Old Feb 7, 19, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Progress at KCI on airline expenditures

Old Feb 8, 19, 9:17 am

Finally! This needs to get done.
Old Feb 9, 19, 7:38 pm

Living in K.C. Since 1975, it makes no difference to me. I’ll be retired and living abroad by the time that they finish the airport. I flew in last night from Orlando and my experiences while at MCI were a lot more positive than those at MCO.
steved5480 likes this.

Last edited by Dean1953; Feb 9, 19 at 7:39 pm Reason: Added something
Old Feb 10, 19, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Old Feb 10, 19, 12:15 pm

Pretty excited to have a first class airport for a first class region. I fully believe the combination of an increase in non-stop flight options and vastly improved airside experience will be great for the community.
Old Feb 10, 19, 1:07 pm

Curious how they settled on 39 gates. Passenger volume is increasing 4+% a year and KCI uses 59 gates now even with Terminal A closed. Some are way under-utilized, so I get the smaller-is-better argument. But planners designed 90 gates back in 1972. Somebody was smoking some killer herb.
Old Feb 10, 19, 1:52 pm

KCI doesn’t actually have 59 gates today. Sure they are listed, but many are non-existent or unusable.

For example, Terminal C. Vacation Express/Miami Air uses the first gate, 61. United uses gates 62 to 69, Frontier at gate 76, Spirit at 77, Alegient at 78, American 79-85 and international gates 89 and 90.

Even within the banks an airline has, a number of gates simply don’t exist. For example, I fly United a lot. Gates 65-66 don’t exist within 62-69.

Last edited by msglsmo; Feb 10, 19 at 1:57 pm
Old Feb 28, 19, 11:35 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
KCI single terminal construction could begin within weeks following Council approval
Old Mar 1, 19, 1:33 pm

Give me a sledgehammer. I’ll start when I land tonight.
HPN-HRL, CA1900 and steved5480 like this.
Old Mar 1, 19, 3:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dean1953 View Post
Living in K.C. Since 1975, it makes no difference to me. I’ll be retired and living abroad by the time that they finish the airport. I flew in last night from Orlando and my experiences while at MCI were a lot more positive than those at MCO.
That's because MCO is horrible, always has been, and always will be.

A modern MCI will be wonderful for the area. Better parking, better airside amenities, probably additional service from several airlines, ability to handle the occasional larger aircraft, additional international service. Airlines get better operational facilities. Everybody wins.
steved5480, msglsmo and roundtree like this.
Old Mar 2, 19, 3:09 am

Programs: AA/DL/WN/ex-UA elite
If people are going to use the three letter code for an airport, they need to get it right. It's MCI, not "KCI".
msglsmo likes this.
Old Mar 2, 19, 5:55 am

Programs: No change fees keep me tied to WN. Hilton and Choice hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by Kevin AA View Post
If people are going to use the three letter code for an airport, they need to get it right. It's MCI, not "KCI".
Everyone in Kansas City including the airport calls it KCI. Inside the airport are large signs saying ‘Welcome to KCI’. Using KCI as the designation for the airport is perfectly acceptable.
pinniped likes this.
Old Mar 2, 19, 6:07 am

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Much like locals referring to MCO as OIA, DEN as DIA, etc. It's not right, it's just "so".
Old Mar 2, 19, 8:30 am

Having lived in Kansas City for the life of the current airport, my main concern is; since the airlines are paying for the new airport, by how much will ticket prices go up to pay for the new airport? I don’t travel for business, so I don’t have a company paying for my travel. The idea of building a new airport to bring fine dining and shopping on a grand scale to MCI (just so MCI can compete with what other airports offer) seems ridiculous. I hope that, as part of this 1.5 billion operation, they implement a better mass transit from the airport to various areas of the metro, including downtown.
Old Mar 2, 19, 9:00 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by lougord99 View Post
Everyone in Kansas City including the airport calls it KCI. Inside the airport are large signs saying ‘Welcome to KCI’. Using KCI as the designation for the airport is perfectly acceptable.
KCI is a real IATA airport code. If your baggage is tagged to "KCI" it will be found far, far away from MCI.
whlinder likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: