Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SW Companion Program...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by JackHenry
Thanks for taking the time to respond... could you clarify a bit more "If you bought SW tickets for the future, then cancelled later and only get travel funds, that never even shows on your credit card."
If you buy a ticket and then cancel it, if it's a WGA fare you get a credit from Southwest (commonly called Travel Funds) usable for up to one year from date of purchase. There is no refund to the credit card therefore no credit card activity to possibly mess up your spend for bonus points. If you purchase a BS or AT fate you have the option of getting a refund or getting a credit.
roundtree likes this.

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Dec 19, 2018 at 9:34 am
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by JackHenry
Thanks for taking the time to respond... could you clarify a bit more "If you bought SW tickets for the future, then cancelled later and only get travel funds, that never even shows on your credit card."
Similar to buying gift cards now for items you don't know you'll need until later, buy phantom Southwest flights well in the future to reach the credit card spend and get CP, and then into next year when you know what real travel you need to book, cancel the phantom flights and use those travel funds to book the real flights...nothing hits the credit card then.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:06 pm

One question on CP, can you add a companion to a flight booked prior to having the CP? If my SO books flights in may/June right now and then she qualifies for the CP in January/Feb, can she then add me to the flight she had already booked? I believe the answer to this is yes but wanted confirmation. Thanks!
Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Yes that is possible.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 3:38 pm

Just to be sure, if I change my companion before the new year, I still have an opportunity to change it 3 times in 2019? In the Program's FAQ, it says 3 times per calendar year, but I just want to make sure I'm reading that correctly. My next flight won't be until March, but I figure i can go ahead and change the companion now to preserve an additional switch in 2019. Thanks.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by GreenPlastic
Just to be sure, if I change my companion before the new year, I still have an opportunity to change it 3 times in 2019? In the Program's FAQ, it says 3 times per calendar year, but I just want to make sure I'm reading that correctly. My next flight won't be until March, but I figure i can go ahead and change the companion now to preserve an additional switch in 2019. Thanks.
it doesn’t matter. At first 2019 usage, you can either use your last 2018 companion (who remains in the WN system as your companion until you tell them otherwise) or designate a new one. Timing depends on whether you want to guarantee seats are available on your preferred flights. You get one initial companion and three changes throughout the calendar year.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by smmrfld

it doesn’t matter. At first 2019 usage, you can either use your last 2018 companion (who remains in the WN system as your companion until you tell them otherwise) or designate a new one. Timing depends on whether you want to guarantee seats are available on your preferred flights. You get one initial companion and three changes throughout the calendar year.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I am flying tomorrow with my daughter as the companion. My first companion flight of 2019 will probably be with my son. I should change my companion to him when I get back from my trip next week, right? It will be my only change of 2018, and it preserves one change for 2019. The reason I ask is that there is still a small chance my first 2019 flight will be with my daughter. If I can make the change next week and preserve a change for 2019 it may affect my 2019 flight choices. Thanks.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by GreenPlastic
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I am flying tomorrow with my daughter as the companion. My first companion flight of 2019 will probably be with my son. I should change my companion to him when I get back from my trip next week, right? It will be my only change of 2018, and it preserves one change for 2019. The reason I ask is that there is still a small chance my first 2019 flight will be with my daughter. If I can make the change next week and preserve a change for 2019 it may affect my 2019 flight choices. Thanks.
See above. It doesn’t matter. Everything re-sets January 1...nothing gets “preserved”. The first companion to fly in 2019 is your initial companion, and you have three changes after that.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by smmrfld

See above. It doesn’t matter. Everything re-sets January 1...nothing gets “preserved”. The first companion to fly in 2019 is your initial companion, and you have three changes after that.
That answers the question...everything resets January 1. I didn't mean preserve in the sense anything carried over, just that if there was a change I want to make, I should do it before the new year, so I would have my full 3 changes in 2019, without having to use one for a change I can make next week.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: None
Again, thanks to both for clarification.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.