Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pay airfare or use SW VISA to purchase point?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2018, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Platinum, National Executive Elite

What's the best option or way to figure out? Just signed up for SW VISA and should have in a few days. Not currently Alist on RR.

I have about 45000 but will need 11500 for family trip. Not sure if I'll have the 40K bonus points in time.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Platinum, National Executive Elite
Looks like buying points to use on wanna get away is quite a bit more. Any advantage to buying points vs. purchasing tickets? Just wanna make sure I'm not missing something
Old Jun 20, 2018, 12:03 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Buying tickets is always cheaper than buying points and redeeming them.

Your Visa bonus will post 2 days after statement date if you meet the spending threshold (not including the annual fee!!) at least 5 days before statement date. If your trip is soon, it may be more expensive by the time your bonus posts.

If you have Chase Ultimate Rewards points you can transfer them to Southwest. If you have Chase Sapphire Reserve you can redeem UR points at 1.5 cents each toward Southwest travel which is even better value, but it requires a phone call.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Very seldom will you come out ahead buying points.

Old Jun 20, 2018, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
As said, buying points is often a poor deal. It is sometimes good when someone just needs a bit more for a trip.

The REAL ANSWER though it to just do the math. How many points would it cost to get a ticket, and how much would THOSE points cost? Is that more or less than just paying cash?

As to getting the bonus points with a new card - even if you spend enough this week on the new card, the bonus will not post until AFTER your statement closes. Keep that in mind.

As to getting tickets - no idea how far in future you are talking about, but keep in mind both the lower point and lower dollar seats will go away in time. Waiting might cost you. At least get the tickets you can today. No value or reason to wait at all. (somebody give me a reason)
Old Jun 21, 2018, 10:50 am

If I were planning a family trip and was a little short of points I'd purchase my ticket with cash and use points for the family. That way if you cancel you get to use the TTF and the points go back into your account. That's a better value that buying points, assuming you can use the TTF before it expires. The problem with purchasing tickets for infrequent fliers is the the funds get locked to the name of someone who doesn't fly very often and you may lose the funds.

Also is the original post correct? It looks to me like you have enough points or am I missing something.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.