Kansas City requires a fairly large smoker. Probably hard to do that airside.
What he said. Compete with emphasis.
msglsmo likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 3:23 pm

I’ve heard that the MCI airport authority has hired former KC and San Francisco quarterback Steve Bono to be head of the committee that will choose which restaurants will be allowed to lease space at the new MCI. That way, MCI’s new restaurants will at least be better than the worst restaurant at SFO.
msglsmo likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by msglsmo
Pretty excited to have a first class airport for a first class region.
Oh, is there a new airport being built on the West Coast?
steved5480 and Dean1953 like this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:00 pm

I feel about airports about the same as I feel about cars. All I care about is getting from point ATo B, in reasonable comfort. I don’t care about owning expensive, new cars with all the bells and whistles. I don’t care if an airport has restaurants galore and provide a shopping experience. What I do realize is the perception that these things matter to business travelers and their companies. Those are the forces driving the demand for a new airport. If a new airport is the guiding force behind getting some companies to relocate here, maybe it’s worth it. Besides, the people living here aren’t being asked to pay for it in higher taxes or bonds. I can’t say that, as the day gets closer to completion, I’m going to be extremely excited about it.
msglsmo likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:23 pm

This brings back memories. In the summer of 1959 I flew on one of the first B707's on TWA from LAX to what was then the old airport. Imagine putting that speed bird down on those short runways. Wasn't the airport downtown then, on the river? The Captain told us the plane was brand new to the fleet and it had just returned from overseas with Ike aboard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.