Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wanna Get Away Sold out 5 months out?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wrp96
For FLL purposes, that weekend you are looking to return is usually one of the biggest, if not the absolute biggest, in numbers of cruise passengers sailing in and our of Port Everglades and Port of Miami for the year, with the weekend before being only slightly less (because this is when all the ships return to south Florida for the winter from Europe and Alaska). I know on cruise boards, just like here, there are people specifically watching for Southwest to open booking and I can guarantee for that specific time period lots of people booked as soon as bookings open.
Does West Palm Beach (PBI) work as an alternate, or is that affected too?
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:47 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I found the same thing as OP. These seats were never made available under WGA fares because they are peak day travel to peak destinations. They did not "sell out" in a matter of minutes (absurd)
I purchased WGA fares at 7AM that were no longer available by 7PM for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. I guess I am lying?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo
I found the same thing as OP. These seats were never made available under WGA fares because they are peak day travel to peak destinations. They did not "sell out" in a matter of minutes (absurd)
It's not absurd. I frequent a Disney World website that has message boards like FlyerTalk. Some people there wait breathlessly for Southwest to extend their schedules. When they open flights, those people pounce...particularly for flights around holidays.

It's the same thing that wrp96 mentioned regarding cruise passengers. And, it's what pgh234 described with her or his holiday flights.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
It's not absurd. I frequent a Disney World website that has message boards like FlyerTalk. Some people there wait breathlessly for Southwest to extend their schedules. When they open flights, those people pounce...particularly for flights around holidays.
Which is funny how much they talk about it, because I'm sure the lurkers on that site just take in all that information and pounce just as fast...if not faster...than the talkers do.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by writerguyfl

It's the same thing that wrp96 mentioned regarding cruise passengers. And, it's what pgh234 described with her or his holiday flights.
Obviously I don't track every route and I am sure there are some peak flights that sell out quickly.. But when I see full price without WGA on all flights across the board for several peak dates before and after Thanksgiving I know that WN never released WGA and is looking to gouge everyone at full fare. As other commentators noted some cities are even completely excluded from the sale, another

We will see how well that works. In the past I have been successful in waiting for the inevitable discount (if not on the highest peak date, then one nearby) as other carriers do not utilize the same revenue management system.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: Southwest Airlines, Marriot
PBI is the most expensive route from ISP--->PBI

Experienced Southwest flyers purchase tickets for "holidays" the minute they go on sale.

12/22-12/31 ISP-PBI is close to $1000 r/t currently
Old Jun 10, 2018, 8:38 pm

As soon as the extended schedule opened for booking, I booked two RTs from a medium-size midwest city to RSW, and managed to get the lowest fare buckets. Two days later, the return flight on an 800 no longer had any WGA seats available, and the outbound fare had tripled.

The travel dates were during the second week of November.

Yes, I was one of those who was awake before dawn, refreshing the WN booking page, till it continued. It reminded me of waiting to check in at T-24, with the exception of not quite knowing the time that the extended booking window would open.

The schedule opened about an hour later, than usual.
Jaimito Cartero likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.