Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing a flight after Early Bird Purchase

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2015, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Changing a flight after Early Bird Purchase

My wife and I booked a flight, but recently one with better times became cheaper. I think I'm reading things correctly, but I wanted to ask here:

Can I make the change to my flight (same origin, destination and dates) to the new time and connection without losing my Early Bird check-in?

If it matters, I'm booked PIT-PUJ (via ATL) and I'd like to switch to PIT-PUJ (via BWI). Thanks
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:50 pm

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle; IHG Spire elite; Marriott & SPG Gold, r
If an EarlyBird Check-In Customer chooses to change a flight, will the EarlyBird Check-In options transfer to the new flight?

"It depends. EarlyBird Check-In is tied to the Customer’s reservation for which the EarlyBird Check-In purchase was made and will be transferred to the Customer’s new flight if he/she changes the flight at least 25 hours prior to the original flight’s scheduled departure time and so long as the change is to a flight that will depart in more than 25 hours. Since EarlyBird Check-In is associated with a reservation, any changes must be made within the same reservation record (same confirmation number) in which the Customer purchased EarlyBird Check-In."
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:58 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Change not cancel and re-book.

A cancel loses non-refundable EBCI funds even if you rebook a different routing same day.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by traveller001

A cancel loses non-refundable EBCI funds even if you rebook a different routing same day.
Except how does this work with CP reservations?

CP reservations need to be cancelled before I can change my reservation. So, I never buy EBCI for my designated companion because I don't see how you can accomplish a change without cancelling and losing the EBCI fee.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:37 pm

Change ^^^ -- Cancel

There is no secret (to the secret noodle soup). To make this work. just call customer service, be nice, and ask them to change the flight and transfer your EB. I'm done this to change my flight and companion's EB request dozens of times. 100% success. If you cancel it's gone with no way to get it back.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 5:41 am

Programs: WN, UA, HHonors, MR
Originally Posted by traveller001

Found this out the hard way. Similar situation to the OP, a fare sale popped up way cheaper, and the wife decided to hurry up and change it to the cheaper fare. Instead of changing it, she canceled it and the EBCI went bye bye. Lesson learned.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Amicus
Except how does this work with CP reservations?

CP reservations need to be cancelled before I can change my reservation. So, I never buy EBCI for my designated companion because I don't see how you can accomplish a change without cancelling and losing the EBCI fee.
Just call Reservations. I did this exact thing last night. No issues at all.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1.050MM, PersonalCar 0.275MM
I was sad to have gotten bitten by this issue earlier this week. One of the rare situations where cancelling and rebooking isn't equivalent to changing.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by pshuang
I was sad to have gotten bitten by this issue earlier this week. One of the rare situations where cancelling and rebooking isn't equivalent to changing.
That is why I don't buy EBCI until a few days before a flight...just in case I have to cancel.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:57 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Originally Posted by NoShoesNation
Just call Reservations. I did this exact thing last night. No issues at all.
Just keep in mind that once the phone representatives touch your reservation you will have to call in to make any future changes to it.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by alggag
Just keep in mind that once the phone representatives touch your reservation you will have to call in to make any future changes to it.
I have often wondered about this. Is there some obvious IT reason this has to be the case? Is it the same on other airlines?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Is there some obvious IT reason this has to be the case?
No.

Is it the same on other airlines?
No.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Carrying a baby seat trumps A-11 any day, seen 14 people jump the line all looking out for the 4 children,

Got off a flight the other day and seen 2 wheelchair ladies, dismiss the chair pushers at the first bathroom, no tip.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:51 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
Originally Posted by satman40
Carrying a baby seat trumps A-11 any day, seen 14 people jump the line all looking out for the 4 children,

Got off a flight the other day and seen 2 wheelchair ladies, dismiss the chair pushers at the first bathroom, no tip.
Its must be a miracle that they can walk again
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Originally Posted by alggag
I have often wondered about this. Is there some obvious IT reason this has to be the case? Is it the same on other airlines?
Club Carlson reservations have a similar flaw - once the hotel touches a guest's reservation (even if months in advance of a stay), that guest can no longer change or cancel it online (even before the cancellation deadline ).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.