Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SW Companion Program...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2018, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by JackHenry
Yes, yes, I do get it now... in this example it would behoove me to spend the 90% after January 1... not before. Thanks

Spend 95% after your December statement closes but don't pass the minimum spend until 1/1/2019 to be safe.

This way all of your points SHOULD post in 2019 but the bonuses will post in 2019 without a doubt

Last edited by flyer4512; Oct 30, 2018 at 10:15 pm
Old Nov 2, 2018, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
Spend 95% after your December statement closes but don't pass the minimum spend until 1/1/2019 to be safe.

This way all of your points SHOULD post in 2019 but the bonuses will post in 2019 without a doubt
Just so I'm clear, are you saying that if the December statement closes on Dec 15th (for example), any spending AFTER that date would earn CPQP in 2019 since the next statement would close in January 2019?

I'm currently planning my CP strategy and this is really helpful info!
Old Nov 2, 2018, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by greenmozart
Just so I'm clear, are you saying that if the December statement closes on Dec 15th (for example), any spending AFTER that date would earn CPQP in 2019 since the next statement would close in January 2019?

Yes.

Unless Chase unexpectedly drops a statement on you. Or a vendor double-charges you (even if immediately reversed). Or you get hit with a fraudulent charge. Or your wife/GF charges something without your knowledge.

To be as safe as possible, charge on Jan 1.

Every year people mess this up somehow.

birdiedouble likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 3:38 pm

All good points. Now if only I could do all my Christmas shopping after Jan 1.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by greenmozart

Chances are you will be ok making 95% after the December statement closes and the final 5% on or after 1/1/2019, just check your math.

Personally I make the Southwest spends for CP all on January 1 via buying Costco gift cards, I don't use the cards at all until 1/1/xxxx so the chance of fraud pushing me over is around zero
Old Nov 3, 2018, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Just a reminder... some charges in December will NOT hit RapidRewards in Dec. Once the billing for your December statement closes, everything else will go on the bill/statement for January.

For example, if you billing close date is Dec 18th, ,everything on that statement will count in 2018. Then on January 18th, they cut another statement. Those transfer to Rapid Rewards in January 2019. People make this too complicated.

EVERYTHING RUNS OFF THE MONTHLY STATEMENT.
With a bill statement of Dec 18th, and you bought something even before the 18th but it has not hit the statement, it will count in 2019.
EVERYTHING you buy after the billing period closes will hit in 2019. So, you could spend $5,000 on Dec 19th and it will count in 2019.

Never try to figure out exactly which day something will hit - 17th, 18th, 19th. Different systems could put similar charges on different dates. But, for sure - 100% - once the billing period closes, it will not go back, only forward.
roundtree likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 6:13 pm

Need your advice how to get a SW companion ticket.

Here is my snapshot:
I have exceeded the Chase 5/24 rule so can't apply for another card for another year.
I have 600k in Marriott points (I reference this because 1-2 years ago there was a promo from SPG that earned Southwest Companion ticket, Marriott Hotel and approx 100k SW points as I recall. My wife's current companion card expires on 12/31/18).
I have earned 33k of 110k miles so far this year.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by atwnsw2

Here is my snapshot:
I have exceeded the Chase 5/24 rule so can't apply for another card for another year.
I have 600k in Marriott points (I reference this because 1-2 years ago there was a promo from SPG that earned Southwest Companion ticket, Marriott Hotel and approx 100k SW points as I recall. My wife's current companion card expires on 12/31/18).

Hotel transfers are done..........they no longer qualify for CP.

You need to earn 77,000 Companion pass points by 12/31/2018 or you start back at zero on 1/1/2019.

Is your wife 4/24 or less ? If so have her get CP again

Last edited by flyer4512; Nov 9, 2018 at 7:30 pm
Old Nov 10, 2018, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by atwnsw2

Here is my snapshot:

Almost certainly too late for you this year. Start thinking about qualifying as early as you can in 2019.

If you cannot get the CC, you either have to fly a lot or if you have a Southwest card, spend a lot.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: None
Seeing the suggestion of purchasing Costco gift cards... what other cards would be optimum choice for this strategy should anybody out there have gone this route before. Looking to pay taxes this year through Plastiq or similar service. We are traveling to Martinique in January and Quebec in July and our Chase Reserve card offers cancellation protection and 3x on travel... so while we plan on some domestic travel in 2019/20... it is tough to figure the value of SW card spend over Reserve card spend.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Seeing the suggestion of purchasing Costco gift cards... what other cards would be optimum choice for this strategy should anybody out there have gone this route before. Looking to pay taxes this year through Plastiq or similar service. We are traveling to Martinique in January and Quebec in July and our Chase Reserve card offers cancellation protection and 3x on travel... so while we plan on some domestic travel in 2019/20... it is tough to figure the value of SW card spend over Reserve card spend.
I am a bit confused on this post... you seem to have a couple of questions mixed in. But, will give it a shot.

As to Costco gift cards to meet you your spend. Really, just about any gift card that goes through a normal register such that it appears to be normal spending. Grocery store, gas stations, amazon, etc. Anyplace you know you will be spending money in the future anyways.

Using Chase Reserve vs SW is a personal choice. The reserve does have some protections and benefits for travel worth considering. The 3x for travel would not be a reason if you need to reach your spend, in my book.

Another way to reach spend quickly is to buy a vacation package, cruise, refundable air ticket for a date well into the future, then cancel it later. This does have the risk of a clawback if the credit card company figures it out and wants to be a jerk. If you bought SW tickets for the future, then cancelled later and only get travel funds, that never even shows on your credit card.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 2:24 pm

Any gift card that works for you is fine, I prefer Costco for a few reasons

1. We spend a lot of $$ there so I know I will use them.

2. They don't come activated and for a person other than yourself ( or a family member) to activate the gift card would be next to impossible.

3. If you lost a activated card or it was stolen any person who uses it would have to have a Costco account so the purchase is traceable.

4. There are no fees to purchase Costco gift cards

5. Costco has gift cards in store for restaurants we eat at for 75 -80% of face value, ( $100 in GC costs $75 or $80) so we use our costco gift cards to purchase restaurant gift card as we need them.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

re: gift cards.

Yes, we buy LOTS of those restaurant cards and keep them in the car. Another good way to meet your spend quickly.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
SWA cut off and Refer a Friend

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Just a reminder...

EVERYTHING RUNS OFF THE MONTHLY STATEMENT.
With a bill statement of Dec 18th, and you bought something even before the 18th but it has not hit the statement, it will count in 2019.
EVERYTHING you buy after the billing period closes will hit in 2019. So, you could spend $5,000 on Dec 19th and it will count in 2019.
Although I agree 100%, I like to be 100% safe in case Chase or SWA changes their plan without notification. So I spend up to $950 in Dec and then on 1 Jan spend for the items I have waited to purchase until 2019. It would be DISASTER if Chase changed my cut off to 29 Dec and my bonus got posted as 2018.

PS. Has anyone recently been able to use Refer a Friend for SWA 10k bonus points. When I try I get an error message. Maybe because my card is only 40 days old? Or is there something I am missing?? thanks.

Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: None
Thanks for taking the time to respond... could you clarify a bit more "If you bought SW tickets for the future, then cancelled later and only get travel funds, that never even shows on your credit card."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.