Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest uses the same new Boeing plane in Indonesia crash

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest uses the same new Boeing plane in Indonesia crash

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2018, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OPNLguy

The "secret" now having been revealed, I suspect every flightcrew is now intimately familiar with the design of the new feature, as well as the proper recovery procedures. Accordingly, I'd have zero issue flying on a 738Max..
Yes... assuming that was the only "secret."

"We don't like that we weren't notified," said Jon Weaks, president of the Southwest Airlines Pilots Association.

"The companies and the pilots should have been informed," Weaks said. "It makes us question, 'Is that everything, guys?' I would hope there are no more surprises out there."
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:57 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
From a layman's point of view:

Plane crashed

INDONESIA investigates and basically alleges that

there was sensor failure
this sensor failure pointed the plane into the ocean
BOEING was basically at fault because the pilots didn't even know what to do or have time

Boeing does not deny this.... and seems to freely admit that their training to pilots and manuals were lacking

So, why again aren't these planes grounded until they can sort out:

why was there a sensor failure?
why are the computers programmed to point planes into the ocean... if the AI is that 'dumb' there is a problem
why isn't this 'suicidal system' discussed in manuals or training?
how does BOEING know that their half assed directive solves the problem?

I think everyone is complacent ( ' now that they know what happened, these planes are safe ' is the logic) due to the overwhelming history of airline safety.

And anecdotes of "they've been flying these since 2017, and I've had no problem" are worthless

This just shows how the FAA and federal government are at the teat of Boeing's and the airlines' lobbyists
Old Nov 14, 2018, 3:01 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
]

The "secret" now having been revealed, I suspect every flightcrew is now intimately familiar with the design of the new feature, as well as the proper recovery procedures. Accordingly, I'd have zero issue flying on a 738Max..
Except that

The pilots may have to perform non-intuitive maneuvers in a very short span of time.
There must be only limited data that shows that the "recovery procedures" would work, given how soon this is.

Also, the "within three days" given to enforce the directive shows that even in lifethreatening situations, they won't ground the planes.

If you need to do it within 3 days, you should ground the planes until they can show they complied...
Old Nov 14, 2018, 4:07 pm

Based strictly on what's in the media (and not on any insider knowledge, since I'm retired, and not privy to any) it would appear that WN, AA, and the other Max operators were completely unaware of this "double secret" safety protection feature due to a rather serious omission in the manuals. If that actually proves to be the case, well, it doesn't look good on a variety of levels.

I hesitate to use the word "victim" here, but it appears that WN, AA, and others (especially JT) were dealt a bad hand by the folks in Seattle.

If I were WN and their pilots, I'd be mad as hell. It would make me wonder what else Boeing is hiding. Now, I'm sure WN doesn't want to ground their MAX fleet but if I'm the FAA knowing that Boeing withheld important data like this I might be looking at grounding the aircraft until Boeing can get a software fix in place. Sure, the pilots now know what do to, but in critical manual flight, like right before landing with perhaps only 200 feet to recover, there may not be enough altitude and time to recover from a severe nose-down trim situation. Perhaps Boeing can disable this feature via software update until they figure out the problem.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by texashoser
If I were WN and their pilots, I'd be mad as hell..
I hope you didn't take anything I said to somehow infer that everyone at SWA was "happy" about the situation--I can't see how anyone would be. I'm sure the company and pilot group are quite torqued-off about it. Likewise over at AA, and all the other Max operators.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Presumably carriers can potentially put Boeing on the hook for costs involved in temporarily grounding planes. But as partners protecting their bottom lines, the planes are still flying. Risk management apparently says expense savings trumps an abundance of caution.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 7:01 pm

I hope you didn't take anything I said to somehow infer that everyone at SWA was "happy" about the situation--I can't see how anyone would be. I'm sure the company and pilot group are quite torqued-off about it. Likewise over at AA, and all the other Max operators.
I did not.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:37 am

Just read another piece in a reputable newspaper discussing the fact that this system may have been needed because the engines are so heavy that the center of gravity is significantly different than other versions.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:24 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
... because the pilots from a third-world country's airlines that has been refused landing rights in several countries because their pilots and procedures suck didn't even know what to do or have time
FTFY. Who knows what better-trained pilots would have done; "stall training" is up there with "IFR" training on the "stuff ya gotta have down cold to get your wings" list.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:57 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass

Southwest Replaced Flight-Control Sensors of the Kind Implicated in Lion Air Crash

Maintenance logs show Southwest repaired two sensors during weeks before Indonesia crash

Nov. 15, 2018 8:11 p.m. ET
https://www.wsj.com/articles/southwe...=hp_lista_pos2
LegalTender likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 9:29 pm

I'm pretty sure that many Captains will disable the system as soon as they get in the cockpit, trusting their skill and experience more than the guys in Seattle.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I'm pretty sure that many Captains will disable the system as soon as they get in the cockpit, trusting their skill and experience more than the guys in Seattle.
So how would they address differing stall characteristics in the MAX? I'm guessing pilots fly the NG and the MAX interchangeably during the week. To disable a software loop in the Flight Control computer might need a few tests.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 3:00 am
Original Poster

It's kinda hard to be trained on a system with functionality you don't even know exists.

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112

Is this even possible?
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by ursine1
It's kinda hard to be trained on a system with functionality you don't even know exists.

Is this even possible?
According to some of the articles I read there are switched on the console which allow it.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by LegalTender
So how would they address differing stall characteristics in the MAX? I'm guessing pilots fly the NG and the MAX interchangeably during the week. To disable a software loop in the Flight Control computer might need a few tests.
Stall recovery is a standard part of pilot training. Take the plane up to 15,000 feet induce a stall and recover. I'm not sure I'd trust a simulator to get this right but would want to try it in a real airplane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.