Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Midway chicago

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2019, 6:40 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Way too many variables that impact some and not others.

If you fly THROUGH MDW, you could care less about security wait times, parking fees, public transportation, ride-hailing prices.
Absolutely, I must have transferred here 100+ times since the 1999/2000 remodel and absolutely enjoyed it except for the gate crowding. O/D exactly 3 times in 20 years and it was a PITA every time like ATL or LGA.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 6:53 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
How MDW ranks twenty positions below ORD is even more baffling. Must be the lounge thing.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:04 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by joshua362
{snip}enjoyed it except for the gate crowding. {snip}
Exactly this - my wife and I flew in and out of MDW this past July, and the only things we could really complain about were the over crowding around the end of the B concourse (there were so many people in that area we didn't could find one available seat to sit in anywhere near there) and somewhat vague signage to get to the rental car shuttle. Otherwise we thought it was very clean and friendly at least, and the food was half-okay.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by lo2e
Exactly this - my wife and I flew in and out of MDW this past July, and the only things we could really complain about were the over crowding around the end of the B concourse (there were so many people in that area we didn't could find one available seat to sit in anywhere near there)
Ha ha I seem to be a magnet for those B-22 to- B-26 gates too. Having five or six gates all grouped together at the end of the corridor it fills up fast!
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
Ha ha I seem to be a magnet for those B-22 to- B-26 gates too. Having five or six gates all grouped together at the end of the corridor it fills up fast!
Indeed, not uncommon to see people taking to the floors in this area. Sort of MDW's own tiny version of SAN's Circle of Hell...
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EX-AA Explat, WN Loyalist
[QUOTE=ursine1;30033768]Anyone who thinks the area around Midway is a bad neighborhood hasn't been to a bad neighborhood.[/QUOT

My exact thought when he said MDW was in a bad neighborhood... By Chicago standards, it actually is typical working class neighborhoods...
Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:08 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by leeinct
My exact thought when he said MDW was in a bad neighborhood... By Chicago standards, it actually is typical working class neighborhoods...
I thought the same, we went to the Dunkin Donuts just down the road before our flight back to MHT and it seemed like an okay neighborhood to me. I didn't feel unsafe at all.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:06 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
While we're back on Midway TPG posted this article to accompany the "study" that ranked MDW as the worst: https://thepointsguy.com/guide/visit...hicago-midway/

I personally thought the write up was pretty ridiculous and read like somebody who went in already deciding that they hated WN and MDW and decided to work backwards from that already established conclusion. I also find it hilarious that the author was traveling to/from LGA and still decided that MDW was so much more terrible.

I agree that MDW is not my definition of first class luxury but I fail to see how ORD outranks it much less LGA.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender
That's telling him.

Any item you don't want to lose in your baggage is valuable, so the rebuke is vagrant.

Passanger security is conscientiously spelled out at MDW.

Is that a regional or dialectic use of the word "vagrant"? I do not understand your meaning there at all.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by trooper
Is that a regional or dialectic use of the word "vagrant"? I do not understand your meaning there at all.
Errant or rootless is the gist. Minor variant of the eastern Dakotas dialect.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by alggag
While we're back on Midway TPG posted this article to accompany the "study" that ranked MDW as the worst: https://thepointsguy.com/guide/visit...hicago-midway/

I personally thought the write up was pretty ridiculous and read like somebody who went in already deciding that they hated WN and MDW and decided to work backwards from that already established conclusion. I also find it hilarious that the author was traveling to/from LGA and still decided that MDW was so much more terrible.

I agree that MDW is not my definition of first class luxury but I fail to see how ORD outranks it much less LGA.

I have to agree. The writer made a trip to MDW just to study things and really seemed to be in a bad mood. Based on the report, finding a decent place to eat is just about impossible. We have only been there a couple of times and seemed to do just fine.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by lo2e
... and the food was half-okay.
My wife certainly doesn't care for MDW, it's ok to me. But the last time I was there, I made the mistake of getting Home Run Pizza for lunch. While I wasn't expecting Lou Malnatti's, that was amongst the worst pizza I ever had. Generic frozen pizza has a 50/50 shot of being better. I think I'll stick to the sandwich shops tomorrow when I pass through.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:34 am

MDW is fine. But the new food options are significantly worse than the previous ones in nearly all respects. I now eat before the airport unless it's impossible.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 12:14 pm

Holy @*&! that points guy list is bad, and the 'review' of MDW is even worse. MDW is certainly not the best, and I agree with above comments about declining food quality, but not in any universe is it the worst. MCI deserves last on any list, forever and ever, but I can still name at least 10 more I'd rank below MDW.
ursine1 and obunewbie17 like this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
MDW is fine. But the new food options are significantly worse than the previous ones in nearly all respects.
I agree 100%. I've lamented here many times about the loss of the McDonald's breakfast options for those A.M. departures. I haven't found a good alternative.

But I still greatly prefer MDW over ORD for any number of reasons. And like the poster above me, I rank MCI as rock-bottom worst.
jmw, Franklin7777 and ursine1 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.